dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Proudly Sponsored by Mainjet Motorcycles

Old 07-02-2011
dbw Pro

07 ktm125/144 powervalve not opening?

Hey guys i recently purchased a 2007 ktm 125 thats been converted to a 144. It was fully converted the top and bottom, it has 115 hours and the kit was put on at 80 hours, anyway the bike had been sittting for a while and i finally took it out, i put a new spark plug in it and fresh fuel and drain the carby. it has a shorty muffler, the jetting is at 190 or 195? and 45. Anyway to the problem, i warmed the bike up properly and when i started to ride it properly, it just had no top end, from like bottom to mid is good then it just revs out, no powerband at all. The bike has plenty of compression, but has a few hours up probably cauld do with a piston and ring but that cant be the problem, i had a quick look and people with the same problem have said its the powervalve. Cauld it have gummed up over time or something? Anyway in my manual its doesnt say nothing about the powervalve, and the info i have seen on the net is very brief.
So i would like a second opinion.
Cheers guys
Zac

Ps. My first post and this looks like a great forum, cheers
Old 07-02-2011
dbw Pro

You can for sure check te float level. And also check the carburator adjustment with te table in the manual.
Here is a explanation for adjusting the powervalve.
http://www.howcast.com/videos/314467...00-Powervalves
Good luck
Old 08-02-2011
dbw Pro

hey mate, that way i have to take out teh engine, or unbolt half teh engien and take out teh carby.
Old 08-02-2011
dbw Factory Pro

It is possible that when the bike has been re-assembled that the spoon for the powervalve arm has not been lined up and fitted to the fork correctly.

Look through this thread on ktmtalk to get an understanding of how it all works, you can see the fork in the 3rd or so pic down on the left side of the cylinder
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=324527

Dont go adjusting anything though as you will only make it worse if you dont know what you are doing

Last edited by MrGenius; 08-02-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2011
dbw Pro Addict

OH.....and Huskys are unreliable~!!! KTM fkn up and no dealer to be seen. KTM is the most unreliable crap.

KTM is SHIT

Dealers are crap

Parts are a rip off

blah blah

Never buy a KTM

Kazakstan Tractor Manufacturer.

Rubbish

Yada yada yada

KTM unreliable.

2007 Sherco 290 Trials

Old 09-02-2011
dbw Pro

iceberg stu, im not particulery fond of mind but untill you own one you cant comment
Old 09-02-2011
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGenius View Post
It is possible that when the bike has been re-assembled that the spoon for the powervalve arm has not been lined up and fitted to the fork correctly.
+1 Almost guaranteed to be this. Swapping from 125 to 144 may cause a slight mis-alignment between the spoon and the PV arm.

Put the motor on TDC, remove the plug, drain the coolant, remove the pipe, unbolt the barrel base nuts and lift the barrel 15-20mm. Use a torch to check the spoon alignment. If the base gasket stays in one piece just re-align the spoon, run a bead of silicone around the gasket and bolt it down.
Old 09-02-2011
dbw Pro

So the only way is to remove the barrel?
Old 09-02-2011
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac320 View Post
So the only way is to remove the barrel?
Short of X-ray vision, Yep.
Old 09-02-2011
dbw Pro

Hey mate, i ended up removing the whole barrel, but when i had a look the powervalve looked like it lined up, but when i took the barrel off i tried moving the powervalve and it was stuck. I had to press hard down on the actual p/v itself and the mechanism that makes it move and i eventually freed it up, i can move it now by just the mechanism. My step dad said it cauld be a seal in the p/v has gone and its letting carbon through. Anyway while i was at it i discovered i need to put a piston and ring in and get my bore honed.

But if the powervalve was lined up correctly but the powervalve has stuck, does that mean something has been broken. Because the powervalve was unable to move?
Cheers