dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 2 Weeks Ago
DBW Expert

Action on helmet strap brackets - please

Could you guys please help with submissions if you’ve had a helmet with a faulty bracket?

As you know I’ve raised the issue of helmets with failing strap brackets:
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...ighlight=suomy

And there are other threads about it happening to other helmets (Airoh, Leatt) here on DBW- the issue is hotting up.

I have been chasing up the authorities about where action can be taken. Basically the ACCC is responsible for pursuing cases where consumer goods are not “safe and fit for purpose”. Helmets with brackets that corrode in anyway are not safe, and also are not fit for purpose in that they do not meet the design standards that are mandatory for helmets to be approved for on road use. So it’s an open and shut case that these helmets can be the subject of action by the ACCC …. HOWEVER …!

The ACCC handles a lot of complaints, and their prioritization process depends on several factors including the number of complaints. I feel pretty sure that my complaint submission won’t be enough to bring the issue to the top.

So ... the more reports we have, the more likely the ACCC will investigate. If you have had a helmet with a corroded strap bracket, or know someone who has, could you go to the site below and submit the basic details via the Unsafe Product Report Form? It’s not hard - the main thing is to give the helmet make, model, and basic details of when it happened including (roughly) when it was purchased and when it broke or was found to be corroded. If you have photos, they’re great and you can upload those.
REPORT YOUR HELMET HERE

Guys, hear me out … honestly I feel that we should as a group take action and call out these dirt bike gear companies that short change us with crap gear. OK, I can forgive anyone for making a mistake (although using a corrodible metal in a pivotal helmet attachment in a sweat bucket helmet seems a pretty stupid dumb mistake). But … when the companies don’t provide support, don’t respond to complaints, or even more don’t even bother to acknowledge reports of serious issues, that’s just corporate greed. What it means is they don’t give a toss about you the buyer/rider - they’re only interested in the money they get from you. I completely disagree with the guys who’ve responded to me with comments like “It’s a helmet - you should replace it every 2 years”. Or “it’s normal, these helmets get a hard life”. We (dirt bikers) are paying premium prices for gear and often it’s just crap. The quality standard is dropping, while the prices go up. If you just accept that, don’t be surprised when the companies keep dishing out the crap gear! A yachtie can buy stainless fittings that will withstand salt 24/7 for ever and not rust. It’s criminal not to use the same stuff for helmet buckles. Boots that cost $5 - 700 shouldn’t be falling apart. Bum bags shouldn’t have zips that fall apart in a month or 2. And so on. So I’m asking you - don’t put up with crap. When something that you’ve paid top dollar for falls apart or doesn’t perform - complain to the company bloody loud and hard, and if that fails, go on social media to get others to help, and if necessary take it to the ACCC. There’s a bunch of us that have had enough of buying crap stuff.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Could you guys please help with submissions if you’ve had a helmet with a faulty bracket?

As you know I’ve raised the issue of helmets with failing strap brackets:
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...ighlight=suomy

And there are other threads about it happening to other helmets (Airoh, Leatt) here on DBW- the issue is hotting up.

I have been chasing up the authorities about where action can be taken. Basically the ACCC is responsible for pursuing cases where consumer goods are not “safe and fit for purpose”. Helmets with brackets that corrode in anyway are not safe, and also are not fit for purpose in that they do not meet the design standards that are mandatory for helmets to be approved for on road use. So it’s an open and shut case that these helmets can be the subject of action by the ACCC …. HOWEVER …!

The ACCC handles a lot of complaints, and their prioritization process depends on several factors including the number of complaints. I feel pretty sure that my complaint submission won’t be enough to bring the issue to the top.

So ... the more reports we have, the more likely the ACCC will investigate. If you have had a helmet with a corroded strap bracket, or know someone who has, could you go to the site below and submit the basic details via the Unsafe Product Report Form? It’s not hard - the main thing is to give the helmet make, model, and basic details of when it happened including (roughly) when it was purchased and when it broke or was found to be corroded. If you have photos, they’re great and you can upload those.
REPORT YOUR HELMET HERE

