dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 05-09-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Also...iridium plugs or regular in 1250cc inline4 with EFI?
Old 05-09-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Also...iridium plugs or regular in 1250cc inline4 with EFI?
Iridium plugs were specifically developed to deal with lean burn residues in 4T motors with EFI...I guess that's a yes, and also why they SUCK in 2Ts.
Old 06-09-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Thanks, if you shop around they dont cost a lot extra. So i may as well.

What about these OEM rubberised front sprockets...do some bike really need them or when i change to all steel notice no difference at all?
Old 06-09-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Thanks, if you shop around they dont cost a lot extra. So i may as well.

What about these OEM rubberised front sprockets...do some bike really need them or when i change to all steel notice no difference at all?
NEVER replace a compensating sprocket with direct drive. It's there because the engine design produces wear/harshness without it. Harleys have two!
Old 06-09-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Thanks for that Nutty.
I get it:- A cush drive.

Surely a cush-drive in a front sprocket would flog-out pretty quick though?
If the OEM part is cush; I'd likely cop it... cheaper than a screwed gearbox.

Seems like being a bodgy panacea to me; yet, if it did work: I'd go with it.
I'd be more about the rubberised rear sprocket though: More surface area.
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 06-09-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyone View Post
...Surely a cush-drive in a front sprocket would flog-out pretty quick though...
Not really, rubber to metal engineering is a very developed science now. There's not a heap of leverage on the countershaft sprocket hub because the outer sprocket is so small. Torque = force x radius, ergo, radius is small, torque applied to the rubber/metal bonds is low.

Harleys make north of 150Nm at the crank and you can buy torsional-compaction rubber comp sprockets for big twins...
Old 06-09-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
NEVER replace a compensating sprocket with direct drive. It's there because the engine design produces wear/harshness without it. Harleys have two!
DANG! I could only find all steel in 'up 1' tooth. 18t and i've fitted it, but not ridden it (lot of effort to fit a ****ing sprocket on roadies)

I'll ride it tomorrow and if i like the ratio i'll hunt down the proper one. Only now after i've bought it and made 10 calls to Yamaha dealers (who have all never even heard of these sprockets) did i finally find the rubber option online. http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF579RB/

OK for a couple of rides to get a feel for the ratio?
Old 06-09-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
DANG! I could only find all steel in 'up 1' tooth. 18t and i've fitted it, but not ridden it (lot of effort to fit a ****ing sprocket on roadies)
Never had a Harley huh? The entire primary drive/comp/clutch/two housings, rider and passenger footboards, etc, has to be removed...

Quote:
OK for a couple of rides to get a feel for the ratio?
Yeah, be gentle shifting both up AND down.
Old 06-09-2018
dbw Pro Addict

thanks!

Nah, no Harley. I've ridden one, 2000s roadking. I really liked it. I'll just keep trying all kinds of bikes forever Next bike will be more long range oriented.

I guess they're cramming a lot into a small space...but the 8 screw air cleaner removal and tank off for plugs and clutch slave and massive speedo housing for sprockets is less than ideal - but i am trying to practise my shed zen and just chill and enjoy being out there instead of in the office or the traffic.
Old 07-09-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
...I am trying to practise my shed zen and just chill and enjoy being out there instead of in the office or the traffic.
Good man! My day choices are fishing, surfing, riding motos, home renos, etc. Your time will come Grasshopper. (3 years sooner thanks to ScoMo)

Shed time is good therapy, especially road bikes because everything is buried so deep under loads of stuff.