dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Rider Organisations > Super Motard Riders

Old 22-02-2016
dbw Factory Pro

tyre suppliers and sizes

I bought some motard wheels for the 650 and I need to get tyres but all the local bike shops deal mostly in dirt stuff so they don't have much in the way of tyres to suit the motards sizes.
Ideally I wanted tyres that will handle some limited dirt hardpack roads along with the majority bitumen but not essential because I have the dirt wheels and the other bikes if I want that.
Anyone have any input as to what you have used that was good and what to stay away from, sizes you used and where you buy from that will ship, if they have a online store even better.

"Life begins at the end of your comfort Zone"

CRF450R '08
XR680R
CR500R
DRZ400 for the wife
Old 07-03-2016
DBW Clubman

For hard pack dirt, 100% tarmac tyres will do fine. Motard tyres actually grip very well on hardpack, in a lot of cases better than knobbies.

I've never found anything knarly enough I couldn't traverse with motard tyres however where they lack is:

mud
hardpack with a loose surface on top
slow speed's where traction is needed (ie steep hill climb, starting off in sand bit tricky too)

Dunlop Alpha 13's a good tyre, usually pretty easy to source through tyre shops. Goldspeeds are probably considered the best, buy from here:

http://gezwebdesign.wix.com/goldspee...ldspeed-street

he's been importing the tyres for a while now.

For something that looks more offroad, try heidenau k73's:

http://heidenautires.com/motorcycle-street-tires/

Also being a long time supermoto fan, I have actually gone back to 21" and 18" with road tyres on them, a lot more choices for intermediate dirt/tarmac.

I was running a road tyre on the rear and a road biased dualsport up front, didn't slow me down at all and passed most of the guys riding around with 17"s on the track haha:

Ironically, I think the 17's do better on dirt roads that the tyres pictured above. I suspect because they are a stickier compound.
Old 07-03-2016
dbw Factory Pro

I've only just ordered a set of tyres but those Goldspeeds look pretty good, will keep that in mind for the next set, thanks.
I've gone road tyres, figured I have 3 other bikes with dirt tyres if I want to go that way.

"Life begins at the end of your comfort Zone"

CRF450R '08
XR680R
CR500R
DRZ400 for the wife
Old 09-03-2016
DBW Clubman

There's not much you can't do with motard tarmac tyres, my brother and I were riding on the beach an came across a fella on a tarded WR450. He was mucking about doing some slides and monos.

After having a chat with us he said he was off to Glenelg (the fancy beach in Adelaide) to cruise the boulevard hahaha.

Not many bikes you can do that sort of stuff on. Moral of the story, be adventurous!