dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 19-01-2017
dbw Factory Pro

Electrical diagram for 2017 KTM

I'm after the electrical diagram for a 2017 KTM 250 EXC-F. The connector that supposedly supplies 12 v's to the fan isn't. What am I missing?

AndrewKTM450
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

The mystery deepens

Still after the wiring diagram but have found the the power wire to the auxiliary connector that should power a Trailtech fan goes to a relay holder with no relay in it. No wonder there was no power getting to the plug.
I've started the bike & get 3 volts @ the opposite pin to the switched power wire. What the? 3 volts & not 12????
The diagram would help immensely as all the wires are taped up. There are other relays in the airbox. I presume 1 is for the fuel pump.

AndrewKTM450
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Champion

do you have the owners manual? there will be a diagram in there.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Do Trail Tech still supply the cables for the direct conection to the battery ? Atleast you can use it until you get your other issue soughted

2013 Ktm150Sx

2006 Ktm200Exc
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

1. I do have the Owners Manual but the wiring diagram is not in it. Evidently that is in the Service Manual which you have to buy.
2. The fan did come with a fused wiring loom to connect it directly to the battery but the fan draws 150 micro amps when the bike is off so it's not nearly as good a solution as having it powered by the onboard switched power supply that's designed to run it in the first place. It's not a lot of current but it will kill the battery eventually if you don't ride it for a few weeks.

AndrewKTM450
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

http://kristofsx.com/

$10 from this bloke

Hanna Somatics
www.hannasomatics.com

Feldenkrais
www.feldenkrais.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

I've sent him an email also. He's got the Six Day listed but not the regular bike. I presume it's the same wiring loom but I've asked him to be sure.

AndrewKTM450
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Got the complete repair manual with all the electrical diagrams. 👍🏻

AndrewKTM450
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJay84 View Post
do you have the owners manual? there will be a diagram in there.
newer model KTM owner manuals no longer have the electrical schematics.For the last few years, at least.
09 KTM300EXC-E
89 KTM125EXC
Old 3 Days Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Trail Tech fans in 2017 KTM 250 EXC-F

Below is my recent reply to KTM, Trail Tech & MX Store about my purchasing of a 732-FN3 Trail Tech fan from MX Store. After it didn't work when I connected it to the KTM auxiliary socket as per the instructions, I contacted MX Store & Trail Tech & they confirmed I did indeed have the correct fan for my bike. They were somewhat correct but left out a vital detail about the relay that needs to be installed in the empty socket on the bike. Trail Tech suggested I use the fused wiring harness that comes with the kit but that draws a constant 150 micro amps when connected to the battery & I didn't like the idea of that when the correct installation uses a relay that draws zero amps when the bike if off.
I ordered the relay from Element14, fitted it to the empty socket, jammed the relay in the rubber holder that previously held the empty socket in the airbox & connected the fan motor directly to the KTM auxiliary socket. All the connectors match. It's a doddle when you have right bits & information.
KTM's response to my questions was poor & didn't address what I had asked. I got the distinct feeling they just wanted me to go away & were concerned giving any info away.

Ben,
I'm glad to report that my suspicions about the relay socket & the auxiliary plug on my KTM were correct. I fitted a $12, CM1a-R-12V relay in the empty socket & ran the bike to get it hot with the Trail Tech temperature switch set to 95'C. At 90'C I saw the voltage @ the auxiliary plug go up to 14.5 volts. That's exactly what I was hoping would happen. I then disconnected the Trail tech fan motor plug from the Trail Tech temperature switch socket & plugged it directly into the KTM auxiliary socket.
As the bike warmed up, the fan started. BRILLIANT!
If anybody else asks about fitting a Trailtech fan to a 2017 250 EXC-F, you can now let them know they just need a relay & don't bother using the Trail Tech temperature switch. Just plug the fan motor directly into the auxiliary socket.

Justin,
Your statement that the 732-FN3 is the correct fan for my bike was mostly correct. If there's a cheaper model that just has the mounting frame, fan & CM1a-R-12V relay without the wiring harness & temperature switch, that would be a more appropriate solution. I presume this is what is purchased by KTM when they're fitted in the factory.

MX Store,
I'm happy now but you may like to update the details on the units you sell so other riders don't have to go through the frustrations I have. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Andrew

On 21 Jun 2017, at 13:32, Ben Ashley <ben.ashley@ktm.com.au> wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your question.

I can confirm the genuine KTM accessory fan does come with a relay.

Regards your enquiry on the aftermarket thermo fan it is recommended to speak to your supplier regards installation instructions supplied with that product , who should have provided instructions based on their own fitment and testing and therefore answer these questions .

If the fan is fitted as the product manufacture instructs and there issues related to that fitment/operation then the inquiry is with the supplier and we are not able to provide technical support for that product.

Best Regards-

Ben Ashley
KTM and Husqvarna Motorcycles
Australia & New Zealand

AndrewKTM450