dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Honda Forum

Honda Forum For the Red Riders

Old 22-01-2012
dbw Pro

07 X
[HANDLING] MSC steering damper (serviced when forks get serviced)

[ERGONOMICS] Wide alloy pegs, Easton taper bars, Bent radiators & shrouds

[SUSPENSION] Revalved forks & shock by PMS, stock springs, fork bleeders

[ENGINE] Stainless valves by Wideline

[EXHAUST] Modded Stocker

[JETTING AND AIRBOX] Twin air filter

[CLUTCH] Stocker

[TYRES] Bridgies 403 & 404

[ELECTRICAL] Some removed & stealthy looking headlight

[PROTECTION] Acerbis bash plate, Bark busters, case protector

[DRIVE AND BRAKES] 14-49 & X ring chain, Ebay brake pads & oversized front rotor

Change oil & filters regularly & service forks couple times a year. Gets a full wash after each outing & a full plastics strip down every 3 or 4 rides unless its been really muddy. Other than that just get on it & ride.
Old 22-01-2012
dbw Pro

2008 450X

Handling-Stock

Ergo's- Tag Bars, Safari Tank(14L for the longer rides)

Suspension- Stock

Engine- Stock

Exhaust- Lexx

Jetting and Airbox- Twin Air Filter

Clutch- Stock

Tyres- Dunlop MX 51

Electrical- Stock; some removed( Indicators etc.)

Protection- B&B Bash Plate, Brake smake, Barkbusters, Zeta case saver, Fork bleeders, seal savers,

Drive and Brakes- 14-51, Wave disk on 19Inch rim( Stupidly forgot to tighten spokes on original rim, found a 19" on Ebay to get me by)

As I bought this bike second hand a few years back(with 390K's on the clock), I don't know whether the throttle stop screw has been removed. I have folowed the guide that is supplied, lifting the subframe for access, but where is it????

After jumping on a mates 09 450EXC, a couple of things became immediately apparent. Now, as I have had multiple KTM's prior to this bike, I was thinking I was pretty keen to buy another one. Not anymore.

Yes, my bike feels noticeably heavier even before you sit on the KTM, when in motion it's not very obvious. The suspension on the Honda, for me feels brilliant until pushed to hard at high speed, which I will get rectified. The KTM felt so hard through the suspension and the seat that I really don't know how I put up with it on my previous bikes.

Power wise, the Honda also .thrills me far more than the Kato

Anywho, enough rambling, my question to the ones that know out there is, what is the best way to shed the kilos?

On the Honda that is...

So far, the muffler has been changed to a Lexx, which is a reasonable saving, now I am thinking of drilling holes in the bash plate(or buying a plastic one???), changing the barkbusters to a handguard.

The speedo doesn't work so i may as well fugg that off.

What else can I do??

Old 22-01-2012
Banned

2011 450x

1. Full JCR team Honda porting and engine work including 450r carb, head, valves, cam etc, air box cut to Honda ccc team advice letter. Good for about 57hp

2. Full pro circuit ti4 jcr gp race pipe with a *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#& the dse sticker on it. (dfse are c-smokers)

3. Scott's stabilizer

4. Ims tank

5. D606 tyres

6. 15/48 gearing

7. Garmin 401 with jcr mount.

8. Mckenzie motorsports weld on twin hid Baja designs light mount.

9. Baja designs rewound stator.

10. 1x team graphics and 1x rego...

11. 450r front master cylinder.

12. Pro circuit jcr team suspension.

This shows the special radiator/oil cooler i bought

Next is some haan dampened wheels

Last edited by Carbon; 25-01-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 22-01-2012
dbw Factory Pro

[HANDLING] - Adjusted stock HPSD to full tight. Considering aftermarket steering dampener

[ERGONOMICS] - Acerbis 15.5L tank, with replica factory sticker kit

[SUSPENSION] - Just had clickers and sag set by local suspension joint (Hoey's)

[ENGINE] - Stock, will upgrade piston and valves later in the year

[EXHAUST] - Lexx with enduro tip

[JETTING AND AIRBOX] - 168 main jet, adjustable fuel screw, opened airbox, No-Toil Superflo kit.

[CLUTCH] - Standard, will upgrade to a light pull clutch cable

[TYRES] - Michelin Comp IV front, Michelin AC10 rear

[ELECTRICAL] - Pink wire mod

[PROTECTION] - Bashplate, Case Saver, Barkbusters. Want to upgrade first 2 to Force.

