dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Suggestions

Suggestions What features and information would you like to see added to Dirtbike World?

Old 17-06-2018
dbw Factory Pro

hmmm amazing that all tyre fitters and mechanics are being taught wrong.

Never have I seen wheel studs oiled before being torqued or OEMs saying all bolts need to be lubricated before being torqued. Occassionally they will say the thread needs lubrication or light oiling.

I find using the torque wrench on spokes helps with a consistent tightness across all spokes instead of going by feel of hand.

Better order a shirt then...size large please

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zU3Qv1_6pmKMrA
Old 17-06-2018
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Anyone using a spoke torque wrench on used wheels should just get a T-shirt printed saying "I am a dickhead", it'd be way cheaper and achieve the same result.
Bulk buy?

I might be a dickhead, but at least with a spoke torque wrench I could appear to be more skilled than the other dickheads.

If I get a spoke torque wrench then could I then claim to be well spoken?

Various unfinished projects

One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.
Old 17-06-2018
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspowersports View Post
hmmm amazing that all tyre fitters and mechanics are being taught wrong.

Never have I seen wheel studs oiled before being torqued or OEMs saying all bolts need to be lubricated before being torqued. Occassionally they will say the thread needs lubrication or light oiling.

I find using the torque wrench on spokes helps with a consistent tightness across all spokes instead of going by feel of hand.

Better order a shirt then...size large please
Hard to teach feel, it's earned, easier to give people numbers that'll hopefully keep them out of trouble.

The correct fastener installation is actually a length measurement of the stretch of the fastener. Diesel Mechanics will be familiar with this.

Almost all my important fasteners get a drop of lube on the thread and another on the bearing surface, including wheel nuts. If you tell people to use lube on bolts they get anti-seize and have it hanging off everything in sight causing other problems.

http://arp-bolts.com/p/FAQ.php
Old 17-06-2018
dbw Factory Pro

Yeah we used to have to torque turn a lot of the bigger stuff on heavy earth moving gear. Torque it to X amount and then turn X degrees. Most of the time these bolts could be re used and the OEM guides never mentioned nee bokts. A few times there were special bolts that were once off.items.

There are lots of articles and discussion about the change of coefficency of friction for a lubricated bolt and how it can cause more stretch to the bolt

I think spoke torque wrenchs are fine and good for anyone who isn't highly experienced. for me they make it quick and easy to check a wheel knowing its consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zU3Qv1_6pmKMrA
Old 17-06-2018
dbw Pro Legend

I don't like the spoke torque wrenches because some spokes have seized nipples as has already been mentioned.

Problem is equal spoke tension. Doesn't matter so much if there is a ding in the rim....spoke tension should be equal. Not sure if this would work on motorcycles? https://www.parktool.com/product/spo...ion-meter-tm-1

I was having a beer in a mate's shed recently and casually observed this;

Hard to see but the spoke opposite had also backed out about 5mm.

Two the same other side. Only spokes under tension in the wheel were those on the brake side pointing backwards due to braking forces.

Point is, you don't need a torque wrench or a spoke tension tool to go around the wheel, feel for loose spokes, give 'em all a bang with your spanner and nip em up if they feel loose! You can develop a feel for it pretty quickly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1159.JPG (119.0 KB, 21 views)