Guys, hear me out … honestly I feel that we should as a group take action and call out these dirt bike gear companies that short change us with crap gear. OK, I can forgive anyone for making a mistake (although using a corrodible metal in a pivotal helmet attachment in a sweat bucket helmet seems a pretty stupid dumb mistake). But … when the companies don’t provide support, don’t respond to complaints, or even more don’t even bother to acknowledge reports of serious issues, that’s just corporate greed. What it means is they don’t give a toss about you the buyer/rider - they’re only interested in the money they get from you. I completely disagree with the guys who’ve responded to me with comments like “It’s a helmet - you should replace it every 2 years”. Or “it’s normal, these helmets get a hard life”. We (dirt bikers) are paying premium prices for gear and often it’s just crap. The quality standard is dropping, while the prices go up. If you just accept that, don’t be surprised when the companies keep dishing out the crap gear! A yachtie can buy stainless fittings that will withstand salt 24/7 for ever and not rust. It’s criminal not to use the same stuff for helmet buckles. Boots that cost $5 - 700 shouldn’t be falling apart. Bum bags shouldn’t have zips that fall apart in a month or 2. And so on. So I’m asking you - don’t put up with crap. When something that you’ve paid top dollar for falls apart or doesn’t perform - complain to the company bloody loud and hard, and if that fails, go on social media to get others to help, and if necessary take it to the ACCC. There’s a bunch of us that have had enough of buying crap stuff.
You're spot on that they don't make shit like they used to. It's not just dirt bike industries either. I'm 37 years young.. I still have the same bag I bought for school in 1998. It's still functional. Not a single zip has blown out. I swear we buy our kids a new bag every year! I still take mine to work

No profit in making items that don't need replacing!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Good on you AVB. I'll have a close look at mine tomorrow.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
DBW Expert

Typically on a Facebook post I had another guy comment that corroding helmet fixings are our fault for not washing helmets etc etc. This is my response:

Mate, the wording of the Standards by which these helmets are approved, states: "The characteristics of the materials used in the manufacture of helmets shall be known not to undergo appreciable alteration under the influence of ageing, or of the circumstances of use to which the helmet is normally subjected, such as exposure to sun, extremes of temperature and rain. For those parts of the helmet coming into contact with the skin, the materials used shall be known not to undergo appreciable alteration through the effect of perspiration or of toilet preparations." Helmets which have main fixings that corrode, despite any amount of abuse, are definitely a "faulty product". That's issue no. 1.

Issue no. 2 is that the companies are refusing to acknowledge the issue (apart from Leatt who FINALLY agreed to replace affected helmets - but they haven't changed the corrodible steel used). I'm trying to wake the dirt bike community up and say Hey, you act like they're you're best friend, but they're not - you're being short changed, ripped off and raped by these companies - they don't give a stuff about you as a customer. Please stop thinking it's OK - it's not, and it's time for companies who don't back their products to get their arses kicked, get fined and in this case pay compensation to those who have purchased an unsafe, faulty product. We need to get the other guys out of the woodwork (who've had helmet straps corrode) and get them to report them. Please.

Last edited by AvB; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:59 AM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Addict

The performance of ACCC across many issues is appalling.

They constantly use the excuse of "consumer driven", etc, however, the law is the law. ACCC is failing to protect consumers by knowingly allowing businesses to operate outside of those parameters, plus they have acted without consumer complaint when it suits them (high profile).

This sort of thing needs to be taken to local ministers, etc. and pressure put on from a liability standpoint.

I'm sick and tired of trying to run a business honestly in this country while our competitors are given an advantage in the marketplace because the ACCC won't enforce the laws they're there to police
Like Us On Facebook
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
You're spot on that they don't make shit like they used to. It's not just dirt bike industries either. I'm 37 years young.. I still have the same bag I bought for school in 1998. It's still functional. Not a single zip has blown out. I swear we buy our kids a new bag every year! I still take mine to work

No profit in making items that don't need replacing!
Yep it’s called planned obsolescence. Engineers/designers for these big companies will be designing in flaws so these product do wear out faster and need replacing for the average rider in 3-5 years or whatever number they choose. Guys who ride lots are screwed as they will wear them out in 1 year or less.
2004 YZ240F
1991 DR250
1975 TC100 !
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Addict

Location: Mt Druitt West, used to live in Mt Druitt East, also lived in Mt Druitt North and South.
That's why pro riders front up to the starting line with a new helmet , boots and other gear almost every race, tyres with 5 laps on them get chopped up with a power saw . But the new car industry really stinks, full of bait hooks .
Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Expert

Hey if anyone's reading this thread - I'd particularly like to hear from anyone who has:

1) Purchased a helmet in Australia.

2) Found corrosion on a strap mounting bracket, or had it fail and pull out.

3) Complained to the shop or the manufacturer and not been satisfied/ compensated.

Are there any cases like this out there?

Cheers, Andrew.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro

I find Choice Magazine quite helpful in pushing matters along with the ACCC. I subscribe and have used them a few times with warranty and consumer guarantee issues. I know its a bit old school but they are a great organisation.
Otherwise contact Media like A Current Affair, they'd jump at the story.