dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > TM, Ossa, Aprilia, BMW, Maico & more

TM, Ossa, Aprilia, BMW, Maico & more A forum for all other boutique brands.

Old 25-08-2017
dbw Pro

I have a new chain (not yet fitted) as Peter Stevens had em on special .. but also want to go 45 rear with a 13 front in my dilly bag when I'm out and about.
I haven't actually been out on the Tractionator yet (140/80) but I'll let you know

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 30-08-2017
DBW Clubman

I've decided to set it up for some summer dual sport riding by fitting a Motoz mountain hybrid 120/100x18 and 15-45 gearing.

Had a short test ride today with this setup and I'm very happy with the tyre and gearing for this type of riding. It makes cruising the main roads a breeze running 5000rpm at 100km/h.

As a side note, I'm using a chain length that allows me enough adjustment to swap to a 13t front sprocket. With this chain and the massive tyre, when running the 15t, the tyre eats the rubber shock guard. No matter, just make a new one with some rubber sheet I have. Perhaps I should have gone for the 110/100 instead??
Old 31-08-2017
dbw Pro

It's not pretty .. but it seems to work well enough

Old 31-08-2017
DBW Clubman

That'll work.
Knew I should of patented it
Old 01-09-2017
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldscool View Post
That'll work.
Knew I should of patented it
Too late! In other news ... bugga! Bloody short OEM chain!

Old 17-09-2017
DBW Clubman

Slapper, I've sent you a PM..
Old 25-05-2018
DBW Clubman

To my rs500:

Just fitted an IMS 3gal (11.5 litre) tank. The tank is actually for a husky te510 and so required the rear sideplates from the same model husky. The swm seat fits, as in connects up and works, but with the massive gap between husky side plates and seat base, it looks a bit average (might be good for horsepower though). I found a seat from a husky cr125 that fits perfectly. Now I'm looking for some husky lower radiator shrouds to fit up to the tank, rather than cut up the original ones. This new tank will increase my planned fuel stops from 100km to 180km. That's a lot easier to plan around and will stop the eye rolls from my mates every time I mention needing fuel soon (seemed like I used to say it as we rolled outa the servo ).

I also replaced the rear motoz mountain hybrid (120/100x18) with a motoz extreme hybrid (110/100x18). The tyre had around 3000km on it and although still performing acceptably, was looking sad. I must say it had served me well all through our summer months, with lots of hot tar and dry dirt/gravel road miles. I'm hoping the extreme version will work just as well on wet dirt roads and better on wet tar than a knobby. I reckon with a slight attitude adjustment it'll even be ok on sand and mud. Perhaps not as good as a "real" knobby but good enough to keep me happy. I went down from a 120/100 to the 110/100 because the big one is too close to the shock flap for my liking.
Old 3 Days Ago
DBW Clubman

Just an update for those interested.

Picked up a set of wheels from a te510 that look in good condition. Now I've got a set of rims with off road gearing (standard 13/47) and tyres and a set with road/trail gearing (15/45) and DOT tyres. Husky rear came with a solid rotor which I've used on the off road set up, figuring the drilled would be better for road work.

I've also removed 2 clutch springs as per Scott Summers setup tips to lighten the clutch pull. It's certainly lighter but the jury's still out on whether it's upto the job or not. I have noticed that it can be forced to slip under severe abuse but not under normal use. However I've really only given it a test ride around the block so far.

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a heavier rear spring, standard is a 5.2 and I've gone for a 5.8. I'll let you know my thoughts once I've had a chance to evaluate the suspension performance with it fitted. As far as I can find out the front comes with 0.44's fitted which I'll be leaving for the time being. I'd be interested to hear what springs people fitted to their husky te510's or 450's (or rs500 obviously) . For the record I weigh in at 77kg in my jocks. Dunno what I weigh with riding gear on.
Old 3 Days Ago
DBW Clubman

Well, I've had a chance to ride with the new rear suspension spring (5.8 up from 5.2 original) and the lightened clutch (2 pressure plate springs removed).

Rear suspension originally had 30mm static sag with 105 rider sag, now has 40mm static sag and 100mm rider sag. The original spring also had 17mm preload the new has 10mm preload. The rear suspension is much more compliant over small to medium sized impacts, particularly braking bump type impacts. It still amazes me how much improvement is gained by simply fitting the correct spring.

Clutch performance is great. No slip in top gear at full throttle with taller than standard gearing, combined with a beautifully light 1 finger operation.
Old 2 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

How many hours/km mate? Any issues?