dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Honda Forum

Honda Forum For the Red Riders

Old 21-04-2015
dbw Pro Legend

I used the race tech gold valves in my front end. These are available from their website and ebay sellers.
Rear end I haven't had much luck with, the xr600 shock has a completely different (and stiffer spring) so is not a bolt in job by any means.

It's frustrating there's no details about what springs people are using as the rear end is definitely an issue.

I just stumbled on what seems like an awesome carb swap the other day. Stock 30mm xr250 carb using the crf 230 needle. Apparently the carb is identical just 2mm bigger and it works very well from the get go.

Anyone done it? I've very keen to give it a go.

www.bioflexnutrition.com.au - Australia's purest supplements with dirt bike specific endurance products being developed.
Old 21-04-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Nice info Hoppy, shame i've just about sold the 230.

It hasn't actually even been ridden since i did the brake pedal mod above

I'll pass on the info about the 600 shock to someone that is about to do it, and the carby info.

Do you recall what mj and pj were in the 250 carby?
Old 21-04-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Pilot jet was 45, main anywhere from 120 - 132.

I think the yanks seem to run bigger jets than us for the most part, I was going to stick on the lower side of this.

Using the earlier crf needle is apparebtky the hot ticket, on the 4th clip it's good, the later model 2 position clip won't work well.

I'm much more excited about this carby conversion than adding an FCR (if you could ever get one to fit) or a pumper carby. One of the things I love about these older air cooled machines is their really tractable, progressive with great bottom end. Putting on a more modern high performance carb could easily make them too snappy which would be a shame.

Over the next month I'm going to have a look at the rear shock and this carb conversion, next update should be a bit sooner than my last.

www.bioflexnutrition.com.au - Australia's purest supplements with dirt bike specific endurance products being developed.
Old 01-05-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Some information for anyone wanting to put an XR600 shock in they're crf230.

Despite the info from the yanks (who must be regurgitating what they've read) it IS NOT a bolt in mod.

The xr shock (mine is an 89 model) is around 10mm shorter, with both shocks being so short, this makes a massive difference.
If you bolt it in, the bike will be sitting an inch and a half lower and it's clear on full droop things aren't right.

I'm currently looking at options to fix this, one is adding an extension to the actual shock, the other is adding an extra mount on the frame, 10mm or so lower from the orginal point.

It's hard to believe there is so much talk out there about this conversion, yet no one mentions the difference in length. I noticed it as soon as I compared the shocks but threw it in anyway just to make sure nothing magic happened once in there.
Nope, she's clearly too short!

Old 01-05-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Straight bolt in, not!

Good news is that if I drop the top mount down 15mm on the crf frame I still shouldn't have any issues with travel, as the xr600 shock has a much longer throw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-05-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Well as it turns out the stockie is rebuildable.

If you can get in there to do seals etc then surely the slow damping rate could be sped up a bit, sure there would be no adjustability externally still but at least it would cope with higher speed hits and maybe not send you OTB.

Fitting up a 600 shock sounds like heaps more hassle, worth it if you get it to work but for kids that are getting faster than the stock shock can cope with then a 'simple' rebuild and mod may suffice.
Old 01-05-2015
dbw Pro Legend

I see welding a tab 15 - 20mm lower on the top mount to fit the xr600 shock easier than rebuilding the stock one.

Only as I have plenty of scrap steel and a mig on site, if you were paying someone it would be a hassle.

One idea I'm flirting with for the xr600 shock is extending that mount even more to increase the travel a little, maybe 20-30mm.
I'll do the measurements next week as it may not work but I figure it would be another minor benefit with this upgrade.

Old 01-05-2015
dbw Pro Legend

What about ground clearance once you go through 330mm? of travel?

Or does it only go out to a bit under 300 with the increase you are talking about?

Stock is 250-270 yeh but the 600 shock is longer?
Old 01-05-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideo View Post
What about ground clearance once you go through 330mm? of travel?

Or does it only go out to a bit under 300 with the increase you are talking about?

Stock is 250-270 yeh but the 600 shock is longer?
The plan was to try to add 10-15mm each way, which would be 20-30mm in total.
Just an idea at this stage, I'm thinking the more minimal the increase the less likely I'll have issues with seat height and ground clearance.

I'm gojng to put both shocks back in without springs and run them through their travel with the 600 mount point simulated in different positions.

Old 05-06-2015
DBW Clubman

So would you recomend installing racetech emulators over upgrading to larger shocks?
Springs in my wifes are crap. If you sit on it and drop the clutch to lift the front end you can hear the forks make a bang as it fully extends. Is this normal? Ive added washers for more pre load already and didnt do much.
-pw50s x 2
- electric bike