dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Hero

At what age

do physical jobs hobbies etc become hard ?

Dad was in his 70s when he said he felt it, example he gave was grabbing a 20 litre drum of oil became an effort.

I hit 50 and felt great, 51 still good, 52 aches and pains that hang around for months, 53 compressed nerve in spine adding to the aches and pains.
I never felt like I'd lost strength until now, not that I've tested it, doing things like bench pressing a powerglide into position under a car on jack stands would be a comparitive test, but I don't need a torque converter knocking all my teeth out if I can't do it anymore.

Cuts and scrapes still heal ultra fast, but aches and pains seem to go on forever.

Cut the booze consumption to less than medical guidelines in an effort to help fight inflammation.

I'd get another bike but I don't think it'd bring out the 15 year old in me like it did a dozen years ago after a 24 year break.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
DBW Clubman

I'm 51 and in the last year or so I've noticed my grip strength has dropped (was never great anyway due to broken wrists), my fingers get sore and stiff in the cold, but most frustrating of all, is the skin on my forearms has becom like paper. It seems the slightest abrasions or scratches cause bleeding that I don't even feel or notice until I see blood flowing. Wipe it off and there's barely a mark but it still wants to bloody leak!!

Like you I also suspect a general loss of strength but haven't scientifically tested it.

Oh, and the general aches and loss of flexibility.......really annoying.

Still riding though, just not as aggressively or as hard as I used too. I've found riding with friends that also have a relaxed attitude the most rewarding.

Last edited by Oldscool; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:17 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

I've been feeling it the past coupla years. I'm only 36 but years of footy injuries(knee, achilles, elbows) are catching me up rapidly. I'm stubborn AF though so just pretend I'm ok(probably my downfall during footy years). Don't bounce as well as 10 years ago. I think a lot of it has to do with not playing footy anymore & that lack of fitness/stretching/flexibilty. Key is stretching, light weights, aerobic & core exercises. Winter sucks for feeling sore too.

A long way off you Tom but it's sucking already!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Removed wheat and dairy from my diet and over a year later Iíve really noticed a difference in aches and pains. Fingers had swollen joints and would lock up after a few hours. Now I just get tired muscles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 Weeks Ago
The "One" and only

Genetic mutation. Happens to all of us, some at faster rates than others. A mate of mine, Dr George W Lovett III (now that's a name!) is a wizard on GM. Mainly analysing the ageing of skin, he's over 70 and looks mid 40s.

He explained ageing to me in great detail over a few Martinis (shaken, not stirred). Your skin, being the bodies' largest and most regenerative organ, is an accurate guide to your ageing rate.

It's fascinating. We're all just machines whose longevity is determined by four things. Genetics, Physical workload, diet and environment.

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

My mother told me awhile ago that it is all the middle aged men that get back into dirt bikes that end up hurting themselves! I said donít worry Mum. That wonít happen to me! She knew what I meant. ďYour not going to get out of dirt bikes in the first place!Ē

I reckon itís all down hill from mid to late 30s. How fast the slide depends on diet/ genetics and a certain amount of luck.

Iím a tradie on the tools. Most of the guys I work with are around 50. There is no way that many of would be able to work on the tools until 67. Most would struggle to be fit enough at 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Hero

It isn't middle age spread slowing me down either, I don't feel particularly light on my feet, hadn't weighed myself for about a year, expected to be 73 to 75 kg.
Got on the scales 3 mornings in a row, 70.5 kg, hope I haven't lost 3kg of muscle.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

I'm 44 and still work just hard when on the tools and its a good feeling towelling up blokes on site but.....jeepers I get tired and head off to bed early during the week.

Dealing with customers is proving to be a real challenge over the past couple of years, it's either people are getting way too demanding or I'm getting crankier and a shorter fuse....or maybe a combination of both
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Addict

I started racing VMX just before my 30th birthday, and was well aware that my body was slower and much less resilient than it was ten years earlier.
I remember lots of blokes in their 40s talking about how it gets harder as you get older, and that being 30 was a big advantage for me.

I didn't believe them... but now that I am in my 40s, I understand what they were talking about.
And, of course, those same blokes are in their 50s and are telling me how much harder it gets...

But, plenty of those blokes are and still as fast as ever, and seem to bounce pretty well.

Personally, I have lost some intensity but seem to have finally worked out how to hold a decent pace without burning myself out too quickly.

And I am enjoying my riding as much as ever, so that's nice too.

All of this leads me to conclude that you should just keep doing what you enjoy.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Addict

you need to keep physically fit and active to prolong an active way of life/work. simple really - use it or lose it.

7 years ago i had my son and bought my first brand new bike (riding was getting to be a serious hobby). i was 30 and did nothing physical apart from riding moto and surfing a couple times a week. i had gone from a professional athlete in my early 20's @ 70kg to a (relatively) lazy 30 year old at 88kg with minimal fitness and eating garbage and treating my body like a garbage disposal. when i couldn't do up my pants one day, i decided i was going to get fit. 4 years later im 37, weigh 72kg, resting heart rate of mid to low 40's, running consistent 5 minute kms over 8-10km runs, riding the mtb 20km 5 times a week. surfing back at a high level (just got 5th at australian titles) and riding extreme enduro most of the time without even breaking a sweat.
good nutrition and training as much as possible (calisthenics and cardio) i feel better now than 15 years ago. i just get a sore hip sometimes from over use and i wear a patella support as ive developed tendonitis from running too much without proper stretching.

keep as fit as you can, keep as flexible as possible, dont fuel your body with garbage and i think you can go on for many years to come (hopefully)...