dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Project Bikes

Project Bikes Proudly Sponsored by: www.twostrokeperformance.com.au

Old 07-06-2017
dbw Pro Addict

2009 Italian Husky CR125

Recently acquired one of these. Never really been fond of the Italian huskys, but this one found its way into my life and it's a beautiful example of their superb build quality.

It's been parked up for a while.. It's seen better days.. But it's a 125 and I've been wanting one to play with for a while.

Aesthetically, it couldn't get much worse..

Mechanically it's getting the once over, but doesn't seem too bad other than a few seized up bolts in the tank, misalignment of the pipe, a few missing bolts (and missing head stays). Had a peek in the exhaust port and no real blow by past the rings. I haven't even tried to start her yet.

Engine hours apparently 60hrs, with rings at 25hrs. One owner.

Pictures to follow.
Old 07-06-2017
dbw Pro Addict

She's a real gem! Plastics a bit faded, have been a bit over tightened and bolts pulled through quite a few of them. 2 x fuel tank bolts seized and turning in the tank. Will need to pull and epoxy them in. Head stays AWOL.

Chain and sprockets all well and truly spent. Counter shaft seal possibly leaking (or could just be chain lube).

Picture doesn't show it too well, but intake manifold perished and cracking in places. It'll need replacing too.

Old 07-06-2017
dbw Pro Addict

Complete plastics and decal set are cheap as chips , except the lower radiator shrouds which i couldnt find new and dear second hand for some reason .
Old 07-06-2017
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADAL View Post
Complete plastics and decal set are cheap as chips , except the lower radiator shrouds which i couldnt find new and dear second hand for some reason .
I have already ordered a complete set of Racetech plastics. Need to source the lower shrouds but can salvage them with some plastic polish if needed (tested one already).

Also have 2 x air filters (fitted one falling apart), and a complete gasket kit on order.

The list of parts is growing. Landed a near new RK 520 KZU chain with the spares box, but need to source a master link for it. Can use a 50T super sprox stealth that is partially worn but far from bin worthy out of the gassers spares. Trying to keep costs down!
Old 07-06-2017
dbw Pro Addict

Heap of slop in the gear shifter. Haven't pulled it to see if it's just loose or if the splines are rounded/worn. May need to chase up another shift shaft for her too.

Piston has 2 small scores to the rhs. Short and don't look too bad. Not much blow by or build up on the crown.

Appears to have had a good knock down to the water outlet on the radiator. Probably from the pipe. Previous owner had a bit of heat wrap around the coolant lines to stop it touching. Might look at cleaning the old pipe and straightening it out, or just source an fmf fatty.

Given the state of everything else I'm half tempted to replace the coolant lines too. Found some samco ones but huge $$$. Hopefully OEM is more reasonable.

Old 07-06-2017
dbw Pro Addict

Gotta give credit where credit's due! Cheers shawbagga for helping out with all his sources and knowledge re known/common issues and where to get bits and pieces!

Much easier than trying to learn the quirks of a new brand as you go!

I'd give Lapper props too! But the bastard never replied to my PM.
Old 07-06-2017
dbw Pro Addict

Radiators appear nice and straight!! However the force braces are rooted beyond belief. Both sides have cracked through in multiple places. Wonder if force will warrant them?? Worth asking?

Linkage bolts and swingarm pivot came out without too much effort. The rear axle put up more of a fight. Have to clean them up and decide if I'm going to replace them all or not. Don't want to blow the budget. There was a little play holding the swingarm and moving it up and down, none side to side. Couldn't isolate which set were at fault.

Pipe has been out of alignment, has rubbed against shock N2 reservoir at some point. Bump stop is showing similar state as the rest of the chassis.

Don't forget about the chain rollers and rubber in the guides. They're all perished as well.

Old 09-06-2017
dbw Pro

A long way off, but here's some inspiration for you while you toil away Jakobi - not mine

PS - my suspension tuner warned me about those 50mm Zokes. Apparently a poor seal design and prone to leaking as soon as you turn your back on them. Hope yours are ok
Old 09-06-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Chain rollers just but some chinga ebay jobs or can get outlaw/all balls for about $15 each.

I asked Dave at susp matters a few years back about shock fade on the horizontal canister Sachs(2010+) & he reckons they were ok. Never had a drama with mine but the 300(vertical canister) I did. Don't know if it's the same shock as 250/300s?
Old 09-06-2017
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
Chain rollers just but some chinga ebay jobs or can get outlaw/all balls for about $15 each.

I asked Dave at susp matters a few years back about shock fade on the horizontal canister Sachs(2010+) & he reckons they were ok. Never had a drama with mine but the 300(vertical canister) I did. Don't know if it's the same shock as 250/300s?
Shawbagga how did you fix the shock that faded ? How come your not racing this year?