dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw User Reviews

dbw User Reviews dbw users share with the rest of us their own views on stuff they have tried. Proudly Sponsored by: Beta Australia

Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Need a spare car key in Sydney? Look no further.

Just bought an Abarth 595. Fiat wanted 575 ( or 875 for a flip key...) plus 100-160 for coding and 2-5 weeks wait....
Started googling and happened across Autokeyspares. It is a solo operation by a young locksmith named Joseph Wainwright.
What an absolute pleasure to deal with.
$200 for a new key, in 15 minutes. I realise 200 is a lot for a transponder key BUT it is way less than the dealers. If he cant fix it, I doubt anyone can.
Legend.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Columbian drug dealers are jealous of how much car manufacturers make out of car keys.

I've got a few Toyota Priuses that are going to be put to work soon, but I've only got one key for each car.

Toyota's price of $312 just for one key fob is a tad high. Then there's getting the key blade cut ($40ish). Programming costs a bunch extra, but I can do that myself.

Stuff that. Off to AliExpress.com where I can get key fob casing, the correct transponder chip (4D67 for Toyota) and the key blade cut... for around $A13 each.

That won't have the circuit board for central locking (hence getting the key blade cut) but will at least give me a spare key for each car, which will open the driver's door and start the car.

It would be safe to assume that Toyota's $312 key fob is costing well under $20 to produce.

Oh, and for a BF Falcon (that uses a Ford Focus key, but with a 4D60 chip instead of the Focus' 4D63) I used to buy them 10 at a time for $A5 each ($150 from Ford).

If anyone's got a kid who can't make their mind up on a job, tell him/her to consider a locksmith apprenticeship.

TL;DR: Figure out which transponder chip is in the key and you can usually find something bloody cheap overseas.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KEYY...21024c4d6Als5l
Various unfinished projects

One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.