dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 24-12-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
...If you're wealthy and can afford the best representation you can just about get away with anything. If you're unwell or suffering hardship then a leniency is always granted.. If you fall between this then you are to be used to set an example to the rest of the population that this behaviour is not acceptable.
And ever has it been thus Jake...Justice 'should' be blind.

Alas, as you say, constant qualifications to the law and the law of precedent work to corrupt fairness of application.
Old 24-12-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
It's hard to dispute that anyone in their 'right mind' would do such a thing.. It's also near impossible to control anothers actions.

Do you think people should be held accountable for their actions? Even if they are unaware of the actions they are performing? It seems that mental illness; genetic or induced; through nature or nurture; through hardship etc is always seen as an excuse or justification for someones actions.
It is an issue that I struggle with. Where does "being down" turn into "depression"? Where does "low IQ" become "special needs"? Where does "poor coping mechanisms" turn into "murderous rampage"?
Old 24-12-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac View Post
It is an issue that I struggle with. Where does "being down" turn into "depression"? Where does "low IQ" become "special needs"? Where does "poor coping mechanisms" turn into "murderous rampage"?
Well ideally, as a member of society we should be functional; contributing in some way. There will always be some who aren't able to contribute a lot due to their situation and that is what welfare support is for.

I guess the point where it changes is the point where a persons condition no longer allows them to function within society.

We've never known how to deal with the people who want to operate outside of the constraints. The generational welfare dependent.. The low socioeconomic.. the professional criminals..

You don't need to be happy, healthy, wealthy or smart to be polite, considerate, honest, respectful, and have a bit of integrity. It's pretty evident that many parents don't have these traits or skills themselves, and as such their children lack them too. Perhaps the education system needs to add in a few more life skills classes rather than pure academia.
Old 24-12-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
...Perhaps the education system needs to add in a few more life skills classes rather than pure academia.
And perhaps it's not a Teachers job to instil social skills in their students.

Where do we fit this in among; banking and finance education, dole forms and social security lessons, learning to drive, swimming lessons, discos, fun runs (mostly walking because theyre too fat to run), sex education, breakfast club, how to put a franger on, social media awareness, etc?

We need to REMOVE this stuff from the syllabus so the kids can have time to learn to read, write and cipher. Parents need to understand their freaking duty to their kids.

Having said that, my K-1-2 classroom this year was set up as a sanctuary from the outside world where consciousness and good conduct was the base for all learning. When a child is happy, safe, warm, well-fed and loved, learning becomes much easier, quicker and more enjoyable.

Some of the kids' stories about their home-life near brought me to tears. One little girl apologised for their family being poor and brought me in a flower for Christmas from the playground. It's sad to see how some of the kids are treated at home, you just know they're the next 'lost generation' of meth-heads, etc.

Thanks Brooke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 24-12-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post

Where do we fit this in among; banking and finance education, dole forms and social security lessons, learning to drive, swimming lessons, discos, fun runs (mostly walking because theyre too fat to run), sex education, breakfast club, how to put a franger on, social media awareness, etc?

We need to REMOVE this stuff from the syllabus so the kids can have time to learn to read, write and cipher. Parents need to understand their freaking duty to their kids.

Having said that, my K-1-2 classroom this year was set up as a sanctuary from the outside world where consciousness and good conduct was the base for all learning. When a child is happy, safe, warm, well-fed and loved, learning becomes much easier, quicker and more enjoyable.

Some of the kids' stories about their home-life near brought me to tears. One little girl apologised for their family being poor and brought me in a flower for Christmas from the playground. It's sad to see how some of the kids are treated at home, you just know they're the next 'lost generation' of meth-heads, etc.

Thanks Brooke.
I agree with you entirely..

However you can't stop stupid reproducing.. and the situation for the kids when they are taken from said parents is rarely any better... I'm not particularly saying schools should parent, but I think perhaps there needs to be a shift in how/what is taught.

Learning itself is a skill.. unfortunately one that many lack!
Old 24-12-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
...However you can't stop stupid reproducing.. and the situation for the kids when they are taken from said parents is rarely any better...
Dunno about QLD Jake but in NSW when a child is taken from its parents and fostered out, the child's circumstances are infinitely better.

That though, is simply a measure of how bad things have to be at home before DOCS reacts.

This year has opened my eyes a little, the glimmer of hope is there though. The way our little school helps out kids whose parents are not doing well financially is heartwarming.
Old 24-12-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:

Thanks Brooke.

And thank you Pete, this is a symptom of a larger issue of blaming others for individual failings. Like someone above whom blamed do-gooders for closing insititutes, when in fact it was quite the opposite...

another point to remember when debating these type of things, there are "social influencers: whom only post every so often and are paid by certain vested "institututes" to do so. They post really misaligned stuff and dog-whistle/sway public opinion.

Ben watching some Aussie crime casts, this sorta stuff is less prevalent today, in some ways, but seems moreso because of population explosion and information systems.

A Mate of mine was former Director general of FACs in NSW, the sealed files he had to read sent him pretty bonkers...easy to blame, hard to predict.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Here we go again

Another nut bag kills 1 and tries to stab every one in sight in Sydney today. Long history of mental health bloody prick should have been locked up long ago.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:

Thanks Brooke.
Bring back the "Bad old Days" of the three R's, Discipline and Sport in Primary School. Bed down the fundamentals early.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboy View Post
Bring back the "Bad old Days" of the three R's, Discipline and Sport in Primary School. Bed down the fundamentals early.
Discipline starts at Home. The school then needs to back it up. Most of us turned out ok.