dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Electric top no-fuel drag bikes are fast catching the fuel bikes. 6 sec 1/4 mile would scare most bike riders shitless.

None of the new gen of auto bikes are hydraulic like the old Husky 430, they were an unsuccessful dog of a bike anyway. Worst example of pre-release product testing in the history of bikes...
I'm sure the electric bikes are a hoot, they just don't interest me at the moment.

The Husky was unreliable as all hell (like all Huskys of that era), but when they're going they were great. Launched off the line like nothing else and always in the right gear.

Their biggest issue was the kick starter assembly was a weak as piss and when it broke you couldn't push start the thing.

They won a lot of races in their day, just had to be rebuilt after every heat.
Like Us On Facebook
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:

Anthony Gunters Rekluse setup does exactly that John. His bike is indistinguishable from a manual in a MX style start. Dunno what he does to them but they're awesome.
All Rekluse will do a normal MX style start on the manual clutch you dont have to do any thing to them, they work very well when the revs and or momentum is up.

What they wont do very well is a little rev say revs up 500rpm from idle and pop the clutch onto a rock ledge or jump a small gap. At 500rpm above idle the rekluse still has minor slipage because it hasnt fully engaged yet.

An auto clutch doesnt have the advantage of a manual clutch like a Rekluse does

I cant wait for an enduro bike that will get 110 kms of riding from one charge.
It is just the battery life that has to be addressed before they will become a good seller
Old 1 Week Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallopy View Post
...What they wont do very well is a little rev say revs up 500rpm from idle and pop the clutch onto a rock ledge or jump a small gap. At 500rpm above idle the rekluse still has minor slipage because it hasnt fully engaged yet....
I cant wait for an enduro bike that will get 110 kms of riding from one charge.
It is just the battery life that has to be addressed before they will become a good seller
That's exactly what Anthony has tuned out John. His 350 KTM does those little trials jumps and log pops like a manual. I didn't like Rekluses at all until I rode his 350. I still don't like them but his is fine...

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalboy View Post
yeah i just meant that the power delivery from an e bike could be similar to that of a clutch driven petrol burning engine
Yer, they'll need a soft map, had myself convinced I wanted all that torque from zero rpm, went for a short squirt on my old XR500 and remembered why I like 2 strokes.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
that riding position would dislocate my shoulder if the front wheel hit a pebble
https://paypal.me/dreamfieldtheory
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Champion

so now we get an electric 50 which will do 2 x 10 minute moto's to replace a petrol bike that does 3 or 4 10 minute moto's in a typical race day at a club level.

So we need to cut the racing down to 2 races or have 2 races in the morning, then sit the bikes on a petrol generator for 2 hours to charge up for the remaining 2 races of the day.

I know its initial steps and things will evolve rapidly I have seen Tesla charge stations in Kieth so the technology is filtering out there.
Old 1 Week Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow View Post
so now we get an electric 50 which will do 2 x 10 minute moto's to replace a petrol bike that does 3 or 4 10 minute moto's in a typical race day at a club level.

So we need to cut the racing down to 2 races or have 2 races in the morning, then sit the bikes on a petrol generator for 2 hours to charge up for the remaining 2 races of the day.
No.

You just take three batteries. Practice/Moto 1, M2/3, M4/5. Simple. Less space, less hassle, cleaner and safer than a jerry can and funnel.

The kids and parents who ran the bikes in testing loved them. They come out of turns way faster than the petrol bike. It'll double whoops out of turns that the petrol bike can't physically do.

Anyone who's jetted and set up clutches on a SX50 will know why the SX-E 5 is a big deal....

Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Champion

still an extra outlay for the extra batteries and a charging point over cost of fuel, pros and cons each way.

Im on my 5th and last 50 Im all for the SX-E
Old 1 Week Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow View Post
still an extra outlay for the extra batteries and a charging point over cost of fuel, pros and cons each way.

Im on my 5th and last 50 Im all for the SX-E
I share your pain mate, six grandsons, two on 50s, four more to come.