dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Trailtech Vapor Speed Sensor

A couple of years ago I put up this post about replacing the Trailtech Speed sensor http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...d.php?t=123882.
At the time it was commented that we should be using more technologically advanced sensors instead of a mechanical reed switch.
Well it is now almost 2020 and weíre still using them. Mine failed again recently at what is the general life expectancy of a reed switch. It failed while I was on a ride and I was relying on the odometer to track fuel usage so I thought Iíd do something about it.
I looked into Hall Effect switches as a replacement. It canít be a direct replacement for a Trailtech device because the Traiiltech Speedo input is a voltage free contact closure and the Hall Effect Switch is a powered device.
A Hall Effect Switch is basically a transistor device which saturates or becomes active when subjected to a magnetic field. There are several different types of them for different applications and in this case it must be Omnipolar , Non Latching and operating at 12V. I chose this device, just a bit bigger than a bees dick.

Speedo_B.jpg

As I donít know exactly what the input requirements of the Trailtech are I had to be careful not to damage it so I devised this circuit using an Opto Coupler which electrically isolates the input and output sides.

Speedo_A.jpg

I got a faulty Trailtech sensor and cut the cable off right at the entry , then carefully drilled out the old switch. I then attached 3 wires to the new sensor and protected it with heat shrink tube. I pushed it down into the drilled out assembly making sure it was all the way in, then I glued it in place using hot melt glue (Epoxy would be OK too).
Next I fed the 3 wires into the old tube , pushing it as far into the assembly as it would go and sealing it with hot melt.

Speedo_c.jpg

Using more Heat Shrink I enclosed the 3 wires at the top of the tube. This need to have a plug on it as it has to be fed through the guides up the fork leg alongside the brake line..
Next I assembled the Opto coupler on a small piece of vero board and encapsulated it in more heat shrink. The plug which connects to the speedo input can be cut off the old cable and attached to the Opto coupler module output that plugs in to the trailtech. Polarity is important.
The module needs to be powered from a suitable 12V switched source.

Speedo_D.jpg

Speedo_E.jpg

Speedo_F.jpg

Install it and it will last forever. You can try this at home.

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority and promoted by mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Last edited by DV8; 1 Week Ago at 05:47 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro

Nice work
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Bloody champion effort!
Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Clubman

Top work, cheers for sharing legend!