dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > TM, Ossa, Aprilia, BMW, Maico & more

TM, Ossa, Aprilia, BMW, Maico & more A forum for all other boutique brands.

Old 23-05-2017
DBW Clubman

Just bought swm rs500r

G'day all.

I took delivery of my rs500 on Saturday. It's an ex demo bike and has around 800km on it. The bike appears well put together and I believe is in fact a 2010 Husky te500 reborn.

I haven't had a chance to get out on the dirt yet, so can't comment on riding the thing in anger, geez I'm keen though. I will post as soon as I do.

A question I have relates to the Arrow muffler that Swm are supplying as a promotion to replace the dual muffler system fitted at the factory.

Firstly, is there a spark arrester insert available/required for this muffler, as it appears to be 'straight through'? There is a removable insert but it's just a pipe about 5" long that slips inside the perforated core, I assume it reduces noise but can't see it being too effective (or restrictive for that matter).

Secondly, does fitting the muffler require the same mods as the husky power up kit did (eg. oxy sensor removed and special plug in connector for the oxy sensor loom). I understand they (swm & husky) run different brands ecu so no mods may be required.

Also any areas to keep an eye on with these bikes.

I'm new to this 4stroke efi caper and am keen to learn as much as I can.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 23-05-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Italian husky through & through Oldscool?!!

Think it's Athena ecu or maybe GET? Software/program is maya?

I'd assume you've already asked on cafe husky? Chassis almost idèntical to ya old 165. Chain adjuster bolts-grease em!!! Maybe drill small hole in end of swingarm to let water out which causes above bolts to seize. Dunno about the engine though.
Old 23-05-2017
DBW Clubman

Onto the adjuster bolts shawry.

I think ecu is GET.....I'll have to google maya

Looked on cafehusky but didn't post.........yet.
Old 23-05-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Yank boys keen to hear about em as they still can't get them yet!
Old 23-05-2017
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldscool View Post

A question I have relates to the Arrow muffler that Swm are supplying as a promotion to replace the dual muffler system fitted at the factory.

Firstly, is there a spark arrester insert available/required for this muffler, as it appears to be 'straight through'? There is a removable insert but it's just a pipe about 5" long that slips inside the perforated core, I assume it reduces noise but can't see it being too effective (or restrictive for that matter).

Secondly, does fitting the muffler require the same mods as the husky power up kit did (eg. oxy sensor removed and special plug in connector for the oxy sensor loom). I understand they (swm & husky) run different brands ecu so no mods may be required.
Any mods to the muffler will require the open-loop maps to be adjusted. The closed-loop maps will have enough leeway for the sensor to adjust the fuelling to suit the new muffler. Those dummy plugs are an issue. They fool the ECU into thinking the bike is cruising when it's really looking for more fuel. I'd steer away from them...

Arrows are pretty loud Rowan, there are aftermarket auxiliary baffles available. I used to fit them to TM 450s and 530s to quieten them down. Can't remember the brand, sorry. Possibly WRP.
Old 23-05-2017
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Any mods to the muffler will require the open-loop maps to be adjusted. The closed-loop maps will have enough leeway for the sensor to adjust the fuelling to suit the new muffler. Those dummy plugs are an issue. They fool the ECU into thinking the bike is cruising when it's really looking for more fuel. I'd steer away from them...

Arrows are pretty loud Rowan, there are aftermarket auxiliary baffles available. I used to fit them to TM 450s and 530s to quieten them down. Can't remember the brand, sorry. Possibly WRP.
Thank you for the explanation re oxy sensor removal.

I agree, the arrow is too loud with the insert removed. It seems acceptable with the insert in place.....just. I'll look into WRP.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
DBW Clubman

Well I've had a couple of rides on the 500 now.

First ride was off road on a private property with my lad on his rm125, my mate on his kx250 and his son on yz125. All these bikes are oldschool- 01, 91 & 04 respectively. The terrain was flat hard pack with some limestone gravel thrown in. The swm slots nicely in this company for play racing and general fooling around. The standout for me was its ability to find traction, front and rear, when I thought there wasn't any. It is a heavier bike than the others but it carries its weight well and certainly wasn't handicapped. Suspension compliance over sharp edge hits and braking bumps was great and I felt no desire to adjust it.
I did find throttle response at low speed was abrupt, even jerky, and required concentration to roll on/off smoothly.

The second ride was a dual sport ride. I teamed up with a 2006 450exc and BMW GS650. This ride was a wet one, with a mixture of dirt road, fire trail and tar. First thing I noticed was the gearing is too short for the tar sections, great on the other terrain but too many revs required for my liking on tar. Maximum cruising speed was around 90km/h although 80km/h was a lot more comfortable. I've since fitted a 14t (up from 13) front sprocket which I think will be my do it all gearing. I've got a 15t on order for the next ride I do with my BMW mate lol. I should add at this point I'm running a 48t rear, in hindsight I should have gone for around a 45, 47 is standard. Oh well live and learn.
As a side note the front sprocket IS NOT a husky te510 sprocket but IS an Aprilia 450/550 sprocket.

I fitted a G2 throttle tamer before this ride to try and smooth out throttle response, best thing I could have done. The smoothness up to around 1/4 throttle is beautiful on and off road. It's removed that lurch I was getting when trying to smoothly accelerate from idle either over bumpy terrain or in traffic.
The engine is nice and torquey and makes me smile when I roll it on from low speed in third gear. That forcefull shove in the pants coupled with the deep throbbing exhaust note is addictive.

I was a little concerned with fuel range given its only got a 7.2L tank. I don't think it's the issue for me that I thought it was going to be. We did 70km before a "safety" refuel and the 500 only took 3.8L, the 450 took around the same and the smarty pants on the BMW......well, he just sat there and waited. So that gives me a gentle trail range of 120 safe kms.

Now for the seat. My mate on his exc was complaining that his backside was getting numb from his hard seat. When he felt the swm seat he rolled his eyes and shut up. Man that seat is hard!! Don't know if I'll address it or just wait for my derrière to harden up.

There's talk of ecu remapping potentially giving these bikes a real boost....I'm interested but will wait and see if the talk matches the truth. I don't need more power but if the engines torque and rideability is improved then that can only be good.

The swm is effectively a 2010 husky te510.... I don't have a problem with that. I'm not a better, faster, fitter or more aggressive rider now than I was 10 years ago so why do I need a nuclear missile with a headlight......I don't. I'm having a ball on this bike, which is why I ride, and my wife was happy with the price. Win win!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Cheapskate tip for softer seats...

Grab a rubber mallet and pound the seat with it....go on..vent your rage and anger.....there... doesn't that feel better already...so pummel it some more....

the rubber mallet breaks up the hard foam without tearing it and should result in a fair bit more arse comfort....

We had a ride leader recently demonstrate his "old school Honda like" soft seat using this method on a new red bike known for its "don't your dare sit down" seat foam....this rider like his comfort, such as soft grips (he is quoted in this months ADB....)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
DBW Clubman

Worth a try roon. What your suggesting is I treat the bike's seat just like it treats my seat.
Cheers for the tip.
Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Clubman

Just sniffing around my new bike and I noticed a loop connection in the loom behind the headlight. It looks like a factory connection and loops a black wire with a yellow wire. Looking at the SWM wiring diagram, the closest thing I can see it being is a map switch connection. According to the diagram though that loops a yellow wire with a grey wire, not black. Even though it's on the diagram it's not referred to in any text.

Anyone know what it actually is?
Is it accessing a different ecu map due to the arrow muffler being fitted?

Cheers.