dbw Pro Hero

Old 13-05-2019
The "One" and only

Ford 2.7 Turbo-supercharged diesel/petrol

Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Hero

Intriguing Engine Problems.

Wondering what all this fuss is about with the direct injected spark ignition
little engines needing Expensive Dexos 1 gen 2 oils (GM version) good explanation here.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...-pre-ignition/
Old 3 Days Ago
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom68 View Post
Wondering what all this fuss is about with the direct injected spark ignition
little engines needing Expensive Dexos 1 gen 2 oils (GM version) good explanation here.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...-pre-ignition/
I was informed that that Dexos oil just reduce the chance of pinging, soft or to do with too much oil passing into the chamber can set it off. mainly due to thin oils that are used nowadays.
I recommend to drive a engine hard as you can right from new so as to try and bed the rings in as best as you can, that way you can reduce them from using so much oil.
But if you plod around from new then more likely to use more oil.
Then again some piston design will always use more oil than another, just with Petrol engines like Holden Eco tec all use oil and the Alloytec V6 is a bastard for using oil that I have seen many that do, you need only look at the tail pipes to see the build up of carbon is huge.
My wife has a Auroin and it uses no oil once it went 18.000km without a oil change and never used a drop of oil and I am the only one who does servicing on it and the tail pipes are clean as you can wipe your finger inside and it comes out clean, I had a 2003 WK 5.7L used nothing as well and my car I have now is the same and all were flogged hard from new.

Pussy footing a new engine is the worst thing that you can do.

If they use less oil I am sure that the problems will not appear with having to use the Dexos, but what I have come across is that most Colorado's use a lot of oil.
I think that using the Dexos helps save oil consumption as well as my brother says that his new Colorado has used nothing much yet, but then again old mate had 2 Colorado's that he says he nearly blew up, as he found no oil was on the dip stick.
Old 18 Hours Ago
dbw Pro Legend

i dont believe an engine can actually use "no oil" some fuel gets past the rings and gives the impression of no oil use. just the same as some oil gets into the combustion chamber every time the piston goes up and down.

same as when people think their valve lash gear doesnt wear out, its just that the valve seat wears out at the same rate as the valvetrain.

frame build http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.ph...php?f=8&t=13268
Engine http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.ph...php?f=5&t=12131

Update http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s....php?p=1679488
Old 9 Hours Ago
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmechanic View Post
i dont believe an engine can actually use "no oil" some fuel gets past the rings and gives the impression of no oil use. just the same as some oil gets into the combustion chamber every time the piston goes up and down.

same as when people think their valve lash gear doesnt wear out, its just that the valve seat wears out at the same rate as the valvetrain.
That's what I thought to, but I had a XC 3.3L that used no oil and that was in Darwin and I drove that to Cains and down to Brisbane and all until she dropped the head off of a valve. I never seen it drop on the stick ever.

All my Holden red 6 and V8's used oil from the top of the stick to around the bottom line on the stick in 5000km I never toped them up ever.

Think it was much the same with my EB 4.0L Falcon from new and did 110.000km in that.

I had from new 2 V6 VS Commodores, a 1995 and a 1997 the 97 had a longer dipstick or the top to bottom line was more than the 95 year but both used the same amount of oil I had to add oil to the 95 but the 97 was top to bottom every time in 10.000km. I did 100.000km in the 95 and 210.000km in the 97.

Using only Valvoline XLD 20W/50 from 1992 to 2008 in my cars.

I had a 1999 5.0L VS ute from new as well I never ever added oil to that.

That Statesman 5.7L I did 230.000 and never seen more than 3mm drop on the stick. when I bought this I thought the Gen 3 engines were sh1t on oil usage. but mine Roo Ted the camshaft because the plastic buckets wore out that hold the roller lifters in place.

As for bikes in the XR600 days they used oil on hot days from top to bottom some days and they would blow smoke doing real slow hard work when they got really hot. some oils you used would use up oil real fast and others were much better I used Valvoline XLD 20W/50 in the bikes as I found it was good on oil consumption, so I stuck to it.
I had a new DRZ400E and did some experimenting with oils in that milk crate and what a big difference one oil used up real quick and then I used Valvoline engine Armour that was a disappointment as the DR has a magnet drain plug you can tell how much metal is on this, the metal was 2x what XLD was easy and oil usage a bit more. this was doing the same riding and km and a good test in my opinion.
I always have keep a strict eye on such things.