dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 18-05-2018
dbw Pro Champion

quote = PaulG

Found a 2017 KTM 350XC-F with only 4.9hrs on it: 80km per ride ~5 hours per ride ~400km, seems about right.

The owner is a complete novice: Maybe He is: Maybe He isn't: The real question is:- Does it matter either way?

The bike is bone stock including the oil: It's first oil change is certainly late at 400km but not excessively so imo.

The price is good but im worried about the potential ramifications of buying a bike that has had no break in procedure and no oil change: Welcome to the real World.

What do you guys think? Probably ok or probably a future hand grenade? From what You've said: I wouldn't deem it to be a "hand grenade". Usual prudence is due.

Edit: Stalling a bike 500+ times during those 5 hours likely wouldn't do it very much good: I'd wanta witness how that Yank rides & indeed if He actually can & does.
Edit2: If He's never even touched or looked at the oil: Check the oil level: If that's excessively low;- then back away without any regret: It truly is a buyer's World.
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 18-05-2018
dbw Pro Champion

good deals are possible , it can happen to regular people like you .
Old 18-05-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Dont think I would buy a bike thats done 5 hours on KTMs "break in" oil.....

Heaps of riding +
to Finke & back 2013....
to Finke & back 2014
should I change the piston @ 140 hrs prior
to Finke & back 2015 ??
04 300 EXC- 38,100 kms/812 hours of mallee single track fun.Bargain-
"just like Grandpa's axe..."

No fuel pump.No fuel filter. No injector. No fuel mapping.No oil filter.No shims or adjuster screws. Just ride it
Old 19-05-2018
dbw Pro Legend

At 5 hours is really only 1 ride or 2 depends on what sort of ride your doing. Plus at 5 hours is when the book says to change the break in oil, and by the way thatís when iv done that to all my bikes and havenít had a problem.

Things Iíd be worried about is if he has drowned the bike dusted it or disconnect the hour meter, there are a lot of shifty people out there that do this ,but it will come back to bite them in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19-05-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy501 View Post
At 5 hours is really only 1 ride or 2 depends on what sort of ride your doing. Plus at 5 hours is when the book says to change the break in oil, and by the way thatís when iv done that to all my bikes and havenít had a problem.

Things Iíd be worried about is if he has drowned the bike dusted it or disconnect the hour meter, there are a lot of shifty people out there that do this ,but it will come back to bite them in the future.

When I bought my new 500 the dealer told me to get break in oil out after 1 hour...I couldnt find anything in the manual about this so I followed his advice.
Where abouts in the KTM manual does it mention 5 hours for the break in oil?

Heaps of riding +
to Finke & back 2013....
to Finke & back 2014
to Finke & back 2015 ??

No fuel pump.No fuel filter. No injector. No fuel mapping.No oil filter.No shims or adjuster screws. Just ride it
Old 19-05-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas'e View Post
When I bought my new 500 the dealer told me to get break in oil out after 1 hour...I couldnt find anything in the manual about this so I followed his advice.

Where abouts in the KTM manual does it mention 5 hours for the break in oil?

Hey mate Iím sorry for giving wrong information you are right the manual says to change the oil and filter after the first 1 hour and then every 15 hours after that.
Iv always done first 5 hours and another 5 hours and after the first 10 hours it was changed at every 10 hours.

Looking at the manual now it says ( clean the air filter and Air box ) at every 15 hours. I definitely do that after every ride.
And the fuel screen 1 hour and every 15 hours , that was a regular service for me aswell, I know guys that have never changed thereís 160 hours later (mad)
It doesnít take much to block a injector.

Check the valve clearance once after 1 operating hour and every 30 operating hours/after every race.

Old 19-05-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy501 View Post
Hey mate Iím sorry for giving wrong information you are right the manual says to change the oil and filter after the first 1 hour and then every 15 hours after that.
Iv always done first 5 hours and another 5 hours and after the first 10 hours it was changed at every 10 hours.

Looking at the manual now it says ( clean the air filter and Air box ) at every 15 hours. I definitely do that after every ride.
And the fuel screen 1 hour and every 15 hours , that was a regular service for me aswell, I know guys that have never changed thereís 160 hours later (mad)
It doesnít take much to block a injector.

Check the valve clearance once after 1 operating hour and every 30 operating hours/after every race.

Wasnt having a go, thought you might have found some info I couldnt find.
KTM arent real good with break in info, nothing in the manual about break in oil, so much conflicting info out there regarding using mineral oil vs synthetic for first few changes.
I followed KTMs service info, straight onto full synth after the 1 hour change.

Heaps of riding +
to Finke & back 2013....
to Finke & back 2014
to Finke & back 2015 ??

Old 19-05-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Did you buy it ?
Old 19-05-2018
Hunting panthers in California

I bought the bike, $7200. It so brand new and shiny, I can hardly believe I got a practically new bike for this price. Nice guy but way more money than sense
Thanks for everyone's input, it helped me make my decision
Old 19-05-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas'e View Post
Wasnt having a go, thought you might have found some info I couldnt find.

KTM arent real good with break in info, nothing in the manual about break in oil, so much conflicting info out there regarding using mineral oil vs synthetic for first few changes.

I followed KTMs service info, straight onto full synth after the 1 hour change.

Not at all mate, Iím glad you mentioned this , il be dropping the oil now a lot earlier.