dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha Forum

Yamaha Forum For the True Blues.

Old 19-07-2011
dbw Factory Pro

big bore kits wr450

anyone know of or where is a good place to buy a big bore kit for my WR450f, reason being it might need a head gasket, if i am going to do that i may as well chuck some new rings in there. I was told what I think is a reasonable price to do the job but being bored and on ebay I cam e across this, the price seems real good but I don't know of anyone that has one or knows about these ones. any help would be great

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

now i know my rings are still good but if I am going to replace them the shop wasn't stressed about a new piston as i would be or a hone, when i seen this i thought good price and i get to keep my original bore and piston rings as a spare
1984 Xl250rc (always reliable, never missed a beat, how Honda's used to be)
1978 DT250 (piece of crap)
Old 19-07-2011
dbw Factory Pro

Looks the goods to me. I couldn't resist at that price. By the time you freshen up the top end of yours and get a gasket kit you won't be getting much change out of $200 and then it's still standard.
Old 20-07-2011
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toey1977 View Post
anyone know of or where is a good place to buy a big bore kit for my WR450f, reason being it might need a head gasket, if i am going to do that i may as well chuck some new rings in there. I was told what I think is a reasonable price to do the job but being bored and on ebay I cam e across this, the price seems real good but I don't know of anyone that has one or knows about these ones. any help would be great

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

now i know my rings are still good but if I am going to replace them the shop wasn't stressed about a new piston as i would be or a hone, when i seen this i thought good price and i get to keep my original bore and piston rings as a spare
Post up if you go ahead, I 'd love to know what its like
Old 20-07-2011
dbw Pro

go bigger

http://www.maxrpms.net/shop/index.ph...-ice-cube.html
Old 20-07-2011
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro circus View Post
After looking at the face under the helmet on that ad, I have decided I need to look for new riding buddies. Mine don't look like that.
Old 20-07-2011
dbw Pro Legend

atvunlimited is where I purchased my Athena kit for the Ag bike a few years ago now.

I have heard good things about the cylinderworks kits & the occassional bad comment, but any problems people have maybe due to incorrect installation or not checking everything before they fit the kit.

Atv sells the cylinder works kit so maybe ask why the cost difference?

http://stores.ebay.com/ATVUNLIMITED/...=p4634.c0.m322

Personally I would stick with Athena as for me its a known quality item.
Old 11-06-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Reviving an old thread here but I'm wondering if anyone here has put one of these on their 450? My 2012 model wr is around the 10000km mark and I was thinking of refreshing the top end and thought I'd change it up a bit. More torque down low will suit my style of riding I think (old, fat, slow ). Will this affect reliability though?? Any thoughts on other pro's and cons??

https://www.firestormmotorcycles.com...-98mm-b~164453
Old 11-06-2018
The "One" and only

I wouldn't put an Athena kit in my mower Normie.

A set of YZ cams and a good tune will give you all the pull you want. The factory team pissed around with big-bore 450s for years and they're still not super-reliable, despite the Finke bikes going OK.

We used a JGR built 65HP motor to jump San Diego harbour and the concensus at Coach's shop was that the engine architecture couldn't support a bigger bore. Admittedly we were concerned with the riders life, not pissing around on trails.

Keep it stock. DT1 filter frame, Stage 2 HotCams, pipe and a tune. It'll cause you Waaaaaay less grief than an overbore.

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec