dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop

The Workshop Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.twostrokeperformance.com.au

Old 19-01-2019
dbw Factory Pro

clutch reservoir seal

I am not excatly sure why, but I decided to use DOT 5.1 in the clutch master of my Beta. I am not sure if that is the cause but it seems to swell up the membrane between the lid and reservoir to such an extend that it is almost impossible to reuse after I opened it to refill. Is this possible, normal? I'll order a new seal and use DOT4 in future to crosscheck.
Old 19-01-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Order the O ring on the piston in the slave while you are at it.
It is known to fail also.
Old 20-01-2019
dbw Factory Pro

DR if you have the tools I would strip the whole hyd line out,Dismantle the M/c and Slave
wash out with white fluid. Flush line with new Dot 4 B F.
Then when assy, coat / smear the dot 4 over seals / pistons etc.
Prime the M/c, the Caliper and Line seperately, reassemble and flush then bleed,

DOT 5.0 is silicon based and completely different. Stay away from it unless your OEM states it.

Now a days there are mineral and synthetic in the DOT 2 to 4 and 5.1=.
For mine the M/C systems run such a small qty in each separate system that unless I have the saved some fluid from the last flush ...and be careful if that's say a 100 ml in a 500ml bottle over the course of 12 -15mths it too can induce moisture into the fluid..... Just go with a new bottle. And flush it.

Even all The Dot 2-4 and Dot 5.1 are not all the same. With mineral based and synthetic. And each manufacurer ( in cars anyway) stating there own spec....its a minefield
GL
Old 21-01-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Thanks MF. That is the funny thing. On the lid instructions allow for 5.1. I replaced the cover seal maybe 2 month ago but now it is completely deformed, enlarged and swollen to the extend that it will not allow for any oil in the cylinder after installed. I will try and replace all seals and start again with DOT4 only. The DOT5.1 is a repco product by the way.
Old 21-01-2019
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxfox View Post
Even all The Dot 2-4 and Dot 5.1 are not all the same. With mineral based and synthetic. And each manufacurer ( in cars anyway) stating there own spec....its a minefield
GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrat View Post
Thanks MF. That is the funny thing. On the lid instructions allow for 5.1. I replaced the cover seal maybe 2 month ago but now it is completely deformed, enlarged and swollen to the extend that it will not allow for any oil in the cylinder after installed. I will try and replace all seals and start again with DOT4 only. The DOT5.1 is a repco product by the way.
Spec and compatibility are two separate things DR. You've had a compatibility issue there, not an incorrect spec problem. Follow MFs advice to the letter (and pick ONE type/brand of fluid and stay with it)

Sadly you're up for fully cleaning and kitting both S/C and M/C. Trying to half-fix it will just draw out the pain.
Old 21-01-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Sadly you're up for fully cleaning and kitting both S/C and M/C. Trying to half-fix it will just draw out the pain. [/QUOTE]

I hear you loud and clear
Old 21-01-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Oh and Motofox, what's 'white fluid'?
Old 23-01-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Gday DR apols for not getting back here to your Q sooner.
Better description... its exact name is White Spirit.

As against kero or other fluids in a w/shop, this is used in brake components, auto g/boxes etc. where No residue is the aim.

Kero etc. leaves an oil film.

Available at Bunnings.
If you can't get a hold of it I recall using kero first then a final clean in Metho should get rid of any trace of the offending brake fluid.

Happy to be corrected if reco isn't spot on.
Old 23-01-2019
DBW Clubman

I've only ever used methylated spirits, which is alcohol based, on brake components
White spirits is petroleum based. I was told, as an apprentice, that you can't use any petroleum based cleaning products on brake hydraulic components. Never questioned it.

Hydraulic brake seals are made of rubber which swells when exposed to petroleum based products.
Old 24-01-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldscool View Post
I've only ever used methylated spirits, which is alcohol based, on brake components
White spirits is petroleum based. I was told, as an apprentice, that you can't use any petroleum based cleaning products on brake hydraulic components. Never questioned it.

Hydraulic brake seals are made of rubber which swells when exposed to petroleum based products.
http://www.recochem.com.au/index.php..._white_spirits

"Do not let product come in contact with rubber"