dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 11-08-2004
dbw Pro Legend

He He

My leg to you Keg was to push you off !!!!

Good old post and covered just about everything...

The "helmet tap" i found improved the ride.

When you are crossing or coming back onto a main track a cornerman should be placed as on Nowra ride we must have come back onto a Rural road with Hobby farms about 15 times,very scary.

When YOU are the cornerman,make SURE the sweep has indicated to go,DONT just head at soon as you sight him..

He may need some help,with a repair,wound repairs from flying sticks or some other help..

Its imperative the cornerman stands in a clear area where you can be SEEN on approach to the corner.

If another group is going in the opposite direction indicate how many other are behind you and try and hold them until YOUR group has passed if possible.
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Pro

BIG GROUPS

A KEG

Big groups !!

Have you been riding OTR :nn :nn :nn :nn

Also good to have 2 leaders

The second (leader) guy confirms a rider stayed on the corner and keeps the crew of his arse while trying to find tracks.

Also good to have 2 sweeps

You race (oops ride) to the corner man.
one stays as the rider gets ready (which happens to often)

the other goes to the next corner man and sends him on his way and waits for the other sweep

If long breakdown one sweep takes of vest of and proceeds to leaders to let them know and then the leader can plan his stratergy as he is the one who (we hope) can get the bike out the easiest way

These work real well

Trust me Im a doctor

OTWAY TRAIL RIDERS
CLUB MUD # 75

ASK FOR NO QUARTER NO QUARTER GIVEN

"living in a fish bowl"
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Pro

sorry one more thing

When doing corner face your bike in direction the group is going and use bike to block other tracks

Good for when you want a piss

OTWAY TRAIL RIDERS
CLUB MUD # 75

ASK FOR NO QUARTER NO QUARTER GIVEN

"living in a fish bowl"
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Factory Pro

Re: He He

Quote:
Originally posted by lukass

We should ban smoking on rides !! :bty :bty
Yep, no cam chain , no ride
:LLL :LLL :LLL

Excuse me whilst I just put on a flame proof suit
r r r

www.teamsonic.com.au

"This is nowhere near Kansas,Toto "

Club mud # ( well lets just say I beat 144 )
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Pro

Great post guys, a thing all too easily forgotten. OK if I put it up on the FOHVA website when it's back and runnin. Got me own small part in it and want to add stuff like this in there as well.

Sponsors - Jim Beam, Peter J and a wing and a prayer

If a tree falls in the forest, do the other trees laugh at it?
Old 11-08-2004
dbw Pro Legend

Good thread Keg.
The most common reason i have seen the system fail,is when there has been a breakdown and a cnr man thinks they have been proped on a corner for a while and start to think they have been forgotten and ride off.
This causes the whole system to collapse.
In some cases you may be required to hold a cnr for an hour or more while a repair/accident is dealt with.No matter what,stick on the cnr,you wont be forgotten.

A good lark is to set yourself up on your cnr in a sloppy,stinky type bog hole, and roost your mates as they round the cnr.
Its good fun untill someone loses an eye!!
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.

Club Mud #60
Old 12-08-2004
dbw Pro

Yeah - I agree, good post Keg
Also it's good if the Lead and Tail riders have communication, that way the tail can let the lead rider know if there is a problem.
Another point is to have a ride buddy so that when you regroup you make sure he's there - so if the rider count is short a rider at least you know who is lost.

Eh bud - can't trust those 4WD's can you.

brownE
Old 12-08-2004
dbw Factory Pro

Also really important that if you change sweep rider(s) during the day to ensure everyone knows this has happened - not just change the vest.

On one memorable ride this happened and the cornerman, seeing the old sweep rider took off after him. When the last rider and the sweep eventually came through (they had trouble getting a bike started) they lost the trail.
Old 12-08-2004
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by hopll
Also really important that if you change sweep rider(s) during the day to ensure everyone knows this has happened - not just change the vest.
Been there! A few weeks ago this happened, no-one (including lead) knew how to get home, so the sweep came forward, not that he knew either, anways, there was no talk about it, it just happened. everyone realised, and someone else took the position of sweep. but it was terrible to think that an 'organised' ride was like that (no, it wasnt a DBW ride)

I think most the DBW guys that do lead and sweep will hold thier positions correctly. That is one thing i like about the DBW rides, i can trust that the leader and sweep know what they are doing, with that in mind, i would be willing to wait on a corner for an hour on a DBW organised ride.
Old 13-08-2004
dbw Pro

Great post lads. It helps reinforce the fact that we're not yahoo's out bush bashin but well organised social groups with respect for each other as well as others.
Had an interesting experience a couple of weekend ago with the whole lead/sweep rider set up.
I was the first rider behind the lead rider when he came to a intersection that he though was a good place to regroup. After sitting for about 15 mins with only one rider coming our way out of 11 i made the suggestion that maybe we should go back to look for the rest. The lead made the very valid point that it's better for the trailing group to send a rider to us instead of us going back into oncoming riders. A pretty smart idea i thought being that whole reason for the hold up was one of the boys had a big off. They sent one of the trailing group to us which meant we all new who was doing what which avoided more accidents.
Mav