dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 08-06-2017
dbw Pro Addict

Location: island jungle where dreams will come true, down here where we all screw
Interesting Knee/ACL article

I have no ACL in my right knee from a massive dirtbike injury over 2 years ago now, and I'm pretty sure I ruptured my left one in Febuary in the sheep yards.

When I did my first one, I was advised by some pretty well renowned medical professionals that I had really good existing knee strength and stability and that surgery to replace/fix the ACL which was 100% gone would be unessesary and more than likely cause more issues down the track.

In the meantime, lots of people have told me my knees are going to be rooted by the time I'm 40 (mainly people with a non medical background, but a couple of physios). This article was an interesting read for me. Especially the bit about long term degenerative issues being a result of the existing injury, not the absence of an ACL.

http://www.psmgroup.com.au/motocross...knee-torn-acl/
Old 08-06-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Very interesting,thanks for that.
Old 08-06-2017
dbw Pro Legend

This is of interest to me at the moment as I did my right ACL last weekend and am currently researching what the best method of attack is - surgery or rehab.

I have heard pro's and con's for both, for example I have a mate who races triathlon at a high level who has no ACL in his right knee and tells me to rehab rather than go surgery. The GP who referred me to get an MRI early this week has had his right ACL done 10 weeks ago, he rides mountain bikes and snow ski's and recommends the best option is reconstruction - I could go on.

As for the "article" I would treat it with a grain of salt. I can't say if what it is eluding to is correct or not however it is marketing material for a physiotherapy business and should be treated as such.
Old 08-06-2017
dbw Factory Pro

The article should be considered specifically for Professional Dirt-bike Riders who earn their income from racing. They only have a short window of opportunity in which to earn their money.
They would almost certainly seek corrective surgery after that window closes.
The instability of the knee will result in continued meniscus damaged associated with not having an ACL & will most certainly lead to an early on set of osteoarthritis.
However, any good Orthopaedic Surgeon will assess the needs of their patients & many times recommend physiotherapy; i.e. it is more advantageous for potentially active people (youth, sportspeople, etc.) to have reconstructive surgery.
Old 08-06-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Cheers pig dog

Have you got any links to good examples or info on the knee strengthening excersises ?

frame build http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.ph...php?f=8&t=13268
Engine http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.ph...php?f=5&t=12131

Update http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s....php?p=1679488
Old 08-06-2017
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmechanic View Post
Cheers pig dog

Have you got any links to good examples or info on the knee strengthening excersises ?
here you go, and there is lot's more. Most of them really need good knee allignment to work and not have a negative effect, i.e. knee not in front of ankle for squads, straight legs ect.
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/15-min...+November+2016
Old 08-06-2017
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmechanic View Post
Cheers pig dog

Bicycle riding is one of the best I know. Stationary if you don't want t risk injury during rehab by falling off your pushie.
Old 08-06-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrat View Post
here you go, and there is lot's more. Most of them really need good knee allignment to work and not have a negative effect, i.e. knee not in front of ankle for squads, straight legs ect.
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/15-min...+November+2016
Yoga is great for soft tissue injuries. I had a big off about 4 years ago and did damage to the miniscus in my left knee and ligaments in my left wrist. I couldn't put any weight on my wrist and had pain in the knee. Got sick of this after about 18 months and started yoga a couple of times a week. After about twelve months of regular practice the results were dramatic, still doing regular yoga sessions - it's the shit
Old 08-06-2017
dbw Pro

That and acupuncture. If you can find a good Chinese medicine practitioner or Acupuncturist, your half way there without an operation.
Rest is always imperative though for the first few month.
My experience anyway.
Old 08-06-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrat View Post
That and acupuncture. If you can find a good Chinese medicine practitioner or Acupuncturist, your half way there without an operation.
Rest is always imperative though for the first few month.
My experience anyway.
Have you done an acl and not had a reconstruction?