[DRIVE AND BRAKES] - 14 tooth front, stock rear... This is a neccesity, standard gearing is no good with the 5 speed.

This is with old tyres and bash plate not fitted (took off to clean)

2010 Honda CRF450X

FOR SALE http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/...d=13B1F90B7BEE
Old 22-01-2012
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoholic View Post
2008 450X

Handling-Stock

Ergo's- Tag Bars, Safari Tank(14L for the longer rides)

Suspension- Stock

Engine- Stock

Exhaust- Lexx

Jetting and Airbox- Twin Air Filter

Clutch- Stock

Tyres- Dunlop MX 51

Electrical- Stock; some removed( Indicators etc.)

Protection- B&B Bash Plate, Brake smake, Barkbusters, Zeta case saver, Fork bleeders, seal savers,

Drive and Brakes- 14-51, Wave disk on 19Inch rim( Stupidly forgot to tighten spokes on original rim, found a 19" on Ebay to get me by)

As I bought this bike second hand a few years back(with 390K's on the clock), I don't know whether the throttle stop screw has been removed. I have folowed the guide that is supplied, lifting the subframe for access, but where is it????
I thought it was a bit of plastic inside the throttle housing? not real sure as mine had been opened up for more funs when i go it.

After jumping on a mates 09 450EXC, a couple of things became immediately apparent. Now, as I have had multiple KTM's prior to this bike, I was thinking I was pretty keen to buy another one. Not anymore.

Yes, my bike feels noticeably heavier even before you sit on the KTM, when in motion it's not very obvious. The suspension on the Honda, for me feels brilliant until pushed to hard at high speed, which I will get rectified. The KTM felt so hard through the suspension and the seat that I really don't know how I put up with it on my previous bikes.

Power wise, the Honda also .thrills me far more than the Kato
Seeing a mate pull away from me like i was sitting still makes me wonder about that, he was on an 09 or 10 450exc.

Anywho, enough rambling, my question to the ones that know out there is, what is the best way to shed the kilos?

On the Honda that is...

So far, the muffler has been changed to a Lexx, which is a reasonable saving, now I am thinking of drilling holes in the bash plate(or buying a plastic one???), changing the barkbusters to a handguard.

The speedo doesn't work so i may as well fugg that off.

What else can I do??
Go the gym more often.
I see no vaild way to magically lose 30 kgs, even 10 is a near impossible ask imo unless you are factory sponsored.

Old 26-01-2012
dbw Pro

I don't know whether the KTM is faster or not, it's the way in which the power is delivered.

Ahh, gym is not an option when I already weigh 65kg....

What about carbon fibre bash plates, anyone used them?
Old 26-01-2012
dbw Factory Pro

Some of you guys are running tall gearing, how do you find it in tighter tracks or in steep rocky stuff? I have change my rear to a 49T so its not reving as hard on a transit leg, but is still good in the tighter more technical stuff.
Old 26-01-2012
dbw Pro Addict

Location: island jungle where dreams will come true, down here where we all screw
I run 14 48 and you do use first and the clutch a lot in tight technical stuff. I have a rekluse pro so I don't notice it as much, but I can't not have the top speed, I love going fast.
Old 02-02-2012
dbw Pro Legend

I'm not convinced there is a need for FI, potential fuel pump issues negate most of the benefits imo apart from being able to remap the power curve to suit yourself.

450X owners running an IMS 3.2 tank:

I just found mine is rubbing through the rocker cover near the spark plug port, rubbing is caused by the fuel outlet on the tank [oem outlet]
I solved the issue by fitting 2 rubber washers under the front tank mount [on top of frame-under the tank mount] and a strip of 3mm rubber on both frame spars down near the rear of the tank, this lifted it about 5mm all up which should be enough to stop the rubbing.

Last edited by rideo; 02-02-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: because
Old 03-02-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideo View Post
I'm not convinced there is a need for FI, potential fuel pump issues negate most of the benefits imo apart from being able to remap the power curve to suit yourself.

450X owners running an IMS 3.2 tank:

I just found mine is rubbing through the rocker cover near the spark plug port, rubbing is caused by the fuel outlet on the tank [oem outlet]
I solved the issue by fitting 2 rubber washers under the front tank mount [on top of frame-under the tank mount] and a strip of 3mm rubber on both frame spars down near the rear of the tank, this lifted it about 5mm all up which should be enough to stop the rubbing.

daz I have the IMS gas tank, so will keep an eye out.

I'll call Joe at JCR and see if any of the baja bikes have that issue (I'd be pissed if the 450R head etc wore through