dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw User Reviews

dbw User Reviews dbw users share with the rest of us their own views on stuff they have tried. Proudly Sponsored by: Beta Australia

Old 14-04-2020
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibnut View Post

The fuel consumption ainít great, tbh - 1.38L per 10km. Almost 40% more than my Ď18. I really like the stock jetting - N2ZW #2, 38p/165m, a/s 1.25 - & Jody set the float at pd so not sure what else I can do given I believe N2** & NE** needles have the same diameter straight section? That part of the power curve where is where I ride the most.
Hey Gibnut, is the above a typo? I've read a lot of your posts/reviews and you're far more knowledgable than me on a lot of bike items. But did you mean to say same straight section or did you mean first taper?

Straight section being the last letter, and in your case 'W' (which confusingly some manufacturers replace with 'I') being one step richer than 'J' and one leaner than 'H'. Yes N2ZW and say NEDW would be the same straight diameter, but the length of that straight diameter and transition to taper are different and play probably a bigger role in how it feels. Hopefully Riles or Jakobi will chip in here as they know a lot more on comparable Keihin profiles to Suzuki but the below is where your N2Z* needle sits in that particular set of needles (taken from a prior Jakobi post) and explans the position #2 as stock (which would be the same as N3Ex in clip #3)

In 1/2 clip variations from leanest to richest they are...
N89x=leanest
N3Cx
N3Ex
N8Rx
N2Zx
N4Dx
N3Vx
N4Ax
N6Mx=richest

If you want to try the Suzuki equivalent (and again hopefully Riles or Jakobi chime in) but it seems a lot of people comare the N3C* with NEC* and N3E* with NED*. Long winded way of saying try NEDW #3 and you may find similar torque and even smoother off the bottom and possibly better fuel consumption.
Old 14-04-2020
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_Summers View Post
Hey Gibnut, is the above a typo? I've read a lot of your posts/reviews and you're far more knowledgable than me on a lot of bike items. But did you mean to say same straight section or did you mean first taper?

Straight section being the last letter, and in your case 'W' (which confusingly some manufacturers replace with 'I') being one step richer than 'J' and one leaner than 'H'. Yes N2ZW and say NEDW would be the same straight diameter, but the length of that straight diameter and transition to taper are different and play probably a bigger role in how it feels. Hopefully Riles or Jakobi will chip in here as they know a lot more on comparable Keihin profiles to Suzuki but the below is where your N2Z* needle sits in that particular set of needles (taken from a prior Jakobi post) and explans the position #2 as stock (which would be the same as N3Ex in clip #3)

In 1/2 clip variations from leanest to richest they are...
N89x=leanest
N3Cx
N3Ex
N8Rx
N2Zx
N4Dx
N3Vx
N4Ax
N6Mx=richest

If you want to try the Suzuki equivalent (and again hopefully Riles or Jakobi chime in) but it seems a lot of people comare the N3C* with NEC* and N3E* with NED*. Long winded way of saying try NEDW #3 and you may find similar torque and even smoother off the bottom and possibly better fuel consumption.
Thanks, Brett - you certainly know more about the Ďdark artsí than me! I used NEDW on my Ď18 and my Ď14 RRís. It was my favourite needle. But, there is something so controllable and damn smooth with the current set up that is very easy to ride.

Iím really not sure about tweaking* this & that in the PWK yet just to save a couple of litres of 95RON per ride. I (did!) have an occasional opportunity to go to the mountains to do longer rides, but when those days return, I could just carry 2 litres. I rarely do more than 45km currently - attempting more than that at my area would floor this 51yr old!

*I also made a bet that if I alter the performance aspect of my bike prior to Wildwood, I have to complete the race wearing one of my daughterís shirts. Sheís 8. Ha-ha! No pressure...

Seriously, itís all good mate - itís just that is pretty thirsty for a bike that doesnít see WOT hardly ever.

Come down for a ride when all this crap is sorted..
Old 16-04-2020
dbw Pro

Seriously, itís all good mate - itís just that is pretty thirsty for a bike that doesnít see WOT hardly ever.

Come down for a ride when all this crap is sorted..[/QUOTE]

Very happy to lock in that ride as soon as we can Gib, been getting a few bursts in at Mount Rouge but like everyone else, can't wait to get back into some longer days.

Very glad you're loving the new Beta!
Old 16-04-2020
dbw Pro Champion

try running the bike and then leaning it over. See how far you have to go before fuel spills out the overflow, Float could still be slightly high.

2016 Beta 300 RR, 2013 KTM500 EXC, !
Plus all this vintage stuff!!!!!!
72 Husky 400, 73 Husky 250, 77 RM 370x2 77 Honda CR 125, 79 Honda CR125, XR 75, 79 XL500 Honda hybird, 86 Suzuki TSX 250, 82 Honda CR480,83 CR250, 83 YZ 490, 77 Honda 750/4, 77 Maico 400 84 KDX 200/ 250, 90 KDX200