dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Proudly Sponsored by Mainjet Motorcycles

Old 14-05-2006
dbw Pro Legend

Talking Job Done, Thanks Luke_N

I serviced the forks and changed the seals out yesterday I used the above how to and the manual for torque settings only. I rigged up a similar oil depth gauge costing $2.75 and used the 50mm PVC pipe method to seat the bush and seals with some stuffing around.

Thanks Luke I'd never seen the inside of a fork and your guide made it easy
Old 29-07-2006
hidden

Thanks Luke. Just changed my fork seals and still can't believe how easy it was.
Old 29-07-2006
dbw Pro Legend

Talking fork seals

First time I've seen that thread, bloody top stuff! Brilliant photos, I've got some riding buddies that will appreciate this information. I've been useing the plastic pipe seal driver method for years, no dramas, then about 6 months ago I bought the proper seal driver for my forks and haven't needed them yet. Never been more than a coupla months between leaky seals before that. Haven't had a flat tyre since I've been carrying a spare tube either!

2004 KLR650 easyrider, for the longhaul

03 WR450 GONE
Old 03-08-2006
dbw Pro

I'd be interested to know how often a fork seal/oil change should be done on a bike like mine which is a WR450 used recreationally.

Any ideas???
96 - XR250

www.a1fireandsafety.com.au
Old 10-09-2006
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindo
I'd be interested to know how often a fork seal/oil change should be done on a bike like mine which is a WR450 used recreationally.

Any ideas???
When it starts leaking

However I like to change my oil every 12mths (which is about how often you need to replace KTM seals ). It makes a big difference when you first change it over. It's like tuning your car, it goes off over time and you don't notice it till it's tuned up again
Old 12-09-2006
dbw Pro

Black poly pipe is what I use.you only need one cut and you can force open the pipe and slip it over the fork tube,it will give a more even down force.
Just because your seals have started leaking doesnt mean they are stuffed.Some times its dirt caught around the seal lips.A feeler gauge up into the seals and moved around with the help of wd40 or silicon spray will often fix it.
Old 17-05-2007
dbw Pro

only just came accross this of late, What can i say but truly amazing guide
just finished doing my seals and all that was wrong was 1 bush was knackered and seals leaking, was so easy as i had this guide to look upon while i was doing it cheers, the pictures make it a easy job to do better than the stupid manual
Old 28-05-2007
dbw Pro

Here's a neat little trick if you have seals that leak after a short time. Next time you replace them remove the two seal springs (inner and outer) on each seal and shorten them by 5 mm. This will give you a better seal. I have tried this on old seals and it works great. Most seals leak too quickly after changing because they are just not tight enough around the fork.

12 months out of a set of seals is just shit. Try this little fix first.
Old 20-01-2008
dbw Pro

Just finished doing a set of seals. It is a lot easier then people may think. Great write up.
If i had of read this before hand i would have done a few things differently :/
Next time i can do it all proper! Good stuff.
Old 10-07-2009
dbw Pro

Great write up. However, does anyone know if the conventional or non-inverted forks are similar to replace the seals on. I am a weekend warrior when it comes to mechanics but I would like to be able to save the $140 that the dealer wants to do the job. The bike in question is a 1999 KTM 300 EXC. Thanks in advance for any replies.