dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha Forum

Yamaha Forum For the True Blues.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro

YZ250 Bottom end rebuild

So I'm looking to get my 01 YZ250 bottom end rebuilt, locally to Brisbane I've contacted BDS at Capalaba and Ron from RMF Racing as both have come highly recommended.

The question is, what conrod kit to use - Wossner run for about $200, Pro X for $150 and Apex imports has an unknown brand listing for $95 ( I'm using a meteor piston kit and bottom end main bearing kit that uses Koyo bearings from them already ).

I've got about 3-4 bottom end rebuilds to get through on different bikes this year so looking to get the best bang for buck between parts and using recommended local rebuilders.

Also I was looking into crank pin welding, is this the same as the "closed crank"? Ron from RMF doesn't think the crank pin welding was worthwhile but it seems Nutty had a good result on his 300 in keeping vibrations down?!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter114 View Post
...Also I was looking into crank pin welding, is this the same as the "closed crank"?...
'Closed crank' is generally termed to be welding the drive-side (RHS on the YZ) bell to the crank pin and then stitching the LHS bell to the pin after balancing. It produces a brilliant result but the crank can't be economically re-built again. Best done with an all-new crank.

I'd be buying a pre-built US crank assembly, then re-balance and close. Keep the OEM crank aside...
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Shoots I Don't know Who the heck you've been talking too,but
they've given you the good oil !

Either, Or workshop I would have no hesitation in choosing. And to show Im not biased you could add Serco Engineering Deshon St Woolloongabba. Note the Gabba !

As for 'bang for your buck' this and my suspension are not the items in my dirt bike world I'd choose to go with generic or cheap n cheerful components.

Either way the Erstwhile DBW contributor you mentioned in your post will be along at some time and I'd have no hesitation in following any info he provides.
(* well bu..er me he beat me too it!... they said he's getting quicker.)
PS ...if you choose Ron at RMF say a big g'day from DBW members!
For those not aware Ron is the father of the late great Andrew McFarlane. RIP.
And he built the fire breathing 500 2T Kwaka (500 2t shoehorned into a 250 Frame) that Andrew used successfully at Australia's only ever MXGP's in 2000 and 2001.
Also contributed to M.Byrne's bike also IIRC.

PSS No one will ever convince me that M/cycle politics didn't play a huge part in the outcome of the 2006 MX2 GP title.
Andrew lost the points lead very late in that years series.
Only to run a very close 2nd to a then young rookie rider from Italy.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
'Closed crank' is generally termed to be welding the drive-side (RHS on the YZ) bell to the crank pin and then stitching the LHS bell to the pin after balancing. It produces a brilliant result but the crank can't be economically re-built again. Best done with an all-new crank.

I'd be buying a pre-built US crank assembly, then re-balance and close. Keep the OEM crank aside...
Awesome, that clears things up !

So you'd import a crank from the US ( any particular preference of brand ? ) and then have it aligned and welded locally. Who would do those works ? Ron?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxfox View Post
Shoots I Don't know Who the heck you've been talking too,but
they've given you the good oil !

Either, Or workshop I would have no hesitation in choosing. And to show Im not biased you could add Serco Engineering Deshon St Woolloongabba. Note the Gabba !

As for 'bang for your buck' this and my suspension are not the items in my dirt bike world I'd choose to go with generic or cheap n cheerful components.

Either way the Erstwhile DBW contributor you mentioned in your post will be along at some time and I'd have no hesitation in following any info he provides.
(* well bu..er me he beat me too it!... they said he's getting quicker.)
PS ...if you choose Ron at RMF say a big g'day from DBW members!
For those not aware Ron is the father of the late great Andrew McFarlane. RIP.
And he built the fire breathing 500 2T Kwaka (500 2t shoehorned into a 250 Frame) that Andrew used successfully at Australia's only ever MXGP's in 2000 and 2001.
Also contributed to M.Byrne's bike also IIRC.

PSS No one will ever convince me that M/cycle politics didn't play a huge part in the outcome of the 2006 MX2 GP title.
Andrew lost the points lead very late in that years series.
Only to run a very close 2nd to a then young rookie rider from Italy.
Thanks mate,

Haha, yep the power of garage and trackside talk, eh?

Yeah heard mixed results about Serco, I work in the Gabba nearly everyday so it would have been handy but will give them a miss over more reliable works.

Know what you mean, SKF fork seals rather than the cheapies so you don't have to keep replacing them. Wouldn't say I'd cheap out but like good value for money, the meteor Pistons they sell at Apex are also used by Two stroke performance. So curious to know if the crank kits they sell are alright too. Bit hard to tell when they don't provide any other info though :/ It'd be good to know if they are alright as I'd able to buy 2 and get the third for free at their price, which all ads up when you got a few rebuilds !

If nothing positive comes from it, I'll just go a pro-x if I rebuild.

Good to know Rons connected to the forums, always prefer to choose good local work and DBW supporters !
Old 2 Weeks Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter114 View Post
Awesome, that clears things up !

So you'd import a crank from the US ( any particular preference of brand ? ) and then have it aligned and welded locally. Who would do those works ? Ron?
Yep, bring one in and get Ron to just tack the drive side. Re-balance and go. Can still be rebuilt by removing the LHS bell.

I've only used OEM parts for 15+ years. A pm to 'Dalboy' wouldn't go astray, he uses a small shop in the US that (exchange) ships entire cranks with good results.