dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Suggestions

Suggestions What features and information would you like to see added to Dirtbike World?

Old 22-03-2017
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Thread Starter able to moderate their own thread

I know that being a moderator is a thankless task, and I appreciate what you do. But at the end of the day it is a lot to ask of a small group to keep on top of all posts across the forums. I would like to make a suggestion, and it seems vBulletin is capable of doing it...

Can you let "Thread Starters" moderate their own threads? Perhaps it will be necessary to limit in which sections people are able to do this, or maybe even force "Moderator Approval" for certain moderation actions a Thread Starter makes?

Every now and then threads get stuffed up because of one or two posts, often relatively benign, but sometimes deliberately inflammatory. Because they are do not warrant full on "Report the post to the Mods!" actions, they will be left alone and the thread-cr@pping will just remain. Sometimes the OP's only option is to delete the thread altogether, in which case the baby is thrown out with the bathwater and whatever good posts were there can no longer be seen. Finding a happy medium would be great.

Just an idea...
Old 24-03-2017
Foot long Sav

Whilst I do personally like the idea, I can see it being open to abuse.
Sometimes the replies to a post are offering an entirely valid alternative perspective.
Imagine if you will, and it is an extreme example, a post about being pro anti-vax.
Do you thing the OP would allow the pro vax posters to have their say?

Don't like a post or thread? Click on this icon in the top right of the post.

The opposite of success isn't failure, it's 'giving up'.
Old 24-03-2017
The "One" and only

Already exists Deano, if dickhead knob jockeys take too much liberty in one of my threads I delete it. Job done. It's not freaking Hansard FFS.

Quite a few informative threads have disappeared because dolts tried to derail them. Such is life.
Old 24-03-2017
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battered Sav View Post
Whilst I do personally like the idea, I can see it being open to abuse.
Sometimes the replies to a post are offering an entirely valid alternative perspective.
Imagine if you will, and it is an extreme example, a post about being pro anti-vax.
Do you thing the OP would allow the pro vax posters to have their say?
Agreed, hence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
...Perhaps it will be necessary to limit in which sections people are able to do this, or maybe even force "Moderator Approval" for certain moderation actions a Thread Starter makes?...
----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Already exists Deano, if dickhead knob jockeys take too much liberty in one of my threads I delete it. Job done. It's not freaking Hansard FFS.

Quite a few informative threads have disappeared because dolts tried to derail them. Such is life.
Yeah, but that's my point Pete - some nice useful threads are gone because it's easier to just delete the entire thread rather than individually report specific posts and hope the moderator eventually removes the posts.

By enabling self moderation of your own thread you can keep the thread on track and prevent it being taken well off track (like so often happens).
Old 25-03-2017
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post

An alternative to deleting the whole thread is to just report individual posts that are obviously not on topic, thus preserving the original thread and any good info it might contain.

If self moderation worked, we wouldn't have a country full of fatties and drunk drivers that have to continuously be reminded to wear a shirt in the sun and not beat their wife.
Old 27-03-2017
dbw Pro Hero

There's no bigger piss off on forums for me than unexplained deletion of your posts by someone else.
If your antsy about your thread staying on topic mention it in the first post.

I'm good at going off topic. Possibly pisses a lot of people off, not my intention but I'm not worried by off topic posts and can't be worrying about others.

If thread starters start deleting posts DBW will lose more of it's colorful characters.