dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 11-08-2004
dbw Pro Addict

The Cornerman System - In Detail

Hi all,
Just thought I would post this as a refresher! Also there are a few things I have picked up that might help in bigger groups!

CORNERMAN BASICS
You have a lead rider (in front all day) and a sweep rider (at the back all day)! They usually both wear bright vests so you know who they are. You ride between them all day!

If you are behind the lead rider coming up to a corner, he will point at the corner. This means you stop your bike, face it in the direction he went. Once everyone has passed the sweep rider will wave you on, to go in front of him.

Often down main roads with tracks running off them the lead rider may not drop cornermen there, as it is obvious that they are not turning!

RIDERS RESPONSIBILITIES
- NEVER LEAVE YOUR CORNER. Somethimes you can be there 1 hour if someone has broken down. Stay at your corner . The system depends on everyone!
- Nod at the lead rider so he knows you recognise you have to stop when he is pointing.
- If you are behind the lead rider and you pass a corner that the lead rider does not see, that you think people may get confused on, stop anyway.

Be careful when passing people. Enduro's are for racing, not trail rides.

If someone is behind you wanting to get passed, point a leg out to let them pass at a suitable point - unless they are NSW blokes and you think you can roost them.

OTHER TIPS
- To help keep the group moving count the riders going through, and be ready to ride off when the sweep rider gets there.
- If the sweep rider is behind you and you are coming up to the next corner, tap your helmet so that cornerman knows he should be ready to take off.
- Slower riders (especially in Winter) should take off at the front of the group after eeyone has stopped. The ground will be less cut up and it will be easier to get up the hills, before all the good riders carve it up.
- Do not stop around blind corners. Give each rider an oppotunity to see you and which way to go.
- The lead rider may stop you before a hazard, such a s a log or bog hole, not just a corner!
- Look before you cross a road, even if there is a cornerman there! It is your life, keep it!

ON COMING VEHICLES
Try to remember how many riders are behind you and if you pass someone. Put your fingers up to indicate how many are left. The lead rider may drop a cornerman there if the track does not leave opportunity for passing.

BIG GROUPS
When you have say 16 or more riders it is recommended that you drop two cornermen of at every corner. This means the group can only get 8 corners away in this example. Also you have someone to talk to at each corner.

If you are coming up to a corner and there is one rider on there. Stop. He should have his hand up so you know!

Any other tips I have left out, please post them!

Don't like a post or thread? Click on this icon in the top right of the post.
It will be actioned much faster than sending a PM to me or another moderator.

2017 KTM & Husky 250/300 JD Jetting Kits now in stock!
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Pro Addict

Great thread Keggy!

- If you come to a corner where noone is stationed and you think you may be on the wrong track and it's not obvious which way the group went, don't keep going. Go slowly and carefully back to the last known cornerman possie (Remember you could have an oncoming freight train at any second... )

- If someone accidentally goes past your corner, don't chase them or the whole group will end up FUBAR'd. Possibly send the next rider to come along to go after the lost bloke or wait for the lost bloke to work out he's gone astray and come back (see above).

At least I think that's how it works?
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Pro Champion

A good post and a good reminder/refresher as it is so simple of a system but still seems to fail from time to time,I think just cause guys don't always understand it and how important it is to stay at your post/corner and not move off,thanks again KEG.
Ian

Why does my brain keep cashing cheques my body can't pay for?

Not Feeling Yourself Lately,Well Then That's One BAD Habbit You've Finally Grown Out Of!!

CLUB MUD#105
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Factory Pro

Re: The Cornerman System - In Detail

Quote:
Originally posted by Keg
RIDERS RESPONSIBILITIES
- NEVER LEAVE YOUR CORNER. Somethimes you can be there 1 hour if someone has broken down. Stay at your corner . The system depends on everyone.
And never entrust your corner to anyone else, eg campers, 4wders etc. They may not be reliable especially if there's a long wait. This happened on a ride a couple weeks ago where I got a flat. One bloke left his corner to a group of 4wders who said they'd direct any bikes the right way. Only after half an hour of tire fixing I guess they assumed we were from a different group when we got there and waved us on the wrong way :hs. Luckily we realised their mistake pretty quick.
08 atomik 125

gone: 04, 02, 00 husky wr250's, 99 kawasaki kdx200
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Factory Pro

At least at bright there will be plenty of bike tracks to follow

When you are in the middle of the group, and you see no wheel marks ahead of you, you shouldn't have to pull over to smell the rat :nn :nn :nn

www.teamsonic.com.au

"This is nowhere near Kansas,Toto "

Club mud # ( well lets just say I beat 144 )
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Pro Legend

Thanks for the info Keg. Acually, I've never been ona ride with cornermen so a timely post.
Club Mud #121
Now retired from the hills and bogholes.
XR streeterised with 15/46 gears and Michie Sirac tyres.
Suzuki C50 delivered and loving it

"If Mama Cass had given Karen Carpenter that ham sandwich, they'd both be alive today"
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Factory Pro

MOST IMPORTANT !! if you get lost , go back to the last place you know you seen people from your group and wait. dont move again. someone will realise your lost and back track to find you.

if your leading a bunch of interstate riders its manditory to loose at least one for half a day.

cheerz loz
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Pro Addict

both good points Loz!

Don't like a post or thread? Click on this icon in the top right of the post.
It will be actioned much faster than sending a PM to me or another moderator.

2017 KTM & Husky 250/300 JD Jetting Kits now in stock!
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by loz
if your leading a bunch of interstate riders its manditory to loose at least one for half a day.

cheerz loz
Does half a rider per day count

www.teamsonic.com.au

"This is nowhere near Kansas,Toto "

Club mud # ( well lets just say I beat 144 )
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by loz
MOST IMPORTANT !! if you get lost , go back to the last place you know you seen people from your group and wait. dont move again. someone will realise your lost and back track to find you.

cheerz loz
So I did good at Wombat :x

OTWAY TRAIL RIDERS
CLUB MUD # 75

ASK FOR NO QUARTER NO QUARTER GIVEN

"living in a fish bowl"