dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > KTM Forum

KTM Forum If it's Orange it's in here. Proudly sponsored by www.mainjet.com.au

Old 20-07-2008
dbw Pro

Mystery Noise 06' 300

I have an 06 KTM 300 with 75 hours and 3000k's on the clock. Engine is strong no complaints. I have a vibrating metal sound at low rev's and not sure if it could be the PV actuating arm or piston slap. It could well be due for a piston change although if anybody has encountered this before it would be helpful to know where to start. BTW This has only just started happening and is not a normal 2st sound. The sound could best be described as a "rattle" and disappears when revs build.

Any Ideas???
Old 20-07-2008
dbw Pro

up date

I have just removed the control cover to the PV near the top of the cylinder. There seems to be a bit of play in the main shaft that runs from on side to the other. If I wobble is it makes the same sound that I hear when at low revs. Probably due to no tension on the PV system. I know it sounds like I am answering my own thread but is this normal? has anybody fixed this? or is it a case of leave it until it breaks?
Old 21-07-2008
dbw Pro

assuming no pipe guard fitted , have youchecked exterior stuff like pipe mounts, my 2t always cracks the pipe mounting brackets and it has a strange ratttle at a certain rev because of it, engine mounts tight , rad guards. 2t can get a harmonic vibration happening if somethings not mounted up right, just asking ,so your sure it's in the motor. try a long screw driver to place load on pipe, engine ,radiators and the like , just that motor sounds young.
Old 21-07-2008
dbw Pro

no, don't wait till it breaks mate, it may leave a path of destruction.
just a thought, can u run it with the cover off, little hole where the push rod comes from the water pump, may spash a little oil. exhaust gasses shouldn't be entering either, should be good to run it with the cover off.
Old 21-07-2008
dbw Pro Addict

There is a pin for the pv assembly in the rhs cover that has been known to come loose (sometimes dropping into the rhs engine case. Check that the pv is operating as it should - when you pull the rod up or down it should actuate the gears / valves properly.
Old 21-07-2008
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALDI View Post
I have an 06 KTM 300 with 75 hours and 3000k's on the clock. Engine is strong no complaints. I have a vibrating metal sound at low rev's and not sure if it could be the PV actuating arm or piston slap. It could well be due for a piston change although if anybody has encountered this before it would be helpful to know where to start. BTW This has only just started happening and is not a normal 2st sound. The sound could best be described as a "rattle" and disappears when revs build.

Any Ideas???
Does the rattle change it's sound when you pull the clutch in?
Old 21-07-2008
dbw Pro Addict

Sounds similar to what I had and I discovered my number plate was loose....
Old 21-07-2008
dbw Pro Addict

Thumbs up

comeon boys , that sound is the pipe vibrating inside the exhaust port as the o'rings are worn and the sound will change as the bike warms up and the pipe expands etc , bet ya if you put new o'rings on the pipe it will stop ,while your at the bearing place get 6 more as spares ,pre -order them so they can have them there for you viton o'rings look up your manuel for sizing do a top end piston kit at 120 hours , make sure you change the o'ring on the bottom of the barrel on the right hand side for the power valve actuator arm as well ,it leaks oil .
Old 21-07-2008
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sromanin View Post
no, don't wait till it breaks mate, it may leave a path of destruction.
just a thought, can u run it with the cover off, little hole where the push rod comes from the water pump, may spash a little oil. exhaust gasses shouldn't be entering either, should be good to run it with the cover off.
Will give this a go!
Old 21-07-2008
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
There is a pin for the pv assembly in the rhs cover that has been known to come loose (sometimes dropping into the rhs engine case. Check that the pv is operating as it should - when you pull the rod up or down it should actuate the gears / valves properly.
Thanks Charlie, I have just had the cover off and all seems to be connected and operating as per usual.