dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw User Reviews

dbw User Reviews dbw users share with the rest of us their own views on stuff they have tried. Proudly Sponsored by: Beta Australia

Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Dweller

Precision Shims Australia

Recently ordered and used some valve shims from Chris at Precision shims.
http://www.precisionshims.com.au/

I've used KTM shims from the dealer before which were impractical in their sizing and overpriced and my go to after that was the local Harley Davidson dealer as they were cheaper and available in half increments although I found the accuracy to be questionable at times plus the staff were difficult to deal with at times as well.

Decided to try an online source, found the website and was impressed by the ease of use, size availability and also the option to have a custom shim kit made up.
Communication was great, I got a call the very next day (i ordered the quote late Tuesday night) and then an email for payment immediately afterwards as I missed the original call. Nice and straightforward.
Shims were a tad expensive at $7.70 each but I don't mind at all supporting an Aussie business with such great communication and service.
After paying on Wednesday I wasn't expecting them to arrive via post till the following week, but Chris took it upon himself to post them express so I had them by the weekend which was the icing on the cake for me.

I've never used any other online and/or Aussie businesses for shims before so can't comment on how he stacks (little shim humour for you there) up against any other similar companies but I was very happy with it and will happily continue to use Precision Shims Australia.
R.A.G Endurance Racing.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Agreed re supporting au business and sounds like a good source for small orders required at short notice, but $7.70 a shim is a bit pricey if you want to have a batch to work with at will.

I stocked up circe 2006 at a site called gp-racing.com...........seems they have moved on now.

I did another order from mx-tech.com to top up some supplies a while ago. Shipping is a killer for one shim, bit if you want packs of 10 across multiple sizes it seems like a better place for bulk purchase....which you really need if you want to start playing around.

The Rock Garden
The Jetting Test
The Sand Whoops
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Plus 1 for precision shims. Been using them for 10yrs always had good service and the exact shim size i needed.
Old 1 Week Ago
The "One" and only

Here's a business opening...

Buy a load of Hot Cams shims at under 95 cents landed here and flog them off for say... $3:50

You can undercut this mob by more than 50% and still make 300+% profit...

p.s. In 30 years of building performance engines I've NEVER had a shim out of spec...every one of them has been exactly spot-on what my micrometer reads.
Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Dweller

Lovely business idea. Only a hop skip and a jump from launching your favourite bike into space mate
R.A.G Endurance Racing.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

i bought shims from there a few years ago. Rang him up and had them in the mail the next day. Easy. I don't remember what they cost but I only order what I need so it doesn't matter too much. I have since bought a yamaha so I probably won't need any more.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Here's a business opening...

Buy a load of Hot Cams shims at under 95 cents landed here and flog them off for say... $3:50

You can undercut this mob by more than 50% and still make 300+% profit...

p.s. In 30 years of building performance engines I've NEVER had a shim out of spec...every one of them has been exactly spot-on what my micrometer reads.
Every ebay store right here.

Import said shite from China in bulk, and sell at huge mark up under the convenience of it being in the country! Dives me nuts that you see the same dodgy shit listed a million times anywhere from 5c to $50.
Old 1 Week Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Every ebay store right here.

Import said shite from China in bulk, and sell at huge mark up under the convenience of it being in the country! Dives me nuts that you see the same dodgy shit listed a million times anywhere from 5c to $50.
He he. There was some squib selling "high performance coolant" on Ebay to suit Harley Davidson tourers...

I bet he sells some...
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

What I've always liked is getting the exact size shim i need & it's usually overnight or a day.
Old 1 Week Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm wrench View Post
What I've always liked is getting the exact size shim i need & it's usually overnight or a day.
Which is why there's a market to charge 700+% over the shim kit price Chris.

All credit to Precision, they saw a market and hit it.

I've never used production shims on race engines, after running-in I've NC ground them to spec. Not much point running precision ground cams if you're going to approximate lift, timing and duration with production shims. Race shops like Pro-Cicuit and Joe Gibbs wouldn't dream of using production shims.

For trail riders who rarely shim valves these one-off shim suppliers are awesome.