dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 04-04-2006
dbw Pro

Victorian Planning ban

Not wanting to upset anyone as a newbie here but who has got the message about the rural zones in Vic and the prohibition of a motor racing track (also includes almost anything you can think of as a motor sport. (Like enduro mototrials, etc, etc) on most privately owned rural zoned land????

I will be taking a couple motor sport VIP's (well just someone from MV and CAMS) with me to a meeting with the head planning paper shuffler early next month and wonder if the word had got around about the new planning laws??? It has just come in and I have tried to get the word out to as many clubs as I could

BJScorps

Who needs knobbies....................I own a SCORPA

By the way... I love my bikes and always have. But we need to get smarter if we want to have somewhere to ride them

www.mototrials.com.au
Old 04-04-2006
dbw Pro Legend

Tell us more........
Where can one see these planning laws ?
Junior Berger
Jumping Jack Flash
KTM 450
Latrobe Valley
Vic
Member AMTRA and TAHCA
Old 04-04-2006
dbw Pro Champion

You mean it also extends to your own private one? Or you just can't charg people to ride at it?
Club Mud #146'
'89 Hilux, All the fruit
'01 KTM 300 Exc - Sold
1982 Honda XL250R
Old 04-04-2006
dbw Pro

This might be the one with a couple of typo's but it may help you get the gist of things.

It takes some wading through but the meat of it in on the www.dse.vic.gov.au website under the Victorian Planning Provisions (VPP's) and Rural Zones Review.

The Hon. Rob HULLS, MP
Minister for Planning
Level 1, 55 St Andrews Place
East Melbourne Vic 3002

23 February 2006

Dear Mr Hulls

Rural Zones Review
Code of Practice - Non-Permenant Off-Road Motorcycle Competition

As a farmer, former VFF general councillor and VFF land management committee member and husband of a member of the Rural Zones Review Committee (who actually developed the recommendations upon which the new zones have been based), I strongly support the government’s endeavours to retain agricultural land for the future and to minimise land use conflicts.

However, the inclusion of a Motor Racing Track as a prohibited Section 3 use in the new rural zones raises serious issues for the future of motor sport for both recreation and competition with potential detriment to urban and rural communities. It is noted the issue of Motor Racing Tracks or Motor sport was not raised with review committee. Also, the definition of motor racing track goes far beyond a Calder Park or Phillip Island, and extends to any motor sport that is considered competitive, even once a year events not even speed related (eg motorcycle trials with results based on balance and accuracy) will be prohibited in the Farming and Rural Conservation Zones. (please view enclosed DVD)

It is accepted that it may be appropriate to require rezoning in these zones for permanent motor sports facilities with significant infrastructure catering for large numbers of spectators (i.e. a Motor Racing Track). In many cases these facilities are already in existance and zoned accordingly or will retain non-conforming use rights.

The impact of the Section 3 prohibition extends to far less prominent activities that require no such development. Motorcycle events like Enduro and Mototrials and off-road rally events are a just few conducted on a one-off or irregular or transient basis. Sometimes these events generate revenue for the land owner but usually properties are provided out of good will and a desire to see people enjoy the particular sport. In most cases local community groups like the CFA , Lions, Rotary or the local schools run food stalls and catering to raise money for their local communities at these events.

There are numerous forms of motor sport that can and do co-exist with agricultural uses that meet the needs for recreation for many rural people (particularly youth) as well as urban dwellers. The demand for recreational and sporting activities is constantly growing, at the same time many areas of public land are becoming less available to motor sport and motorised recreation. No one wants kids on unregistered motorbikes riding in urban streets, quarries and public reserves! Where do people go if no provision is made for recreational needs?

Provided a use can be structured to ensure compatability with agriculture and does not harm the amenity or agricultural and environmental integrity of the land it should be permitted in the new rural zones. I am currently raising this issue with Motorcycling Australia, Motorcycling Victoria, Motorcycle retailers and sporting groups across the state seeking support for the development of a Code of Practice for non-permenant off-road motorcycle competition. The Code could then be applied as the “yard stick” to ensure these type of event can be catered for an ensure compatability with the zone. Like other Codes incorporated in the VPP’s, if met the use could then be included as a Section 1 in all rural zones. This is a reasonable and logical way forward to meet the needs of a far greater percentage of the community than that currently being applied.

Accordingly, I request a meeting with you and other relevant stakeholders future with the view of mapping out a future.

So there you have it.

BJScorps

By the way... I love my bikes and always have. But we need to get smarter if we want to have somewhere to ride them

www.mototrials.com.au
Old 04-04-2006
dbw Factory Pro

Posted on this topic a while ago.
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net.au/foru...highlight=zone

Nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in the duct tape.
Quote:
"I was doing people a service really, by shooting them. There's kangaroos all over the place... like tourists"..
- Mick Taylor- Wolf Creek Legend
Old 04-04-2006
dbw Factory Pro

Crock of shit!!!

The one thing these bureaucratic asswipes have not considered with this is, there is lots of useless 'Rural zoned' land!

The fact is, that due to other 'red tape' some properties are virtually useless from any agricultural farming. The banning of certain chemicals (i.e Dieldrin) back in the 70's led to the DPI & DSE black banning properties from any form of grazing. This means, because most farms have had soil tests taken (you'd be a fool not too when buying!) these chemicals will be obvious & the DPI will have records of it.

The legal limit for Dieldrin in livestock is .002 grams per kg of body fat, if a beast is sold & at slaughter higher levels are found it can be up to $25000 fine per head. I know this sounds kinda irrelevent but with these sort of penalties in force that certainly eliminates any form of livestock farming.

My private moto track is the only other option, i pay my way, they can just sod off!!!

wonder if shooting trespassers is against the law, cos if they try & tell me not to ride, they'll qucikly become trespassers....
Old 04-04-2006
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRPilot
WRPilot

Glad to see someone ran it when I first found out WTF was going on. I read the posts and most people seem to have figured out I'm not full of BS.

Like I said I have started the ball rolling and unless some one has a better idea than what I have been proposing for a number of years FFS let me know. At last have the ear or of the SCB's for bikes and cars but only when I have done the all work to get to say something to someone that matters.....

Husky Guy....

Sounds like you too have had your fair share of DSE/NRE/DCNR/DCFL (DCNR = dept of constant name revision) shoveling it your way...... lets shovel some back!

I'll keep you posted and anyone that wants to chip in......I'm not hard to find!

BJScorps

www.mototrials.com.au
Old 05-04-2006
dbw Pro Legend

The good ole Bracks government at work for ya again...........
Old 05-04-2006
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogs
The good ole Bracks government at work for ya again...........
More often than not these ideas are progressed by successive bureaucracies with the level of priority set by whichever minister is in the position at the time and based on their constituents or more often their own personal wishes.