dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Honda Forum

Honda Forum For the Red Riders

Old 21-12-2010
DBW Clubman

04 crf250x valve issues

Hey guys, I had new titanium valves installed to my 04 crf250x around Xmas last year. Since then I have had about 3-4 rides, no more than 10hrs total before putting the bike in the shed after moving to Melbourne in May 2010. 7 months later I pulled the bike out of the shed, changed the fuel, flushed the carbi, new spark plug, changed the oil, oil filter etc. After about 10-15 kicks she fired up and was running good. Left it for 2 days then went to fire it up before I took the bike on holidays and I got nothing! It wouldn't even hint at firing! Not even after a good push!

First I thought might be the jetting clogged up so I cleaned them up and changed the main jet, still not firing! So I gave up and took it to the shop, the bloke said straight away, it's the RH valve, no compression! Needs shimming! He took the head off and fair enough he was right! Completely closed up!

I couldn't believe it! I have only put about 10hrs on it since I had all the valves replaced!!!! Fair enough it's been sitting for 7 months, but I had no trouble firing it up the other day!!!!

I mean I know the 04's are nutorious for spitting valves, but in 10hrs for new valves!!!

Does anyone else think this is odd? Do you think I got shafted by the last guy who replaced the valves? Maybe he just told he put new titanium valves in and then he just shinned them?? It would make more sense if they were only shimmed and not replaced??? I am baffled to think that after 10hrs on brand new titanium valves, the RH valve has completey closed up????

What are your thoughts guys? 10hrs on new vlaves? Is the common? I got alot longer out it when the old valves had there last adjustment???

Right now I'm thinking of trading it in for a new 2010 kato, I can't keep spending $ on the crf250x. In the 2years I have had it, I have spent more than what I paid for it!!! It's a good bike but jeez the valves are weak as piss!!!!

Let me know what you think, am I wrong to think that 10hrs on new valves is way to short a time to need adjustment?
Old 21-12-2010
dbw Pro Legend

I think there would be thousands of post regarding this issue.
Most come up with see harry at Wideline Eng,now at Mornington Honda.
Old 21-12-2010
dbw Pro

did the guy at the shop tell if the valves had been replaced recently? definitely seems odd.
Old 21-12-2010
dbw Factory Pro

If no dirt has gotten in then it doesnt sound right, valves do settle in but the movement shouldnt be much - at least not enough to close it up completely. Maybe they did put new valves in but didnt recut the seats for the new valves. They need to be recut or the new valves will wear very quickly.
Or maybe they did but left the original shims in after replacing them and the valve has settled but closed up coz the clearance wasnt correct to start with, dunno.
I would reshim and see from there, you will soon know coz once they start moving they will close up again quite quickly if they are worn, if not then it was just the valves settling and maybe the clearances werent right after they replaced the valves.

"Life begins at the end of your comfort Zone"

CRF450R '08
XR680R
CR500R
DRZ400 for the wife
Old 21-12-2010
dbw Pro

and if you're worried about paying even more money to get the shop to shim them again, it's an easy job. if you can clean your jets you can check / shim valves on a crf.
Old 21-12-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBKTM View Post
I think there would be thousands of post regarding this issue.
Most come up with see harry at Wideline Eng,now at Mornington Honda.
AGREE COMPLETELY

Do not bother re-shimming
It should never have had OEM Ti's put back in.

You need to get in running again to sell it or ride it.
You are in Vic now and Wideline have a great track record sorting out this known problem.

Warning: Mountain Bikes will steal your weekends
Old 21-12-2010
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

There's a chance they were either just reshimmed, or that they were replaced without the seats being recut first.

The 04 head, as OZX can attest to doesn't have great valve seats. Your option is to either get new (non honda) valves and seats put in it, or buy a turnkey head such as an 08/09R head (heaps better porting for more power) preinstalled with either SS or exeldynes.

Do not use honda valves.
(Although this may be changing as 2010 is yeilding few valve issues and they supposedly increased the valve spring quality in 2009).

For my next X I am just going to get a cheap low hours 06 and bolt on a complete $800 09R head with exeldyne valves and springs.
Old 21-12-2010
dbw Pro Addict

In the 2years I have had it, I have spent more than what I paid for it!!! It's a good bike but jeez the valves are weak as piss!!!!

Gee, I thought honda valves were cheap, wow $9000 worth of valves, how many is that?
Old 21-12-2010
dbw Pro Champion

wideline enginnering in mornington is your answer $380 ss inlets recut all seats and new seals setup shim clearence ready to bolt back on and you wont have a problem with them

gone gone yz/wr250 2st gone yz426f +06yz250 gone after breakin leg on it current 07 crf250x
Old 21-12-2010
DBW Clubman

I've had the bike for 2 years, valves replaced 3 times now, once when I first got the bike and then 6 months later and again 6 months after that! But I was riding it every chance I got racking up alot of hours. I paid $6,000 for the bike a little over 2 years ago. I was getting charged around $800 for new valves, cheapest time was $650 the first time. Add to that the adjustments in between, new piston, and other things here and there like rewiring, new header pipe, front shocks etc.

All up I would say I have spent maybe $7,000 on the bike just to keep it running and that's not including tyres, new plastics/stickers, exhaust and other extras I have put on the bike!

Any way I got the bike back now and it's running good, only cost me $80 to get the valve shimmed, so that's not too bad when the bloke at the shop said around $200. I think it's time to upgrade now anyway, I want to move up to a 450 and I think I'd be better off getting an early 2010 bike next year when the new 2011's come in (hoping the price will drop a little). At least then I will have a warranty and also I shouldn't have to worry about forking money out on the bike, unless it's my own fault.