dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 01-04-2017
dbw Pro Champion

Quote = VicRoads:

Trail bike riding in Victorias parks is a growing recreational activity that has become a significant road safety concern.
Informal tracks are not monitored, maintained, signposted or mapped. They pose a safety risk to riders and make it difficult for emergency services to locate injured riders and accurately report the location of crashes.

Options:

1. Rehabilitate and revegetate the informal track network and close it to trail riders and other users.
2. Rehabilitate and revegetate the informal track network and close it to trail bike riders and other users.
3. Create a new dedicated track network for trail riders: Emergency access and rest areas created close to the tracks, and signposts or markers installed to provide easier and faster access for emergency services.

Agencies have sought a solution that would improve safety for trail riders while maintaining the challenge and enjoyment of the natural environment.
Unlike other forest users, trail bike riders are experiencing increasing trauma on forest tracks resulting in serious injuries.

Although every attempt will be made to minimise conflict with other forest users, the objective of the project is to reduce trail bike trauma and a small amount of inconvenience to other forest users may be inevitable.

The project will also protect the environment by discouraging riding on informal tracks, which presents many environmental concerns.
The expanding footprint of the informal track network encroaches on the natural environment, damages native vegetation and causes soil erosion.

Informal tracks also divide the forest into sections that act as barriers to small native creatures, affecting the diversity and ecosystems of the forest.
In contrast, riding on designated tracks has a low environmental impact. These roads are monitored, managed and can be maintained.

https://engage.vicroads.vic.gov.au/N...kes/faqs#22376
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 01-04-2017
dbw Pro Champion

VicRoads survey - making single track legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyone View Post

Informal tracks also divide the forest into sections that act as barriers to small native creatures, affecting the diversity and ecosystems of the forest.

Yeah I'm constantly seeing little animals just standing on the side of a 500mm wide single just freaking out wondering how they are going to cross to the other side.
Old 01-04-2017
dbw Pro Champion

Quote = shanewatts "VicRoads survey - making single track legal."
With the utmost of respect for you Shane... You're living in a naive dreamland.

VicRoads are not about "making single track legal". Reality is the complete opposite:
"The project" entails far more than merely some lip service survey & none of it good.
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 01-04-2017
dbw Pro

I see number 3 as the only real option then.. But what's their idea of a dedicated track network?

I hate riding flogged out single, that's why I don't ride neerim and have not done this survey.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
'12 FE390 Berger with the lot

http://www.donatelife.gov.au/
Old 01-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJay84 View Post
the best trails are the ones less travelled
agreed!

secret single = the best single
Old 01-04-2017
Banned

i dont care as long as its single
Old 05-04-2017
dbw Pro

No smoke or mirrors on this one.

We were pretty much never going to get endorsed single-track either to provide better recreational opportunity or even to make the tracks more sustainable and have them routed away from sensitive and fragile areas.

What is making the difference now is the fact that we've got to the point where it's pretty much accepted that well designed single-track can reduce injuries and deaths due to the slower riding speeds on tight, narrow tracks.

Most recent trail bike fatalities in State forests have been on higher speed tracks, loss of control, hit tree. If we can have interesting, challenging tracks suitable for different levels of riding experience, those severe injuries and fatalities may be reduced. That's the point of this pilot project proposal.

For it to work, there would need to be a change in some riders riding style away from large bikes, high speed on easy tracks towards smaller bikes on tighter tracks at lower speeds. That's a culture change that could take some time, and I know there are many riders who are already looking for (or doing) this kind of riding.

The planned investment is based on Parliamentary advice that off-road riders should be treated similarly (funding wise) to on-road riders in respect of improving safety, and this (legal single-track) could possibly deliver fewer injuries and more enjoyment at the same time.

We are aware that the longer term crash data outcome will be complicated by the fact that Neerim East is currently so heavily used that the crash numbers may actually go up if more people come to ride any endorsed single-track. Ideally I would like to have seen this trialled somewhere else where it had more chance of success, but the crash numbers were so high at Neerim that VicRoads felt we should do it there.

I'm sure that the views of the sceptics will also be taken into consideration, but the feedback thus far has been very positive. All of the analysis is being undertaken independently and results will be reported publicly.

Roger Pitt
Trail Bike Project Manager
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Old 05-04-2017
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroRider View Post

What is making the difference now is the fact that we've got to the point where it's pretty much accepted that well designed single-track can reduce injuries and deaths due to the slower riding speeds on tight, narrow tracks.

For it to work, there would need to be a change in some riders riding style away from large bikes, high speed on easy tracks towards smaller bikes on tighter tracks at lower speeds. That's a culture change that could take some time, and I know there are many riders who are already looking for (or doing) this kind of riding.

Bingo! That was the essence of my feedback, plus the fact you're removing yourself from 4wd traffic

On the second point, I think that goes hand in hand with accessible ST. You'll always get the weekend warriors who'll want to charge around but I think some of them are transient to our sport (although maybe responsible for some of the injury stats). Once your normal committed rider discovers a liking for "managed" ST, a percentage of them may find that a 500 4T is not the best bike for them

If it was successful, you may want to visualise a future where there are more small bores, free ride type bikes, trials bikes and electric bikes in car parks like NeerimEast. That would probably be pretty good for the sport

Good work Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2017
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sico View Post
I see number 3 as the only real option then.. But what's their idea of a dedicated track network?

I hate riding flogged out single, that's why I don't ride neerim and have not done this survey.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
"Dedicated" single-track means tracks designed solely for trail bikes and dedicated to their exclusive use. Currently pretty much all tracks legally used by trail bikes are shared use, and have to be designed to accommodate cars, trucks, 4WDs, etc.

Having a dedicated trail bike network allows the tracks to be designed specifically for trail bikes, ie way too narrow and tight for any four wheel vehicle.

Roger Pitt
Trail Bike Project Manager
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Old 05-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Excellent work Roger, the real world take in this case is refreshing from the usual skewed to a predisposed position we experience with many upper echelon Public service driven idea(l)s.