dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Suspension

Suspension Proudly Supported by: www.shocktreatment.com.au

Old 10-05-2007
dbw Pro

Triple clamp or not?

Terry,
I had my suspension done by you about 2 months ago on my DrZ400E. Can't tell you how pleased I am with the set up. Like riding a new bike. I am wanting to put on a set a fat bars and am wondering if I would be better off buying an after market triple clamp or just buy the adaptors. Is one way better than the other, in terms of effecting suspension set up. Currently I have 1 inch bar risers with Tag x5 bars on it. I have finally worked out that money spent on suspension is the only way to go.
Old 10-05-2007
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

Technically there won't be any effect on handling unless you get an upper and a lower in a different offset... only difference will be the mounting positions of where you place your bars (which can effect handling). If you feel the need to open things up there are other top clamps that can move your bars forward etc like a Pro Taper top clamp etc. But this is really a personal preference/comfort thing.

Quite often moving your bars forward via the clamps can result in your sitting further forward which improves handling as you have more weight over the front wheel but can work against you in terms of feedback and leverage over your steering. Therefore best to get the clamps with the most adjustability so you can find your happy medium.
Old 13-05-2007
dbw's Suspension Guru

Andrew covered most of the valid points in his post. I honestly believe ergos to be the most overlooked performance mod in motorcycling. Its amazing how big a difference being comfortable on a bike can be. I would certainly recommend the clamps.

Shock Treatment -
Performance Enhancements for Motorcycle Suspension.
Ph: (02) 47739115