dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Beta Forum

Beta Forum My bike is Beta than yours!

Old 1 Week Ago
"The Crack Of DOOM"

2018 Beta two stroke review: 250RR 300RR Xtrainer

I went to the Beta ride day out at Pacific Park yesterday to see what the 2018 offerings were like. It was good to seen Marty (from Wright Motorcycles in Yass) and Roon again, and to have a bit of a chat with Ben... and ride the bikes of course!

I started out with the 300RR as I felt it would be the most appropriate to compare to my KTM 300EXC that I am more used to now. I realise that it is a fairly unfair comparison though, given the Beta's are pretty much stockers and mine has had quite a bit of work done on it, but it was more the engine department I was interested in. The first noticeable thought I had was how comfortable the bike felt straight away. I do have a bit of a soft spot for the Beta's though, so your milage may vary. I took the bike straight into the single and love the power delivery and how flickable the bike felt. The clutch actually felt pretty easy to use and slipping it to get up steeper sections was pretty easy. There wasn't really any significant powerband hit, so I appreciate where people are coming from when they say it has very "linear power delivery". Sure, that may depart from some peoples desire for excitement and the "2T hit", but in the snottier stuff this engine would be very welcomed. I got off the bike thinking that it could easily be in my garage and would be a worthy upgrade/replacement when I move away from my pumpkin.

Next I climber on the Xtrainer. Roon had an upgraded Xtrainer there, but I opted for the one that was closer to stock (except for the aftermarket fork cartridge I think). I took it on the exact same track and fell in love with its engine and power delivery. Seriously, the bike would tractor up slopes with ease and inspired confidence right away. It was pretty easy to lift the front wheel, even for someone who lacks confidence in lifting the wheel like I am! There were a couple of times I felt I didn't have enough momentum to get up a rock only to find that the bike actually made it up quite easily. The slightly smaller frame is nice too, and makes negotiating tighter stuff quite easy. I reckon I would love this bike, but I do have major reservations about its suspension which I would need to get over. I don't know how easy it would be to put a set of WP CC forks or the like on it, and more importantly how much that would affect the feel of the bike as it might actually change the geometry and feel significantly.

Next I tried the 250RR, and this bike was BY FAR the biggest surprise of the group to me! It felt like what a 2T "is supposed to feel like"... if there is such a thing. It had an awesome power delivery and punch if you wanted it. It was serious fun to ride! It was just as easy to slip the clutch on and get up rocks and slopes as the 300RR was, but had a bit more pep if needed (although that might make it a handful at times too). It felt quite racey, but for a long ride it may leave me feeling more tired than I would on the 300RR or Xtrainer. I honestly didn't think I would enjoy the 250RR as much as I did.

Finally I hopped on Roon's Xtrainer with the Scalvini pipe, XRC steering damener, etc. It was just as nice to ride as the other Xtrainer but the pipe seemed to make the engine even better (without taking away from and of the good impressions I had on the other Xtrainer). The foot controls weren't quire set up to my liking, seeming to be a tad higher than I am used to, so I missed the rear brake a couple of times and needed to stop for a fresh nappy.

I came away a little confused if I am honest. I had expected to favour the 300RR but honestly wasn't that clear cut. I can't see myself complaining with any of the 2T range in the garage. If I was forced to choose I think I would go with the Xtrainer, though I would more than likley want to switch out the forks and see what I could do with the shock. That tractable engine and overall feel are the deal sealer for me.

Thanks to the Beta crew for the day and for making the bikes available to test.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Addict

so the 18 xtrainers/demo are here? any idea on availability? seriously keen on one, just want to know about price and availability.
hows the xtrainer clutch feel compared to your ktm?
any improvements over previous models (xt only)?
ill be keeping the ktm 300 for fast stuff, the xt will be purely extreme enduro/trials for a 70kg short leg human
Old 1 Week Ago
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalboy View Post
so the 18 xtrainers/demo are here? any idea on availability? seriously keen on one, just want to know about price and availability.
hows the xtrainer clutch feel compared to your ktm?
any improvements over previous models (xt only)?
ill be keeping the ktm 300 for fast stuff, the xt will be purely extreme enduro/trials for a 70kg short leg human
Dunno about pricing or availability, but I thought I heard someone say that the current consignment was all sold out. You'll probably need to speak to a dealer to find out there mate.

I am no "expert" when it comes to clutches and clutch feel, I will admit that, but I thought the Xtrainer clutch felt lighter than the KTM's one. When I first started riding the KTM I thought its clutch was quite heavy, but to be fair I had come off using a Rekluse for years so the fact that I had to use a clutch again might have had something to do with that? But I have gotten more used to it and better at using it and can't say I notice it much any more. But yeah, I think the Xtrainer clutch is lighter, for what it's worth.

I reckon the Xtrainer in the extreme stuff would be ideal. That slightly smaller frame combined with the brilliant engine power delivery would make it great. I reckon keeping the 300EXC for faster stuff is a very good idea if you can afford to keep 2 bikes.
Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Expert

Arctra

Great informative write up

Nice work
Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Dweller

Next time you ride at Belanglo jump on the Big 480 Dean. It'll put you under its spell😂🇮🇹👍. Nice write up mate.
Old 4 Days Ago
DBW Clubman

now look what you have done!! I feel like trading in my 390 for a 250!!!
and how would I explain that to my wife???