dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Proudly Sponsored by Mainjet Motorcycles

Old 21-02-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Question Steering stem adding a sleeve to an inner race?

I want to fit a tapered steering bearing on a shaft which is 4mm OD undersize or said differently the tapered bearing inner size is 4mm too big.
Is it a crazy idea to fit a sleeve to the inner race of tapered steering head bearing and then press onto the new steering stem? If I get the dimensions correct it should work well.

Any suggestions?
Old 21-02-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von View Post
I want to fit a tapered steering bearing on a shaft which is 4mm OD undersize or said differently the tapered bearing inner size is 4mm too big.
Is it a crazy idea to fit a sleeve to the inner race of tapered steering head bearing and then press onto the new steering stem? If I get the dimensions correct it should work well.

Any suggestions?
Piece of cake. The factory does it on some roadies. Dirt bikes have almost zero shear loading of the headset Von, all the load is axial. It'll work fine.

Don't try to sleeve the inner races, the tungsten steel won't expand enough to allow a decent I.F. Sleeve the shaft first as a tight I.F., Resize the shaft if required and then assemble as normal.

If the shaft is alloy use 'super wick-in' or 'super bearing mount' when fitting the sleeve, it won't budge. I've used this method to save rare rear hubs and fit sleeves with 100% success.