dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 02-09-2009
dbw Pro

Technical question regarding "The Motor "

Got a question for the trail blazers.

The bikes a YZ450f
I havent had to many encounters with deep water and deep mud. The other week i encountered both.
Drowned the bike in a small river, then got bogged in the middle of a swamp, got off the bike and it just stood there, water up just below the air box and the bike up to its belly in sludgy mud.
As fun as that was, when i gets home and dump the oil on the bike, i find sludgy mud for oil and a oil filter blocked as well. After 6 oil changes, 3 filters and dumping some kero through the motor, it started to come clean again.

Which brings me to the question.
Whats a couple tips for making the bike a bit more water proof?
From what i can gather the mud was sucked up through the breather hose which runs from the rocker cover and down alongside the frame. Is there any tricks for that? Also is there any way of making the air box a bit more water tight?
Any tips please?

http://www.youtube.com/user/MXers5?feature=mhee
Old 02-09-2009
dbw Pro

Thumbs down

you Sould Never Dump Kero Through You Motor
CRF250R07 REC REGO
CRF100 06 REC REGO
CRF150R09 REC REGO
KTM500 2012 REC REGO
HUSABERG FE501,2014 FULL REGO
TOO MANY OTHER BIKES
AMTRA MEMBER

^
Old 02-09-2009
dbw Pro Hero

If you got dirty water in the crankcase the motor needs disassembling and cleaning and so do the oil lines and tank, clear water residue will evaporate but dirt won't. If that oil breather line is the same as an 06 WR450, just plugged in the bottom of the air filter its a disgrace, ignoring pressure changes in the crankcase every time the piston goes down it tries to push 450cc of air out that hose and when it comes back up it pulls 450cc of dirty air out of the air box the only three things that save a motor full of garbage is the pumping loss through the relatively small hose, the length of the hose and blowby past the rings filling some of the void but of course thats carbon laced anyway. I think you can get aftermarket filters to fit in that hose sealing is logical and plenty of manafacturers have sent bikes out without properly sealing the airbox hose junction.
Old 02-09-2009
dbw Pro

OK ....why not put kero through the motor to clean?? I spoke to a bike mechanic , he said it was the best thing to use to clean it out.

The breather hose comes out of the top of the motor, and runs down the frame about a foot or so. When the motor is running and i stick my finger at the end of the hose, it sucks some air.
Was thinking maybe re routing the breather hose up higher so it doesnt suck in water if i go though a river crossing or something.

Old 02-09-2009
dbw Pro Hero

You could run it up through a filter and into the top of the airbox but if you're in the habit of turning the bike upside down oil could run out thats why its been run down.
Old 02-09-2009
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
you Sould Never Dump Kero Through You Motor..
better to use something that leaves an oily film (like kero or diesel), than petrol.

if its had MUD inside it, its never going to be 100% clean without a full tear down
'92 Yamaha WR 200 Gone
70cc China bike, for the kids young and old
Old 02-09-2009
dbw Factory Pro

Kero or diesel is the best for cleaning out engines IMO. Ive done it quite a few times.

These are just fine oils, and kero has cutting qualities to "cut" through sludge and carbonised deposits.

If i had a drowned motor I would be doing exactly what you are doing.

Do not part the motor to clean dirt which may not be there. Put a couple of cycles of kero, or even fine-cut kero or white spirit, cycle through the gears by turning back wheel on stand in gear, then dump. REPEAT.

At the end of the day, some internal damage MAY occur however if you part the motor, well you are rebuilding it anyway. i know what i would do.

Plenty of people drown bikes without splitting cases and surgically cleaning- Just my 2c
Old 02-09-2009
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom68 View Post
You could run it up through a filter and into the top of the airbox but if you're in the habit of turning the bike upside down oil could run out thats why its been run down.
ah k, cool. might give that a go. Just wanted to try something so next time i go out and come across a swamp, i wont have to go through 10 litres of oil on the next oil change.

Was hoping to get out of it with out a full tear down, but may have to if i want it to last.
I rode again on the weekend and have done a oil change after, was still dirty but not too bad. Checked the oil filter and it showed no signs of mud, so a good sign. No doubt theres still some silt floating around in there.

Any suggestions on how to make the airbox a bit more water tight?

Old 02-09-2009
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirky View Post
Kero or diesel is the best for cleaning out engines IMO. Ive done it quite a few times.

These are just fine oils, and kero has cutting qualities to "cut" through sludge and carbonised deposits.

If i had a drowned motor I would be doing exactly what you are doing.

Do not part the motor to clean dirt which may not be there. Put a couple of cycles of kero, or even fine-cut kero or white spirit, cycle through the gears by turning back wheel on stand in gear, then dump. REPEAT.

At the end of the day, some internal damage MAY occur however if you part the motor, well you are rebuilding it anyway. i know what i would do.

Plenty of people drown bikes without splitting cases and surgically cleaning- Just my 2c
Cool, i feel like i'm on the right track, but wanted to get opinions from guys that ride and not just the bike shop down the road.
I've never drowned a bike like this before so never had to deal with it. lol
must admit, it was worth every minute
cheers

Old 02-09-2009
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStudMuffin View Post
i wouldnt panic, the filter would catch anything dangerous before it pumps to the top end of the motor, anything in the transmission i imagine couldnt be any worse than the typical metal inside there.

take it for a couple short gentle low rpm rides and drop the fluid a couple times until you have a clean filter.

i'm not a 4T dirt motor cycle expert, someone else may elaborate more
yeah the filter was totally full of black silt, so changed it, did some more oil changes, then changed the filter again, and then once more after the ride on the weekend. The filter didnt look to bad after the ride on the weekend so i guess thats a good sign.
But i dont want to have to do this again