dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Ride Reports & Local Issues > Queensland Ride Reports & Local Issues

Old 07-07-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Another DV8 ride

In May I did another solo ride in and around the Simpson Desert. The plan was drive to Birdsville and leave the ute there as I have done before. The trusty new DRZ was sorted out with only a couple of thousand Kís on the clock.
Plan A On the bike, down the track to Marree, up the Oodnadatta track to Oodnadatta and Mt Dare, then across the Rig Rd to the K1 Line then down to Warburton Crossing. Nature intervened again and the water came down and closed the Crossing. Ironically itís the second time that same water has stuffed my plans. In March I was working at a remote site in the Gulf and we were evacuated when Cyclone Iris came past. That dumped a lot of rain which eventually found its way to Lake Eyre, flooding Warburton crossing on the way.
Anyway, Plan B Up to Poeppel Corner and the QAA line

Map

Somehow I lost the SD card with the first part of the video and photos. When it filled up I changed it and itís lost. So if anyone is out that way can you please keep an eye out for a 32G micro SD card on the side of the track. Itís somewhere between about 20kís south of Poeppel corner and Birdsville. ;-)

It was all fairly uneventful and after Mt Dare I had a few nights serenity in the Desert.
Once I got to the QAA Line the traffic built up a lot and I found a few tough spots mainly caused by holes dug by 4wdís. And flies, ****en flies everywhere. If I stopped for more than a few seconds they were there. Even the locals were complaining about them.

I met some Germans doing the Porsche Experience. I would have liked to see the Cayennes getting up Big Red.

They were all taking photos of me. They must have never seen an old fool on a motorbike before.

Earlier I had passed their camp set up at the K1/ Rig Rd intersection. I noted that they had a couple of Toyotas as support vehicles.

I enjoyed another night of serenity

I met a Dingo.

I found a hole full of really soft sand. That took some getting out of.

Then it was back to Birdsville and a beer at the pub.
I had a rest day to think about what I wanted to do next.

This is at the Birdsville Caravan Park. Only a few weeks earlier the flood water had been up to this level.

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority and promoted by mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Last edited by DV8; 11-07-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2018
dbw Pro Champion

I decided to go down the Walkers Crossing track to Innamincka.
The only casualty for the trip. About 100kís down the track I got a puncture. Lucky the road had just been graded and there were a good selection of ďstandsĒ lined up alongside the road. Lucky because in a lot of places there were none.

I havenít had to fix a puncture in the bush for years, anyway I put my spare tube in. It turned out to be a pinch flat because Iíd forgotten to put a bit more air in after being in the sand.
Because I was only at the start of this part of the ride I didnít want to risk going without a spare rear tube so I went back to Birdsville to get a new tube. Time for another beer at the pub and start again tomorrow.
The next day was uneventful, an easy run down the Walkers Crossing track to Innamincka. About 350Kís

They built a high level bridge at Walkers crossing but itís closed, some sort of structural problem I heard.

I had a beer or 2 at the Innamincka pub while I was there as well.

The next day I went up to Coongie Lakes to have a look . Thatís about 100ksí north of Innamincka.
I stopped for a look at Kudriemitchie Outstation on the way. Did I mention the flies were bad.

Kudriemitchie O/S

I had a look at the lakes and set up camp next to a waterhole on Cooper Creek not far from the Lakes.

The versatility of the DRZ.

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority and promoted by mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Last edited by DV8; 08-07-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2018
dbw Pro Champion

After another night of serenity I went back to Innamincka, refuelled (didnít have a beer) and set off for Cameron Corner going down the Qld side of the fence through Omicron and Epsilon stations.
I had a ride around the corner then checked into a Donga and had a beer or 2.

There were a few grey nomads in the bar all wearing their RM Williams gear who looked at me like I was a leper in my riding pants, T shirt and pluggers chopped off so theyíd fit in my pack.
They seem to all have a social standing order depending on the size and cost of their rig.
One of the arrogant old ****s made a comment ď Motorbike eh, temporary Australian!Ē
To which I replied Iíve been riding motorbikes for 51 years and Iím still here.
I saw him again the next day about half an hour down the track with a broken hitch. I wasnít able to help them so I kept going. Karmaís a bitch.
I headed out to Merty Merty and down the Strezleckie track.

I saw these stickers in a shelter that I stopped at. Iím not sure if thereís a connection.

Down the Stez a bit I turned off on to the Mt Hopeless / Moolawatana track.

Another peaceful night.

Then down to Balcanoona . An appropriate warning along the way

Balcanoona. An old sheep station, now a ranger station.

Last edited by DV8; 08-07-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2018
dbw Pro Champion

I went up to Arkaroola for a look and saw this on the way.

The Gammon Ranges.

From there I went down to Copley then up through Farina and Marree. I kept going up the Birdsville Track and stopped for the night at Claytons Wetland.

The sun is setting on my ride.

Next day I slabbed it up to Birdsville with a quick stop at Mungarannie for fuel and a yarn with Phil.
I managed to squeeze in another beer at the pub then I loaded up and headed home.

I had a look at progress at the Beetoota pub which is reopening soon.

I spotted this sign at Windorah. Soon you wonít be able to shoot anywhere.

Last edited by DV8; 09-07-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Cracker report mate 👍👍
Old 08-07-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Tops trip thanks for sharing. I'm surprised the no shooting sign wasn't full of bullet holes
Old 09-07-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Nice trip, thats a ride, good on you for doing that stuff on your own, not sure if I would.
Old 10-07-2018
dbw Factory Pro

Don
Awesome report. Great ride.

One question - Did you harvest water where required?
Or did your backpack suffice between known Well Sites?

Where's the next one?

Cheers
MxF
Old 10-07-2018
dbw Pro Champion

I could carry 15L of water and that's what I started out crossing the desert with. 8L of that was in 2 x "goonsack" saddlebags which are easy to pack and carry when empty
For the second part of the trip I cut back to 7L because it was more available and I had 3L in my camelback and another 4 in containers on my rack.
And wherever possible I filled up on beer the night before to supplement my fluid intake.

Old 18-07-2018
DBW Dweller

Nice Ride Report!
Im looking at doing a similar ride next year on a DR650, leaving from Mildura.
Any reason why you did the Simpson West to East considering you were in birdsville? Is it that much more difficult the other way around (B'ville to Mt Dare)?