dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 06-08-2012
dbw Pro Hero

http://concept2.co.uk/training/interactive
Old 06-08-2012
dbw Pro Hero

The rower is also great for a warm-up for weights too I reckon - or anything really. The days I am not doing a rowing workout, I still do a 5 minute warm-up on the concept2.
Old 06-08-2012
dbw Factory Pro

Thanks Pete. I like the look of it. I also like the fact that you can have measurable resistance so a baseline can be set. The spin bikes I have been looking at don't seem to have that function so from session to session the resistance can change. Only a bees member I suppose but a measurable baseline would be better.
Old 07-08-2012
dbw Pro Legend

Just did 10km with the machine set to level 10.
Got 40:47. First time I've ever done a row over 4km so I wasn't sure how to pace it out. I left my 'burst' too late and finished with energy to spare
I'll have a crack again next week, should better it.

Oldies:2012 KTM 250 exc-f
2010 Berg FE390
07 Husky WR250
01 WR250F
01 DT 230
89 KX 80
Old 07-08-2012
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azza88 View Post
Just did 10km with the machine set to level 10.
Got 40:47. First time I've ever done a row over 4km so I wasn't sure how to pace it out. I left my 'burst' too late and finished with energy to spare
I'll have a crack again next week, should better it.
You rowed 10pm in 40:47 on ten and had energy to spare, who are you Part of the awesome foursome? I did 4.25 km in 20 mins today on 6 and was stuffed afterwards. But I had just done a one hour legs workout.
Old 07-08-2012
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchisLife View Post
You rowed 10km in 40:47 on ten and had energy to spare, who are you Part of the awesome foursome? I did 4.25 km in 20 mins today on 6 and was stuffed afterwards. But I had just done a one hour legs workout.
Yeah it's a reasonable time but by no means great, look at the previous posts. A few guys are quite a bit better than my time. I train for 2 hrs, 5 days a week and every day includes some form of rowing, mainly sprints. I'll admit the 10km wasn't fun, if I didn't have an ipod it would be quite boring. Sprint/interval rowing is the best way for increasing your cardio and VO2 max.

2010 Berg FE390
07 Husky WR250
01 WR250F
01 DT 230
89 KX 80
Old 07-08-2012
dbw Pro Legend

People also underestimate what the rowing machines actually work in terms of your muscles. Sure it works your legs, shoulders, arms and back but it's a massive core workout too. Depending on your rowing style (how far you actually bring your body back once your legs are fully extended) it's pretty much a stomach crunch each stroke. The more you row the better your style and technique becomes. It's amazing how much your times improve with a smooth and consistant stroke rate. I actually bring the bar up under my chin to get the extra little bit out each time. So instead of the bar hitting your chest, lean back the extra bit and pull the bar up under your chin. You get about another 300mm of stroke rate.

I have spent too much time on these terrible machines

2010 Berg FE390
07 Husky WR250
01 WR250F
01 DT 230
89 KX 80
Old 08-08-2012
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:

Obviously!

But that's a good tip on the leaning back - it's bloody hard to keep doing it consistently. I think to improve your technique, you have to slow it right down - 18-19 strokes/min seems to be a good steady start point. I seem to always gravitate to 24s/m. Of course when going hard that goes right up. It's puts it right in perspective when you see the Olympians doing up to 40s/m in a 2k race.

I have never cracked 40 mins for 10km. There's the marathon distance on the rowers (42km+) - imagine doing that - how sore would the a... be?
Old 10-08-2012
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
People also underestimate what the rowing machines actually work in terms of your muscles. Sure it works your legs, shoulders, arms and back but it's a massive core workout too. Depending on your rowing style (how far you actually bring your body back once your legs are fully extended) it's pretty much a stomach crunch each stroke. The more you row the better your style and technique becomes. It's amazing how much your times improve with a smooth and consistant stroke rate. I actually bring the bar up under my chin to get the extra little bit out each time. So instead of the bar hitting your chest, lean back the extra bit and pull the bar up under your chin. You get about another 300mm of stroke rate.

Same. Used to do so many k's on these things training for Finke.

Yep their terrible cause they are good, look around at alot of gyms at what equipment isn't being used much and its prob the stuff you should be doing.... people like doing the easy, popular, repetitive shit.

If you look at the vids on technique, pulling the bar up to your chin is not good technique. Have been trying to work on my tech to help minimize injury and get the most from the workout. I used to always workout on level 8 or 10 but have since read the higher the level doesn't necesseraly mean a harder/better workout.... especially when training to HR zones, distances/times etc. Most decent rowers workout in the 3-5 level and some olympic rowers up to 6-7. As the Concept 2 has an internal damper/dyno, it can compensate for any changes in machines, dust build up on fan etc and modifies the values to give a drag factor read out.... which is apparently what you should be keeping an eye on.

I never looked into any of this in the early days, just trained my arse off at max fan level in HR zones, but it seems like most things, technique/form is pretty important so im looking forward to making some changes and seeing where i get to and what dif it makes.... wiil be stoked to have one at home finally.... good for the winter

60% of the time it works everytime

Old 21-09-2012
dbw Pro Addict

Starting to get back into it, mainly just training for HR zones at the moment with long rows, not outright max dist for times. Keen to start some interval stuff soon.
Averaged around 85% MHR
40min, 9900m, 2:01.1 avg/500m.

Got some work to do

60% of the time it works everytime