dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Suspension

Suspension Proudly Supported by: www.shocktreatment.com.au

Old 1 Day Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwb79 View Post
Below is a general rule in suspension tuning.

Springs for weight.
Select spring rates to hold the bike in the correct part of the stroke. Bike weight, bike modifications, bike use, rider weight & rider height are the main considerations to help choose a spring. To a lesser extent, riding terrain can influence spring rates.

Damping for everything else.
Damping is used to control spring/chassis movement. Riding ability, speed, preference to feel, terrain and spring rates are used to determine appropriate damping levels.

So currently you have RT saying 0.46, while Teknik, myself and JJW saying 0.44kg/mm. Personally I think these will be a good balance to the P20 in the rear.

So using our "general" rule above, if the forks feel too firm with the 0.44kg fork springs, its more than likely you have a valving problem. This could be an excess or a lack of damping that is making it feel to harsh.
Sounds good to me. I also should have mentioned to you forks are 6mm through the triples ATM. Go another 3? I also haven't fitted the 18mm offset triples as yet either.
Like I said in the beginning valving is very new to me. However I do want to understand & experiment with it. Since this bike is being used in a fairly specific type of terrain & not over any great distance I would like the ability to eventually understand the valving equation to dial this particular bike in very personally.
dwb79 I will go back to the .44 springs this weekend (I work away during week so a little frustrating having such a small window each week to make changes & experiment) & make the shim changes you have put forward & report back.
Your input is very much appreciated in this dark art of tuning. Cheers

My 98 300 back in the day had similar steering issues & Terry Hay (as I lived in Sydney then) dialed that out to a very stable & precise front end.
Old 13 Hours Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtboy View Post
This was a vast improvement over the .44 springs with over 10mm preload (how bike came)
Just checking, how do you know that the springs in the bike are 0.44? Does it have that printed/engraved on the spring?
Old 11 Hours Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwb79 View Post
Just checking, how do you know that the springs in the bike are 0.44? Does it have that printed/engraved on the spring?
The .44 springs were pulled new out of a KTM 500. The preload spacers was what the bike came with. The original springs were the .40 measured wire Diameter & amount of coils.
Old 9 Hours Ago
dbw Pro Champion

dwb79 implied; correct me if I'm wrong; that correct-springs can seem wrong if they don't correspond with correct-damping ie. The place in the stroke; my point.
I'd like for dwb79 to clarify somewhat-here for me & others... Although I do recognise that he needs-to & should... Retain some of those trade-secrets for himself.
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*