dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > KTM Forum

KTM Forum If it's Orange it's in here. Proudly sponsored by www.mainjet.com.au

Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

it would come on at 65. why would it come on at 90.

the wiring into the harness is just power for the fan. none of it goes into the ECU. the temp is controlled by an adjustable screen on the fan which has a temp probe in the radiator

KTM 300 EXC 2017
KTM 250 EXCF 2014
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

If your bike is the same as mine, the fan socket under the tank is fed power by a relay in the air box that is controlled by the ECU which looks @ the coolant temperature probe to determine when to turn the fan on & off. If you hook up a Trail Tech fan complete with adjustable temperature switch & temp probe stuck in the core fins, it won't receive any power until the ECU thinks the coolant is too hot (~ 90'C from my experience). If you set the TT temp switch to come on @ 95'C, the auxiliary socket would have already been live since 90'C (assuming your bike has the relay fitted) & the fan will work.
If you lower the setting on the TT switch to less than 90'C, the socket will be dead below 90'C an even though the TT switch is trying to turn on the fan, there is no 12 volts @ the plug to run it.
If you can test my theory by setting yours to 65'C & seeing if it comes @ 65 or 90'C, that will clear things up.
In the attached photo of the wiring diagram you can see the fan motor (-M14) is powered off relay (-K50) which gets its pilot signal from pin (-X15) on the ECU. There is no temperature switch directly controlling the fan as with the TT set up. The bikes own temperature sensor feeds into the ECU & it decides when to power up the relay which turns the fan on & off.
I'll be surprised if the 2 strokes run a different system to the 4 strokes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1610.jpg (49.5 KB, 10 views)

AndrewKTM450
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewktm450 View Post
If your bike is the same as mine, the fan socket under the tank is fed power by a relay in the air box that is controlled by the ECU which looks @ the coolant temperature probe to determine when to turn the fan on & off. If you hook up a Trail Tech fan complete with adjustable temperature switch & temp probe stuck in the core fins, it won't receive any power until the ECU thinks the coolant is too hot (~ 90'C from my experience). If you set the TT temp switch to come on @ 95'C, the auxiliary socket would have already been live since 90'C (assuming your bike has the relay fitted) & the fan will work.
If you lower the setting on the TT switch to less than 90'C, the socket will be dead below 90'C an even though the TT switch is trying to turn on the fan, there is no 12 volts @ the plug to run it.
If you can test my theory by setting yours to 65'C & seeing if it comes @ 65 or 90'C, that will clear things up.
In the attached photo of the wiring diagram you can see the fan motor (-M14) is powered off relay (-K50) which gets its pilot signal from pin (-X15) on the ECU. There is no temperature switch directly controlling the fan as with the TT set up. The bikes own temperature sensor feeds into the ECU & it decides when to power up the relay which turns the fan on & off.
I'll be surprised if the 2 strokes run a different system to the 4 strokes.
interesting i'll give it a try. Mine wouldnt come on until it hit 95 last ride. but that is based off the temp showing on the trail tech screen. next time im out i will test your theory.

I woukd assume trailtech would inclide this in their installation instructions

KTM 300 EXC 2017
KTM 250 EXCF 2014
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

You would assume that, hence my frustrations! TT said I had the right TT fan for my bike & they were 95% correct. If there was the same fan supplied with the relay & without the temp switch, they would have been 100% right!

AndrewKTM450
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

tested it today and fan started straight up on 65. Sounds like you got sold a different model

KTM 300 EXC 2017
KTM 250 EXCF 2014
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

As long as yours work & mine works, that's all that matters. Thanks for the test results!

AndrewKTM450