dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw User Reviews

dbw User Reviews dbw users share with the rest of us their own views on stuff they have tried. Proudly Sponsored by: Beta Australia

Old 11-04-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Tubliss Tire System review

I have done 500kms on the tubliss, over sand, limetone rocks and jumps, they are better than i thought...

Tubliss system has a tube, its very small and sits in the wheel well arch and applys pressure against the inside of the tire walls pressing them against the rim and sealing the spoke and outer tire area, the result is 90% of a regular tube area is gone, hence the name Tubliss i guess.
There are 2 valves one for the inner core which is the small tube at 110PSI and another valve for the tire.

Whats good,
Three areas stand out, how much more traction is available, the smooth ride and protection from flats running very low pressures.
Over limestone rocks at speed with 6psi i did not dent of get close to that rim clunk that i would normally get at speed with higher pressure tubed tires.
The tubless set up holds the tires on the rim and improves side wall flex it seems.
There is a weight saving on the scales but i cant say i noticed any difference, with a new rear tire and much better hook up its hard to tell what a 300 to 400g difference per wheel makes.
No need to carry any tire changing equipement or spare tubes, good weight saving there.
If you get a sidewall tear or hole in the tire its not a problem you can keep riding, i tried zero pressure with no problems for a while, if i got a holed tire you could repair it with a kit or run slime but most likely i would repair it back at camp as i was quiet surpised how a tire with zero pressure handled, although 6psi was better.
Replacement Inner Cores as they call them are cheap at $8.50 US.
Install was easy enough of the tubliss system.

Whats not so good,
They are a bit expensive $260 for a set.
You need a pump that can manage 110 psi for the tubliss inner core.
If you already run tubes with low pressures 4 to 8psi and dont get flats the only bonus is weight saving and better rim protection
Bit of stuffing around first time fitting, also runing tires that have been fitted before you could get a slow leak from the rim lock marks inside the tire from the previous fitment, i am sure a tire sealant would fix that.
You could get a total flat on the trail with the tubliss set up, it is very unlikely but it could happen if you over pressurised the inner core and it failed, or a long nail or the like travelled very deep though the tire into the inner rim area and went though the thick rubber casing thats over the top of the Tubliss inner core which is a 10 cent Dia sized HD tube which is located in the wheel well at the rim line.
If you had to remove the tubliss system on the trail its a bit more involved but you can replace it with a tube easly enough.

My overall take is flats are a thing of the past and no more trail side changes for me. I can run much lower pressures which increase traction and ride performance, this combined with better protection from rim dents at speed and a bonus of not carrying around equipement to replace tubes is money well spent.
Old 11-04-2010
Banned

good honest review !
Old 11-04-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Yeah, good review

I think these are a great idea but have always been a little sceptical about how good they hold their pressure. Good to hear the positive feedback.

Don't like the price though
Old 11-04-2010
dbw Pro Hero

I got mine cheaper than that. Paid US$85 each and not too much for delivery. Check the other thread for the website - I forget now.
Old 11-04-2010
dbw Pro Champion

Been looking at them for some time, great review ggg
Old 11-04-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
I got mine cheaper than that. Paid US$85 each and not too much for delivery. Check the other thread for the website - I forget now.
I got them at the below site $89 US but i paid $60 for express delvery with tracking, if you went halfs with a mate theres a savings of $30 per set.

Ballards sell them for $165 each, i saved $70 AUD for a set.

http://www.mountainpeaksmotorsports....iss-p-755.html
Old 17-08-2010
dbw Factory Pro

Tubliss with retreads?

I'm assuming that the system works with retreads as long as there is no hole in the sidewall? Can anyone confirm or otherwise?
If you do get a tear in the tyre, how do you fix it on the trail? Fit a normal tube? Squirt in some tyre sealant?
If it's lighter - I'm interested!

AndrewKTM450
Old 17-08-2010
Shrek

your assumption is correct Andrew
If you get a tear in tyre you are buggered, if the tyre gets staked you can repair it as you would a car tyre.
Old 17-08-2010
dbw Factory Pro

Would you be better of taking along a standard front tube? What's that kit weigh? Can you use that kit on a sidewall which I believe are pretty thin?

AndrewKTM450
Old 17-08-2010
Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewktm450 View Post
Would you be better of taking along a standard front tube? What's that kit weigh? Can you use that kit on a sidewall which I believe are pretty thin?
1- what's the point, you may as well just leave the tube in the tyre
2- dunno
3-dunno but I think you have to wait for a considerable time for it to set.