dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Honda Forum

Honda Forum For the Red Riders

Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

2011 CRF250X to buy - stay clear or consider?

A mate of mine is considering a 2011 CRF250X. He has an affinity to Honda. Around 80-90 hours which is ok for the age but apart from the usual stuff most of us cranky old blokes already know about buying second hand ... is there anything to look out for that will bring my mate to tears and empty his bank account?
Will it possibly be a case of way too risky for the average buyer, offer the buyer half and if they don't sell - save the $ for something newer? (WR250F)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel View Post
A mate of mine is considering a 2011 CRF250X. He has an affinity to Honda. Around 80-90 hours which is ok for the age but apart from the usual stuff most of us cranky old blokes already know about buying second hand ... is there anything to look out for that will bring my mate to tears and empty his bank account?
Will it possibly be a case of way too risky for the average buyer, offer the buyer half and if they don't sell - save the $ for something newer? (WR250F)
I think the valve issues were well sorted by then. I've never owned a 250x but have had 2 07 450x's, the second one I still have. I probably paid too much for the 2nd one, but I'm still happy with it. If he's a Honda rider I'd advise him to stay away from the WR's from a handling perspective. Having had 5 Honda's (1 xl 250, 2 XR400's 2 CRF450X's) and 1 WR450F, I never really gelled with the WR's handling even after spending a bit on suspension work. Each time I get back on a Honda it's like I never left.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't owned a Honda but I rode a 2004 ( i think) CRF250X, one of the first in the country at the time.
They handle excellent out of the box I agree.
Valves were an issue but as you say only in the early years.
TB frank, the buddy of mine won't be ready for a type of bike like this or the maintenance they require. I personally think 2011 is too old for the average joe punter. For a CRF enthusiast, sure.
In my opinion, regarding Honda in general, their motorcycles or really their direction went south for me when they dropped all 2 strokes to the point of making 4T brush cutters. The direction was a statement - "all that old stuff is junk, this is what you guys need". Yeah Nah. And where did it take them? The showroom floor tells the story. How many Honda registered trail bikes in the bush? How many Honda bikes show up to Sunny Corner and other rallys? Mmmm.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't owned a Honda but I rode a 2004 ( i think) CRF250X, one of the first in the country at the time.
They handle excellent out of the box I agree.
Valves were an issue but as you say only in the early years.
TB frank, the buddy of mine won't be ready for a type of bike like this or the maintenance they require. I personally think 2011 is too old for the average joe punter. For a CRF enthusiast, sure.
In my opinion, regarding Honda in general, their motorcycles or really their direction went south for me when they dropped all 2 strokes to the point of making 4T brush cutters. The direction was a statement - "all that old stuff is junk, this is what you guys need". Yeah Nah. And where did it take them? The showroom floor tells the story. How many Honda registered trail bikes in the bush? How many Honda bikes show up to Sunny Corner and other rallys? Mmmm.
Yeah it's a shame, I've always loved my Honda's. Maybe a wr250r or tt/drz/klx/xr 250 is the go for your mate if he's not up for the maintenance?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Yep I agree. I've been suggesting WR250R, there fairly easy to come by. The rest are hard to find (or interstate - restricted) or hard to find a good one. Some of them like the KLX or DRZ are just too soft to recommend in a lot of cases. There's plenty of threads on the topic anyway. The SWM bikes are a lot for little but probably too much bike (too tall) for these blokes. Something in between the Jap 250s and the SWM bikes. Ah well, I'll pass the info on, thanks again.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Yep I agree. I've been suggesting WR250R, there fairly easy to come by. The rest are hard to find (or interstate - restricted) or hard to find a good one. Some of them like the KLX or DRZ are just too soft to recommend in a lot of cases. There's plenty of threads on the topic anyway. The SWM bikes are a lot for little but probably too much bike (too tall) for these blokes. Something in between the Jap 250s and the SWM bikes. Ah well, I'll pass the info on, thanks again.
You're welcome