dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Suspension

Suspension Proudly Supported by: www.shocktreatment.com.au

Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
No offence. But the force generated by you pushing the damper rod through the cartridge by hand is rather insignificant to what it will have to do when in action.

If it were my fork I would have looked at adding some mid valve float.. Allowing the stack to move away from the piston a bit.. probably between 0.5mm to 1.00mm (would take some trial and error) and then probably scrapping the bleed shims out of the base valve all together.

In saying that, you've made some changes based off what you feel, and what you feel it needs. A test ride will confirm if it was in the right direction... and that is half the fun of home tuning by seat of the pants.. and also the reason why tuners charge what they do!

Point taken Jakobi, I am comparing it directly with a known good fork action side by side. It is the quickest way I know to see if any changes have happened and if they are going in the right direction. The fact that i have a known good action fork to directly compare it to is a bonus.

Agreed doing it by hand could be different to what will happen when riding.

I will try your suggestion tomorrow put it back to OEM and then add some mid valve float and see how it feels.

OEM its not a bad fork, its just that I would like the action a little closer to my 2015 tuned fork with a little shim shuffling.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallopy View Post
Point taken Jakobi, I am comparing it directly with a known good fork action side by side. It is the quickest way I know to see if any changes have happened and if they are going in the right direction. The fact that i have a known good action fork to directly compare it to is a bonus.

Agreed doing it by hand could be different to what will happen when riding.

I will try your suggestion tomorrow put it back to OEM and then add some mid valve float and see how it feels.

OEM its not a bad fork, its just that I would like the action a little closer to my 2015 tuned fork with a little shim shuffling.
You have to ride it mate!

By running it through its stroke by hand you are only really testing at a very slow, constant velocity. You could make them both feel great in one test, but the fork see's a huge range of variables across the trail..

It's a bit like sitting on a bike and bouncing the suspension.. you can form an opinion, but it doesn't necessarily equate to a happy ride.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

I tried .4mm float on the MV and this was useless.
Tried .25 same useless - no meaning full damping.
.15 getting better.
In went a shim to give .08 mm float and this felt close to double what my tuned sachs is.
As I dont have any shims thinner I had to leave it at that and put it back in the bike for a test ride.

Fork oil Motul expert 5wt, 13cm from the top. C 16 clicks. R 7 clicks.

Whoo hoo gave it a good workout today over 60kms and now its is plush

No more not compressing or moving a little on the trail trash.
Even deep whoops (which I hate) seem a little easier to navigate.

Its good to ride again and not be wondering if the ZF fork will absorb smaller bumps at any speed.

Which brings me to notice how harsh the ZF rear is again even with both C clickers wide open. I am hoping with a few more kms on the bike it will soften a little.

The bike definitely comes from the factory a little firmer than previously in my opinion, suspension works better if you are pushing hard all the time.
But If you just want to ride at a quick pace it feels like it needs softening at both ends.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Good effort!

I was WAY off in my thinking of the sort of float you'd need in the MV I guess that's why I'm not a tuner hey!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Addict

Great work mate. As long as the bloke behind the bars is happy that is the main thing!

Where did you end up in the end? Just a bees dick of float on the mid.. any changes to the base valve?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Great work mate. As long as the bloke behind the bars is happy that is the main thing!

Where did you end up in the end? Just a bees dick of float on the mid.. any changes to the base valve?
I am more than happy with the result on my 2019 Beta ZF fork. No more getting jarred when running over match sticks Now if I run over a house brick I feel nothing the suspension just deals with it just like my other Sachs forks.

Correct Jacobi it was only .08mm (0.003")float on the mid that I changed. Anymore float and it loses damping. so in hind sight maybe .05- .08 would be a good number to aim for.
No changes to the Base valve all OEM

Very easy to do, shim has a 8mm hole about 12mm diameter and .08 - .1 thickness. The shim appears to lose about .02mm float gap when torqued down and checked with a feeler gauge. eg I used a .1 shim and the float ended up at .08mm.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallopy View Post
I am more than happy with the result on my 2019 Beta ZF fork. No more getting jarred when running over match sticks Now if I run over a house brick I feel nothing the suspension just deals with it just like my other Sachs forks.

Correct Jacobi it was only .08mm (0.003")float on the mid that I changed. Anymore float and it loses damping. so in hind sight maybe .05- .08 would be a good number to aim for.
No changes to the Base valve all OEM

Very easy to do, shim has a 8mm hole about 12mm diameter and .08 - .1 thickness. The shim appears to lose about .02mm float gap when torqued down and checked with a feeler gauge. eg I used a .1 shim and the float ended up at .08mm.
Does it have any bleed at all ?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 1 Week Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty MOOSE View Post
Does it have any bleed at all ?
It would have to MM, if he's improving small bump action by decreasing float the benefit is coming from having more cart pressure to start the MV moving, sounds like the stock fork had too much free bleed.

It could be that the increased cart pressure is deflecting the face shims of a staged BV though, Onlins-Harley do that, they just have a check plate on the cart piston.

Only guessing though, never seen the new ZF fork internals...

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
It would have to MM, if he's improving small bump action by decreasing float the benefit is coming from having more cart pressure to start the MV moving, sounds like the stock fork had too much free bleed.

It could be that the increased cart pressure is deflecting the face shims of a staged BV though, Onlins-Harley do that, they just have a check plate on the cart piston.

Only guessing though, never seen the new ZF fork internals...
I've not seen them either I'm assuming it's normal Sachs with a bleed shim on the base. Does sound a little more postive though.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk