dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 31-12-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Riding in the US or Canada?

Hi DBW'ers.

I'm fortunate to have done a few overseas bike trips in recent years, Cambodia, then Vietnam.
For those who haven't done anything like this, combining two great loves is as awesome as you'd imagine. Epic sights, different cultures, exotic food and great riding.

Anyway, plan from here is to do 1 trip a year, been looking at options in Spain, Morocco, Northern parts of Africa and even Mongolia.

Recently I've been looking into the US or Canada, as unlike non English speaking countries, hiring some bikes and doing your own thing is more realistic.

Unfortunately the fully guided tours I've seen in North America tend to be obscenely priced (often over $700 a day!), which is another reason the independent thing seems more doable.
Plan would likely be to base ourselves is somewhere like Oregon if we went to the US, hire bikes, a truck and ride for a few weeks in various parts. There seems to be a few options available here, with riding areas clearly marked, but I'm sure other states would be attractive too.

Anyone done anything like this, where did you go, how much did it cost you, and what advice would you offer?
One option is one of the various MX camps (which look awesome), but my riding group is on the wrong side of 30 to enjoy those and escape injury free.

www.bioflexnutrition.com.au - Australia's purest supplements with dirt bike specific endurance products being developed.
Old 31-12-2016
The "One" and only

The US isn't like here Hoppy, most states are pretty populated and long distance trail rides are rare, CO, AZ, NV, NM, UT, are OK but not like here.

The MX camps are generally held at well-prepped super loamy tracks, getting hurt is very rare. The first time I went to a MX camp I was 50. The kids there were fine with me and I had a ball.

Touring the US in a roady is cheap and fun. Make sure the bike has cruise control. Next big trip I do over there will be a road tour with dirtbike hire at various stops.

Timely post, we were only starting to plan the trip yesterday.

Make sure your travel insurance covers riding bikes and includes medivac back home.
Old 31-12-2016
dbw Pro Champion

Good post Nut.
Hopkins: Suss out edog200... He's a member here on DBW... Below is his YouTube page.

https://www.youtube.com/user/edog200/videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr3VHi6LQ5M
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 31-12-2016
dbw Pro Addict

Location: Mt Druitt West, used to live in Mt Druitt East, also lived in Mt Druitt North and South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
The US isn't like here Hoppy, most states are pretty populated and long distance trail rides are rare, CO, AZ, NV, NM, UT, are OK but not like here.

The MX camps are generally held at well-prepped super loamy tracks, getting hurt is very rare. The first time I went to a MX camp I was 50. The kids there were fine with me and I had a ball.

Touring the US in a roady is cheap and fun. Make sure the bike has cruise control. Next big trip I do over there will be a road tour with dirtbike hire at various stops.

Timely post, we were only starting to plan the trip yesterday.

Make sure your travel insurance covers riding bikes and includes medivac back home.
Nutty, got a prob with this, the yanks have more snowmobile tracks/trails then freeways[twice], which gets used by atvs/side by sides etc summer time, and that's just the snow areas.
Old 31-12-2016
dbw Pro Legend

if you did hit canada, i reckon being based somewhere in or near vancouver would be cool. some amazing riding in those areas and they reckon it's good most of the year but the middle of winter tends to be just a constant drizzle for two months.

i didn't get to explore it last year, but apparently lots of great riding just over the border in washington state.

their public health system will cover you up to 250cc, after that you need travel insurance to be covered.

most of the footage in this vid was 40 to 90 mins away from vancouver.

Old 01-01-2017
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by poper View Post
Nutty, got a prob with this, the yanks have more snowmobile tracks/trails then freeways[twice], which gets used by atvs/side by sides etc summer time, and that's just the snow areas.
We would have 10,000 times the length of our freeways in gazetted dirt roads. Does that make it 'trail riding' as we know it? Not in my book. Just commenting on what I've experienced over there Popes.

No doubt there's great riding over there but it all depends on the same ingredient as here, specific local knowledge and some sort of hook-up.

Techically you can't ride offroad in CA unless you're on a green sticker bike in a OHV park. Reality is, I can take you for a 3 hour trail ride on a 2T MX bike an hour from LA.

I suppose it's a bit like here, where you can't ride S/T in a State Forest or National Park...
Old 01-01-2017
dbw Pro Legend

When i went to BC about 18mths ago, i got talking to a local Enduro gun who said he was about to start racing in the usa enduro series, he said there was lots of places to ride most of the year, so Vancouver would be a good base point
Old 02-01-2017
dbw Factory Pro

america and Canada are on my list let us know what bike hire options you find.I just got back from the South Island of NZ and couldn't recommend it highly enough just an option closer to home. $160 a day hire on a 690 from Christchurch and super remote back country with mountain huts. Also Romania is so good I have been twice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.4 KB, 23 views)
2004 YZ240F
1991 DR250
1975 TC100 !
Old 03-01-2017
dbw Pro

Colorado is fantastic, particularly the rocky mountains. Its a challenge to cover more than 160km of trails in one day, I was wrecked after 4 days camping and riding. I have friends there who loaned me a spare bike. My advice would be to get connected over there if possible and scour craigslist for a well maintained bargain. you only need to ride for 4 days on a $3000 bike before you're breaking even with $700 a day rental
Old 03-01-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Many thanks for the responses, fellas.

Going through them one by one, Nutty, that is really interesting to hear about the MX camps. The tracks do look awesome, and from what I have seen the packages available offer great value for money.
Personally, a trip like that would be top of the list, its not something you can really do as easily anywhere else in the world, with the US being MX central.

The plan with hiring the bikes btw, was to place ourselves in a certain state and do day trips all over the place. I can see that the week long rides where you stay overnight as you ride are going to be much harder to organise, near impossible.

Barry, I have seen your videos on Canada and they're part of the reason why that became a consideration. Doesn't seem like as many bike hire options available there, but the riding looks awesome, and there's clearly a lot more space to do really long trips if we wanted to.

321, I have looked at a few bike hire options, however these guys seem to have the best deal. http://www.eaglerider.com/dirt-bike-rentals

If you go through their options and pick a WR250F (IMO the best bike there) you can get the cost down to about $80 U.S a day when renting for 12 days or so. They offer really big discounts when you keep the bike for over a week or so.
If you were happy to ride a CRF250X then you can get that to under $70 US a day.

Locations for each bike are limited though, ie if you want a WR you pick it up in Oregon, a CRF in Maryland.

www.bioflexnutrition.com.au - Australia's purest supplements with dirt bike specific endurance products being developed.