dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Adventure Riding & Roadbike Stuff

Adventure Riding & Roadbike Stuff Rides, reports, tech and all things not full-knobbie bike related!

Old 3 Weeks Ago
DBW Clubman

Motoz hybrid front tyre....anyone tried it

As the title says, I'm interested to hear from anyone who has used the new hybrid front tyre from motoz.

I'm looking for a tyre that will suit general trail riding, dirt roads and tar and will wear reasonably well. I've previously used knobby tyres, for their dirt performance, but am looking for a little more tyre life now.

As a reference I'm running the mountain hybrid rear and find it works well in this application.

My question really is......does the front perform to a similar level?

As a side note I'm tossing up between this tyre, the motoz tractionator desert ht and the Pirelli m21.

Cheers.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro

The Desert H/T is about the worst front I've ever tried, and one of the only tyres I took off before it wore. The MT21s work great by comparison. My favourite adv front tyre is the Pirelli Scorpion Rally, followed by a BS X40 and Michelin HP5 Hard. These all last OK and work well as all rounders.

I even spoke to the Motoz guys about their tyres and they don't understand why the Desert H/T sells. I do like some of their other tyres though rears mainly.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
The Desert H/T is about the worst front I've ever tried, and one of the only tyres I took off before it wore. The MT21s work great by comparison. My favourite adv front tyre is the Pirelli Scorpion Rally, followed by a BS X40 and Michelin HP5 Hard. These all last OK and work well as all rounders.

I even spoke to the Motoz guys about their tyres and they don't understand why the Desert H/T sells. I do like some of their other tyres though rears mainly.
+1 for the Pirelli Scorpion Rally front.

About 6,000ks on my Africa Twin and although it's cupping now, it still handles everything well.

BP
Old 2 Weeks Ago
DBW Clubman

Thank you for taking the time to reply BergDonk and BP.

Perhaps I should have originally mentioned I'll be fitting it to an SWM500. To what bike have you got the Scorpions fitted?

As there isn't a lot of information about, I've ordered the motoz hybrid partly out of curiosity, partly due to the reasonable price and also in hope it performs as I require. I'm expecting it will survive some tar roads, hang on to dirt roads and give reasonable performance off-road in sand and loam. My reasoning is, at $90, I won't be too upset if it doesn't

Oh well, fingers crossed.
Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Clubman

Well, thought I'd write an update with my initial impressions.

Firstly the tyre was extremely easy to mount up, which makes swapping it for my preferred full on knobby (Bridgestone X20) an easy job. I tend to swap tyres to suit the ride, so ease of fitment is important to me.

So far I've put around 200km on the tyre. It's been used on a mix of tar, gravel and clay roads. All both in wet and dry conditions and at speeds from commuting to highway. The grip on all these surfaces has been better than expected, particularly on the gravel and clay. I'm not one to push a front tyre to its limit, but I have had other front tyres slip without warning on these roads....the Motoz hybrid didn't slip or wander.......very reassuring. In fact I was especially impressed with the grip and stability when braking hard on the dirt sections, you know, when the corner your about to enter is sharper and more off camber than you expected. This was all with the tyre at 20psi too!!

It is early days but the tyre is showing no wear at all, with the knobs still showing a sharp leading edge. The tread pattern was actually more aggressive than I expected, so this tyre may stay on for more serious dirt work than I first planned.

So far I'm more than happy with this tyre and would have no hesitation in recommending it to my riding mates. The only thing I'd wish for is the tyre come in a 90/100x21 size as well.

Thank you for reading.