dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 11-01-2017
dbw Pro

It happens ..

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...cial-f5irehose
Dakar '17 Stage 8
Quote from Sam 'Sandbagger' Sunderland, overnight...
“I think you win the Dakar on the bad days, not on the good days”
...... "The second part was going good, but then it was a bit frustrating. I was crossing a river full of stones and I managed to clip the rear disk and bent the disk, so for the last one hundred kilometres I had no rear brake which makes things a little bit interesting on a surface like this, a kind of WRC-style hard-pack that was really slippery. I had a few scary moments with the braking, but I tried to keep in mind that I had no rear brake.
Old 11-01-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Gonna order this MC seal kit but wanna confirm it is indeed the same as the ktms. Don't spose sumone could confirm by posting a pic of rear brake MC could they? It's the smaller rear brembo with a 21mm(I think) hex head cap n long pointed plunger type actuator thingy. Can't find a listing for 2013 husqvarna wr125

Sorry cancel that it looks to be the same as an '09 530exc rear MC. Wat year did they run these type to on the ktms? Just want to make sure the kit I get is the correct one.

All balls part # 18-1028(for berg 70' n ktm up to '12) is wat I think I need?!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Well seems it's not the MC after all. New kit thru n same same. The old piston had 3 little notches in top seal(in middle of seal not near top or bottom edge) but other than that looks good. Keep for a spare I guess. Reverse bled, no air, clean fluid.

I can see the piston pulse with free play adjusted but it won't cum out any further. I'm assuming it's jus not holding pressure after momentarily being actuated. Mite pop piston out n have a look now
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Errr so how would one get a fully recessed piston out of the caliper?

I'm ahh, asking on behalf of a mate.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Compressed air through the fluid inlet hole and put a rag between the piston and caliper.
If this does not work I have had to tap a screw into the piston to pull them out - requires new piston.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
Well seems it's not the MC after all. New kit thru n same same. The old piston had 3 little notches in top seal(in middle of seal not near top or bottom edge) but other than that looks good. Keep for a spare I guess. Reverse bled, no air, clean fluid.

I can see the piston pulse with free play adjusted but it won't cum out any further. I'm assuming it's jus not holding pressure after momentarily being actuated. Mite pop piston out n have a look now
In some MC there is usually a very tiny bleed hole, is that blocked?

If MC is working and piston faulty fluid should be leaking with every pump!

Of coarse you put the new seals in the right way around.
Something is blocked or you have air.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

They can only go one way. Yeh I'm stumped. Everything looked clean n how it should be

Fluid comes out clear n no air that I can tell. I don't get it cos fluid level drops as per norm wen bleedin/crackin nipple. All I can think of is the piston seal is shot so it won't grip/stick on calliper wall when u pump it out it jus pulses(out a mm then bak to wher it started).

I wanna punch sumthn.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro

Is the pedal adjusted correct so the MC goes all the way back to the rest position.?

My guess is you still have a MC problem as it is not pushing fluid thru the system.
If the caliper is faulty it will leak fluid or it can cease up. You dont appear to have either problem.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
DBW Clubman

Outside the square a bit mate but have you checked the condition of the hose. It could have a flaw that's bulging under pressure but ok when bleeding.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450MAN View Post
Compressed air through the fluid inlet hole and put a rag between the piston and caliper.
If this does not work I have had to tap a screw into the piston to pull them out - requires new piston.
Do this.

I ended up removing the caliper and putting a thin bit of timber where the disc normally goes....otherwise as you blow in compressed air into the bleed nipple (remove the nipple first and use the blow gun attachment) and it shoots the piston up to the roof.
Luckily it whizzed past my face and not straight into my eye

Once it's out you may need to use some fine wet/dry paper and some brake fluid to smoothen up the piston if it's gotten all manky and stuck in the first place.