dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 24-07-2017
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspowersports View Post
do you ever twist it and it flairs up ?

by what ive read you cant have meniscus damage and no acl as you'll end up doing more damage.

what was everyones rehab like for acl and meniscus damage?
I ruptured my ACL and tore the meniscus. Had surgery 6 weeks later. My physio initially consisted of heel slides, straight leg raises, calf raises and gravity hangs (put foot up and let your knee hang). It's crucial that you work on straightening your leg. Finish with hamstring and calf stretches.

I progressed to adding wall squats and split squats as well. Got on the stationary bike to work on getting range of motion back. Progressed to the gym to build strength where I did single and double leg press, Smith machine squats, calf raises and single leg hamstring curls. Did Bosu ball to assist with balance.

After a few months physio started me on an ACL PEP routine which involves some running and jumping exercises. Google this and you will find plenty of videos on it.

I returned to surfing after about 4 months or so. At 6 months Surgeon Said I was right but if I was considering playing football, soccer etc I should wait 12 months.
Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspowersports View Post
well MRI confirmed full acl tear and medial meniscus tear.

starting to look at surgery. hopefully the accident side of private health covers it
I had an MRI the other day and like yourself, have acute full tear to ACL and complex tear to medial and lateral meniscus amongst other things. I've been tossing up whether to go down the path of surgery or just work on rehab but the more I read into it, the more it looks like surgery with a long layoff from the bike might be the best option... Bought my beta300 the other week and now I can't ride it for who knows how long... Not happy
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

I never ended up getting the surgery as both my physio and surgeon suggested I would struggle with the rehab due to other pre existing issues.

Been back in the gym and doing lots of cycling. Knee feels great and back to full range and strength. Been back riding for a few weeks but did get a custom cti brace for it.

KTM 300 EXC 2017
KTM 250 EXCF 2014
Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertieg View Post
I ruptured my ACL and tore the meniscus. Had surgery 6 weeks later. My physio initially consisted of heel slides, straight leg raises, calf raises and gravity hangs (put foot up and let your knee hang). It's crucial that you work on straightening your leg. Finish with hamstring and calf stretches.

I progressed to adding wall squats and split squats as well. Got on the stationary bike to work on getting range of motion back. Progressed to the gym to build strength where I did single and double leg press, Smith machine squats, calf raises and single leg hamstring curls. Did Bosu ball to assist with balance.

After a few months physio started me on an ACL PEP routine which involves some running and jumping exercises. Google this and you will find plenty of videos on it.

I returned to surfing after about 4 months or so. At 6 months Surgeon Said I was right but if I was considering playing football, soccer etc I should wait 12 months
I assume surgery was for both meniscus and ACL?! Looking at just going down the path of having surgery for meniscus and not worry about ACL for the fact I can't afford to be off work for an extended period of time (I'm told rehab time for meniscus is a lot shorter than ACL).

Only problem I have is I enjoy doing harder enduro type riding so popping logs, pivot turning the bike up rocky creek beds and off camber hills may be asking a little much of the knee?! I will be looking at having CTi braces fitted if TAC can come to the party and cover the costs.
Old 1 Day Ago
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grechy View Post
I assume surgery was for both meniscus and ACL?! Looking at just going down the path of having surgery for meniscus and not worry about ACL for the fact I can't afford to be off work for an extended period of time (I'm told rehab time for meniscus is a lot shorter than ACL).

Only problem I have is I enjoy doing harder enduro type riding so popping logs, pivot turning the bike up rocky creek beds and off camber hills may be asking a little much of the knee?! I will be looking at having CTi braces fitted if TAC can come to the party and cover the costs.
Yeah in my case it was for both. No option really in my case as I was having the ACL done so just tidied up the meniscus while in there. Surgeon told me that once you've done a meniscus youíre pretty much guaranteed to get arthritis at some point. I had the option of trying to rehab mine but because Iím do active the surgeon recommended surgery. I didnít want to get 6 months down the track and finding it no good then having to go the surgery path. I can understand youíre work situation, I was lucky as I have a shit load of sick pay.