dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Electrical Gurus

Oi peeps, I was lucky enough to score 2x250 watt solar panels the problem for me is they are 24 volt and I am only set up for 12 volt is there any way I can get them to step down to charge 12 volt batteries with a charge controller? in advance
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max at the Flat View Post
Oi peeps, I was lucky enough to score 2x250 watt solar panels the problem for me is they are 24 volt and I am only set up for 12 volt is there any way I can get them to step down to charge 12 volt batteries with a charge controller? in advance
Yep. Most decent solar regulators allow setting of the battery bank voltage independent of the input voltage from the panels.

Something like this would work EB-MPPT-30 https://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/ecoboost-mppt/

May even get away with the 20 but likely a bit small given the size of your panels. What is the short circuit current, should be on a label on the back of each panel?

What are you going to run with the solar system, this will also determine the size of the regulator required?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Yep. Most decent solar regulators allow setting of the battery bank voltage independent of the input voltage from the panels.

Something like this would work https://www.rfiwireless.com.au/regul...#tab_downloads , good Aussie product.

May even get away with a PL20 but likely a bit small given the size of your panels. What is the short circuit current, should be on a label on the back of each panel?

What are you going to run with the solar system, this will also determine the size of the regulator required?
Holy snappers that is what I am after I was advised by a sparkie and the blokes in Jaycar that it cant be done.........looks like it can, due to a divorce some years ago now I am finally able to spend some money however up until this point I have been running two 200 watt solar panels to charge a bank of 2x6v 430 amp hour batteries (for 12 volt) x2 ie one panel each bank
I know its not enough but you can only do what you can only do! I run my computer and lights off one bank and the internet and TV (rarely) off the other bank and it has been hard at times but I have managed.

I have just bought myself a 72l fridge/freezer (after 7 years!) and am running two 160 watt panels joined to make 320 watts into a 200 amp hour stand alone 12 volt battery for the fridge, I set this up on Friday just gone) and this is kicking ass, sweet spot on the fridge seems to be 3deg one side and -10 the other, I pulled 96 amp hours the other day and battery is constantly dropping into absorb charge according to my controller even with the fridge probably cycling around 50% due to the warm weather.

I will join the 2x250 watt panels to make 500 watts for one battery bank and the other two panels to make a 400 watt bank for the other side and should be sweet for a few years before I redo my ahem......shedhouse

Thanks bloke most appreciated you can come visit any time!