dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Rider Organisations > Super Motard Riders

Old 21-12-2016
dbw Pro

Sprocket combinations ?

I have a KTM 500 exc 2013 model

I run a 14/50 combination with the dirt set up that goes well and has plenty of bottom end punch , front wheel lifts easily at low revs in 3 Rd for wheelies

I have set it up with motards for the summer as it is too hot and dusty to ride dirt here in the summer

I currently have a 14/45 sprocket combination on but find it's geared a bit too tall only had a quick ride so didn't get it out on the open road to see how it reved at higher speeds

Just wondering what sprocket combinations have worked well for others and the benifits and losses with those combinations

The motard rims I have are 17 inch

Thanks in advance
2009 Yamaha pw80 for the young bloke
Old 21-12-2016
DBW Clubman

by my rough calculations 14/46 should get you close enough to stock gearing with a 160/60r16 rear wheel.

Stock dirt gearing is pretty much spot on for street use at legal speeds, ie 0-100kph.

Any taller you will lose power.

Any shorter you won't really gain acceleration as the 6 speed gear box is already low in the first few gears. Plus the gears will feel too close and it will be difficult to keep the front end down. Wheelies are fun but your steering and braking performance comes from the front wheel. You don't want to too light in the corners.
Old 21-12-2016
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvorak View Post
by my rough calculations 14/46 should get you close enough to stock gearing with a 160/60r16 rear wheel.

Stock dirt gearing is pretty much spot on for street use at legal speeds, ie 0-100kph.

Any shorter you won't really gain acceleration as the 6 speed gear box is already low in the first few gears. Plus the gears will feel too close and it will be difficult to keep the front end down. Wheelies are fun but your steering and braking performance comes from the front wheel. You don't want to too light in the corners.
So the 14/45 combo I have on now sounds about right
Unfortunately I have to wait another week until
I'm home again to test on faster roads and go from there
I have a spare 13 for the front that came with the bike I might put that on as well to compare the difference
Old 22-12-2016
dbw Pro Champion

I can't comment much westaussie yet I would say that if you're used to 14 on the front then you should stay & stick with that.
Very broadly speaking 14/48 is 1 in 4 so 1 on the front is worth 4 on the back & vice-versa: It's merely Yin & Yang kinda ratios.

Changing the rear sprocket size costs you the price of the rear sprocket (maybe)... but a small front sprocket is wrecked pretty quick along with your chain & likely resulting in both of your sprockets wrecked as-well... costs you both... triple actually... if & when you'd count all those sums.

I'd try to stay with the 14t front if I could & I'd then try to suss the maths as to what the rear sprocket size ought to be:-
14/56 is akin to 4:1. 14/42 is akin to 3:1. So that difference of 14 equates to about a quarter difference in between those.

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...d.php?p=713071
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 22-12-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvorak View Post

Any shorter you won't really gain acceleration as the 6 speed gear box is already low in the first few gears. Plus the gears will feel too close and it will be difficult to keep the front end down. Wheelies are fun...
Gearing has no effect whatsoever on power WA, it lowers torque at the road wheel. And... ALL the fun of SM bikes is lifting the wheel in every gear. if they're geared too long you can't steer the bike with the rear, very boring.
It's not a Harley FFS, get into it.
Old 22-12-2016
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Gearing has no effect whatsoever on power WA, it lowers torque at the road wheel. And... ALL the fun of SM bikes is lifting the wheel in every gear. if they're geared too long you can't steer the bike with the rear, very boring.
It's not a Harley FFS, get into it.
That's why I've converted for fun on the road and a odd track day
Already have a R1 so not worried about going very high speed on the sm it's more of a fun bike , when I get back from work next week I will put my dirt combo on and see how that goes on the sm setup