dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > TM, Ossa, Aprilia, BMW, Maico & more

TM, Ossa, Aprilia, BMW, Maico & more A forum for all other boutique brands.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
DBW Clubman

Shawry
It's got 6300km on it. Don't know the hours because the factory speedo unit counts the hours constantly, even with the ign off and key out. In fact it's counting right now while I watch TV and write this. Oh yeah, and the hr meter can be reset. I can't see any reason why it was designed like that, but it was.

It did have a piston kit fitted at 3500km as a result of what may have been a small amount of dust working its way past a poorly sealed airbox / airboot. However, I did get the bike as an ex demo with 800km on it, so no way of knowing if the dirt ingestion occurred before I owned it. It was still running ok but the dealer noted slightly low compression during an "end of warranty" check.

Apart from that, and I can't really blame that on SWM, I've had no problems.

Serviced every 1500 - 2000km using hiflow filter and penrite full synthetic 10w60 m/cycle oil. Forks and shock serviced after 1 year. Steering, swingarm and linkage bearings greased annually. Air filter changed as required, I've got 3, so I clean and rotate them through. I also warm it up before riding and have never hit the rev limiter.

I'm really happy with the bike. I do wonder what sort of engine life I can expect, but from what I understand this engine is quite robust. And as I've already said, I don't rev it hard. I don't reckon it's been much passed 8000rpm. They say ride it like you stole it. I say ride it like you're the one who's paying to fix it!!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

I reckon the 19s look mint. Would buy a 300 most likely if I could get it past the missus for the more open, slower rides & odd pony express. 500 would be fun too though for bigger km rides.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
DBW Clubman

I agree, the black really works on them. Wonder if the plastics will fit mine.
I haven't seen one in the flesh yet and am curious if the changes are purely cosmetic or run deeper.

Since fitting the bigger tank I've noticed the original plastics have an annoying ridge that runs from the seat forward toward the radiators. It didn't really bother me, but now I know it's there it's slightly annoying. Looks like the new bikes don't have it (as best i can tell from the pics anyway).
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldscool View Post
Shawry
It's got 6300km on it. Don't know the hours because the factory speedo unit counts the hours constantly, even with the ign off and key out. In fact it's counting right now while I watch TV and write this. Oh yeah, and the hr meter can be reset. I can't see any reason why it was designed like that, but it was.
That's not an hour meter, its a clock.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac View Post
That's not an hour meter, its a clock.
Haha. No wonder I'm always late.

I can't work out what it's for. It's got a clock, 2 trip meters, odo, speedo, tacho, stop watch, average speed, max speed and this hr meter. The owners manual says it shows running time but as I said it's always counting up. About all it shows is chronological age of the bike.
Old 1 Day Ago
DBW Clubman

Well, I've had the latest SWM ecu map update installed along with SWM's map dedicated to the Arrow muffler. The ecu can support 2 maps and they can be accessed by connecting or disconnecting a loop plug behind the headlight. I fitted a switch that allows me to swap between maps while on the run. Both these maps still use the O2 sensor, however I'm told SWM also have a 3rd map available that ignores the O2 sensor.

My bike has the Arrow muffler fitted and when running the Arrow map it runs and performs beautifully. The idle is steady, throttle response is positive and strong and fuel economy appears to have improved. I also noticed I had to back the idle screw out approx 1 and a half turns from where I had it, to drop the idle speed back to 2000rpm. Fuel economy improved from 6l/100km to just under 5l/100km. I am prepared to accept that the fuel economy change may also be due to other factors, so I'll keep an eye on it but it certainly didn't use more fuel.

When I'm running the SWM standard map I get an unsteady idle, a softer throttle response and more popping on overrun. All this points to a lean condition, which is to be expected as the standard map is tuned for the stock dual muffler system. This map may be useful in slippery and tight conditions or when I'm tired, as long as it doesn't do the old cough and stall, but I'm yet to really test it.

Previously, I removed 2 clutch springs to lighten the action and although it didn't slip, I got nervous. I've since reinstalled the springs but have placed washers under the spring bolts to reduce their preload and hence the lever pressure. Not as light as springs removed but lighter than standard. This, along with the Midwest Engineering lever, gives a light clutch feel and a long engagement point.

Until next time, may the wheels stay under you and blue skies above.